Coconut Oil

my2boys

Hi everyone

Just wonering if anyone out there uses coconut oil in their dogs diet. I have tried a few oils but my fussy boy just doesnt like the taste of them so I then started giving him coconut oil and he just gulps it up. It seems to do the same job as fish oil with regard to skin and coat condition.

my2boys

I don't deliberately feed coconut oil, however I do feed my horses Copra and the dogs fall over each other to try to steal it from the buckets.

It brings the horses up beautifully. Great shine to their coats and good for fattening them up too. I'd imagine it would do the same for dogs and so would the oil.

Guest june.andnovas

coconut oil (and the flesh) is extremely good for your health .. and dogs. started added fish oil to my cats meat and my older cat doesn't notice it but my kitten isn't too sure about it. maybe coconut oil could be good for her?

it's full of good fats, none are staturated. or very little is.

though something to consume in moderation .. eat it everyday and you'll get chubby!

As long as it's not hydrogentated (or partially so), it seems to be OK.

However, I'd probably be more interested in feeding oil for Omega 3,6 and 9 benefit rather than as an energy source.

I feed a human grade blended oil called Mega Oil. My dogs seem to find it quite palatable but I blend it into their food.

From my understanding of the little bit I have reseached coconut oil does not make the dogs fat if anything it has the opposite affect. I have also found this little bit of info:

Virgin Coconut Oil is the richest natural source of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). Fed to pets it can have multiple benefits:

Reduces or eliminates odour and bad breath in dogs

Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis, itchy skin, etc

Makes coats become sleek and glossy

Helps reduce weight, increases energy, improves digestion

May help with arthritis or ligament problems

Can also be applied topically to cuts, wounds, infected ears, bites and stings

my2boys

Not true, coconut oil consists almost entirely of saturated fats and most of the the coconut oil you buy is hydrogenated to increase its melting point so it also has the capacity to produce trans fats.

As someone else said dogs are perfectly capable of dealing with high amounts of saturated fats, but even so I wouldn't choose coconut oil to feed to my dogs.

I got a small bottle of Virgin coconut oil from the health food store and had fed my boy for about 2 mths on alternate days. He loves the taste. It is supposed to be a good supplement for skin and weight control! I have not seen any weight loss in myself but my boy's skin did become less flaky. Have finished the bottle so might just buy another one.

I toss it in salads and I love the coconutty taste. :coffee:

I got a small bottle of Virgin coconut oil from the health food store and had fed my boy for about 2 mths on alternate days. He loves the taste. It is supposed to be a good supplement for skin and weight control! I have not seen any weight loss in myself but my boy's skin did become less flaky. Have finished the bottle so might just buy another one.

I toss it in salads and I love the coconutty taste. :p

I got the organic virgin coconut oil from the health food shop. My boy's skin has also improved. I was giving him fish oil caps but I couldnt find anywhere how much vit e to give him and I didnt want to over or under dose him.

From what I have read yes coconut oil does have saturated fats in it but they are different from butter etc. Some research has stated that coconut oil can reduce cholesterol levels in humans.

Maybe I need to read a little bit more about it :coffee:

I toss it in salads and I love the coconutty taste. :mad

I got the organic virgin coconut oil from the health food shop. My boy's skin has also improved. I was giving him fish oil caps but I couldnt find anywhere how much vit e to give him and I didnt want to over or under dose him.

From what I have read yes coconut oil does have saturated fats in it but they are different from butter etc. Some research has stated that coconut oil can reduce cholesterol levels in humans.

Maybe I need to read a little bit more about it :p

I try not to read too much into new fad foods or else I will end up taking 200 supplements a day :eek: But I tried the virgin coconut oil for months and when I had my blood tested, my triglycerides levels were lower so I think moderation is okie (I also take fish oil caps daily). My dog gets less than a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil on alternate days. I believe the virgin coconut oil has minute amounts of saturated fats and more of the good fats. However, switch to the usual coconut oil and we are in for a stuffed artery.

Having said that, my boy does consume chicken fat and beef fat from the raw meats and bones he takes daily. If I am not wrong, raw fats are converted to energy in dogs. Animal fats are mostly saturated. So confusing :laugh: Rule is if dog is healthy and enjoys, moderation is the key. :coffee:

Guest june.andnovas

Not true, coconut oil consists almost entirely of saturated fats and most of the the coconut oil you buy is hydrogenated to increase its melting point so it also has the capacity to produce trans fats.

As someone else said dogs are perfectly capable of dealing with high amounts of saturated fats, but even so I wouldn't choose coconut oil to feed to my dogs.

but not evil saturated fats. you're better off eating coconut oils than butter.

really depends where you buy your coconut oil!

I thought dogs were fine with a bit of saturated fat - different systems to us....

Actually, saturated fats are healthy for people too, it is the poly unsaturated fats that are deadly. Proper virgin coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils available for people - hydrogenated fat of any description is to be avoided like the plague.

"Having said that, my boy does consume chicken fat and beef fat from the raw meats and bones he takes daily"

As a mini breeder we would never feed beef i large quantaties as its a well known contributor to stones which can be common in meats .aslo a breed so highly prone t pancreatitis & high blood pressure fatty meast would be the last oon there diet

Good health food shops I think. I had a look recently, but the jars of it I saw were quite solid. Don't know if that is a temperature/winter related thing? I may look further and ask about the actual virgin coconut oil.

I use Virgin coconut oil everyday.

I oil pull with it, and also use it as a moisturiser and hair treatment.

I sometimes cook with it too.

It is solid in the colder weather, but becomes liquid as summer approaches. You can melt it easily by putting the jar in hot water. As a moisturiser it melts on contact with the skin.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I will keep him on the coconut oil (Organic Virgin) for now but will keep researching into it.

From what I have read coconut oil has had a bad rap for a few years and it seems to be now getting the thumbs up.

Oh and the one I get is unrefined not hydrogenated.

my2boys

"Having said that, my boy does consume chicken fat and beef fat from the raw meats and bones he takes daily"

As a mini breeder we would never feed beef i large quantaties as its a well known contributor to stones which can be common in meats .aslo a breed so highly prone t pancreatitis & high blood pressure fatty meast would be the last oon there diet

Hi Settrlvr,

What I meant was the fat on chicken skin and sometimes beef slices. When I feed my mini chicken wings, I hardly remove the skin on it. Also, I realised that he does not do to well on lamb/mutton as opposed to chicken. He tends to fart a lot when he consumes mutton/lamb/goat. Those visible fat bits left on chicken necks should be quite safe for a MS right? I once consulted a chinese herbalist and he told me to keep my ms away from red meats as such meats are "heaty" thus contributing to his skin itch. I kept away from beef for quite a while except for the occasional slice when I do cook for myself n those are usually slices with just very tiny bits of fat on them. I am constantly worried about giving him the wrong diet....