Puppy Gulping Down His Food

tracylacy

Dogs DO gulp their food without chewing, often regurgitate ,then eat it again.

I would suggest feeding your pup whole lambshanks, large sections of roo tails, or lamb backbones, whole chicken carcases or large turkey wings.

You can feed them semi- frozen, too-- slows them up more.

feed him alone, and do not 'hover'! If he knows he is in a secure place, and will NOT be disturbed, he will lie down, and spend a the next 15 minutes or so having to work at getting his meal.

if you don't want to do that- mix all his food into a kong.. largeish pieces can be stuffed in a big kong! freeze that, and give it to him somewhere safe.

Again, thanks to all of you for your help.

I have been still feeding the dry food - just in smaller portions, which seems to be helping, I also think that he is beginning to realise that he doesn't have to eat it all in one mouthful!

I'm going to try chicken carcasses next, now that I am a little less worried about the whole thing - I know that he'll love them because he loves the chicken offcuts and skin that I gove them when I am cooking.

I have also had huge success with lamb flaps, I give them to him and he takes it straight to his crate and it takes him a good 15 min to get through it now, this morning he crunched the whole thing up, and took his time with it, it was only the last little bit - where he could almost swallow the whole thing - that he had a little bit of a gag. Hopefully this means that he is learning that no one is going to take it off oof him and he doesn't have to swallow it whole!

Edited by tracylacy

a good 15 min to get through it now, this morning he crunched the whole thing up, and took his time with it, it was only the last little bit - where he could almost swallow the whole thing - that he had a little bit of a gag. Hopefully this means that he is learning that no one is going to take it off oof him and he doesn't have to swallow it whole!

Good update :rolleyes:

We use Kongs and Treat Balls and Buster Cubes to slow down our dog's eating. They are great and also give some mental stimulation!

I know that these are a great idea, but I still worry about our older dog harrasing him while he's eating, I have tried kongs whilst supervising, but unfortunatley I can't do this all the time, there are times (like before work) when it's not possible to let him play with his food for 1/2 hour or so while I watch them.

• 1 month later...

Our 13 week lab is on raw chicken mince with kibble and veges, he use to eat the whole thing like a rissole in one go, now we mix it with water which thins it out and makes a gravy type mixture which takes longer to lick out of the bowl. However he will still swallow chicken wings in 5 bites.

great summer treats are wings/necks etc frozen into a big block of ice (like an icecream container/lunchbox size) and let the dogs play with the ice block :love:

This is a great idea. What I do though is cut the wing/neck into smaller pieces, My dogs were just licking above the wing, eating the wing then leaving the ice so now they have lots of smaller bits so it takes longer.

Hey there

I have the same prob with my pups gultping there food...

I am getting one of these for mine at home, they are a great idea, they have seperate chambers around a cone that slows your dog down when eating, you can also get ones that have cones in the middle that your dog has to eat around, hence having to slow down their eating habits..

Sorry if someone has already posted about these, but I havent read the entire thread

http://www.eatslowerpetdishes.com/dogdishes.html

hey there

i wouldn't stress about the gulping!! my two (staff X and p/b Amstaff) both gulp their food

Hyjak (staff X) is over two years old and he gulps anything and everything, always has always will i reckon.

Chicken frames slow him down as do lamb necks etc, but he still demolishes in short time.

Charlie (p/b Amstaff) is 4mnths old and he gulps it down, he gets the same amount as Hyjak twice a day and it only last on average 10 SECONDS!!

Same as Hyajk though, frames and BIG stuff slows him down and gives his jaw a work out.

I am yet to hear either of them choke or gag on anything even the chicken wings Hyjak takes in one hit without chewing.

Cheers

jez