Seizures in Boxers

polomum

Hi......

Check this thread everyday for all the cute boxer piccys.......and there have been more lately which is really good!!!!! Keep em coming!!!!!

Does anyone know if the rumour is correct that boxers are more prone to seizures???

Koby our 13 year old brindle boy with dimentia (that's another story) had an aweful grand mal seizure about 2.30am......He sleeps outside in a winebarrel kennel directly outside our bedroom window with his doona coat on under a verandah......(we are in Strathalbyn SA). I awoke to the sound of thrashing and the kennel rocking .......raced outside and our poor boy was frothing at the mouth, legs in running motion, back completely rigid......OH didn't want me to put my hand in the kennel in case he bit me, but after about 45 seconds I did but couldn't console him at all.....completely glazed eyes.......took about 5 minutes before I could actually get him out of the kennel as his legs were'nt working properly....... Eventually got him inside (he has arthritis (using Vic C for this)

and also was badly incontinent (until we took him off all dry kibble) and is on a total raw diet now......

Koby took a good 30-45 minutes to settle....couldn't lie down without breathing rapidly (not panting).....I put him in the lounge to keep him warm (according to other posts that was wrong....supposed to keep him cool as temperature rises dramatically). After a while he was at the back door wanting to go out (freezing outside)........he did a huge wee (found pooh in his kennel this morning) drank steadily off and on for about an hour and then lay down on his trampoline dog bed and slept soundly.......Seems to be fine this morning.......

Yesterday morning I found he had poohed on his tranpoline dog bed and there was alot of froth dried up on his rug......didn't think of a seizure just thought he'd eaten grass and maybe regurgitated it overnight but he didn't move from his bed all day until feed time last night.........now realize he's probably had 2 seizures in 48 hours.......

I've read this morning on DOL that fish oil helps seizures.....any ideas if this is for small seizures or a grand mal as he had...

Will ring the vet shortly ......due to his age should I consider medications?..........his dimentia is quite bad......he knocks into things.....lays down looking at the wall of the house and barks......starts at around 4 or 5pm......am feeding him earlier now to try to stop the barking.......then about 8pm he walks down to his run and sits there and barks again (forgets that he's already been fed)..Lucky we live on medium acreage so no neighbours to worry......The only time he really seems 'normal' is when he wants his dinner......hardly wags his stubby tail any more......just not our old Koby boy at all...... Has slight incontinence but doesn't wake up in a pool of urine since we put him on a raw diet 8 months ago......

Any ideas on this at all.......We keep wondering when we go outside in the morning if he'll still be with us......and now seizures!!!!????? To add to this problem is the fact that we are moving in a few months to QLD and we've been worrying about Koby coping with the move.....heat esp in his old age..... and yep I'm teary and worrying heaps now.....Any ideas, help etc would be greatly appreciated....

Do you think this is in the correct thread???

Oh Polomum :clap::kissbetter:

It must be absolutely heartbreaking for you to see your boy go through this. Unfortunately i can offer no advice as i have never had a dog that had seizures or dementia. I just wanted to offer my support. :(

He sounds like he is getting very old, and i'm sure the seizures are not helping at all. What's his over all quality of life like? I'm not sure moving is going to be good for him either but again JMO and not a medical one at all. Maybe best to talk to your vet.

Not alot of people check out or post here in the Boxer thread. You may get more of a response if you repost this in health?People who have been through the same thing may be able to offer up their experiences.

In the meantime :):):o

Edited by Melbomb

Thanks guys for quick replys have emailed Tony to shift this to another section without me having to retype the whole thing.....Caesars mum how old is your gorgeous boxer in the pic just posted......makes me a little sad at this time seeing all the young boxers so full of energy and so bright.......Sunny here today so Kobys outside lying in the sun enjoying the warmth.......last summer his dimentia side of his brain told him it was ok to lay outside in 40 degrees, panting and eyes bulging.......unless we were home to watch him he had to be in his run in the shed......Old age is cruel!!!!!

Polomum, that is very difficult to cope with. However, I understand that when dogs have seizures, they are not aware.

I'd take him to the vet. Could be due to all sorts of things, including epilepsy.

Unfortunately, I have no good news for you. I bought my first boxer in 1968, and I've had quite a few since then. Two have had seizures. The first was misdiagnosed with epilepsy, and medicated for epilepsy. She was fine for a few months, although she continued to have occasional seizures. Then she had a major one, and had to be pts. She had either a brain tumor or pancreatic cancer.

The second to have a seizure did so at 1.30 in the morning. I took her to the vet. The seizures increased over the next 24 hours, and she was increasngly distressed, so the decision was made to send her to the rainbow bridge. She had a brain tumour.

You really need to have a good vet examine him. I hope he will be ok. 13 is a wonderful age for a boxer. I love old boxers, they are so gorgeous. Good luck with him, and let us know how he goes, please?

Thanks everyone for your kind replys.......Jed have you heard of other boxers with seizures in the time you have had boxers?

Our vet rang me back around midday and has ordered medication to have at the ready in case we need it........he said to let him know if there are any others and bring him in straight away......He said sometimes dogs have 2 or 3 seizures and then don't have any for a very long time and he doesn't like to overmedicate straight away......If dogs are having say 2 or more a month then he would go straight ahead with medication after a bloodtest....however due to Kobes age he said he would prefer to hold off and just watch him to see how he goes......He also said that it is better to let the dog fit by himself unless he's hurting himself......and then keep him cool and close to water.....

Kobe has been fine today and bouncing around at about 4pm getting ready for his evening meal.......he did sleep the day away as expected but quite bright by late afternoon.....hard to believe he's had 2 seizures in such a short time at all.......I have started him on fish oil this evening as it can't harm him and may be of some help.......so now we play the waiting game and see how he goes with careful watching.......

Thanks again and I'll keep in touch probably in the boxer forum.

I had an elderly boxer who had seizures, but I stress she was elderly, she was nearly 14yo.

Your old boy is 13, the chances are it is nothing at all Breed related.

I have seen many dogs suffer seizures in old age, different breeds.

At 13 I would suspect something is causing the seizures, other than epilepsy. Epilepsy tends to rear its ugly head a lot earlier than 13.

Exactly, it would not be epilpesy at this age I wouldn't think.

Seizures in geriatric dogs are usually caused by metabolic disorders such as hypoglycemia and hypothyroid issues to name a few. It can also signify cancer of some organs.

Hi all....

smiling 2day as koby was fine last night......must have been that fish oil hey!!!!!!

Kobys the most gorgeous, easy to look after dog in all the world......very, very precious boy who still thinks he's a pup at times taking balls n toys to his bed and guarding them from the other pooches......and we laugh at all his old age antics.....apart from the staring at the wall and barking at nothing.....n can't yell out to him from inside to be quiet cos he's almost totally deaf :laugh:

He's 100% loveable.....n don't want any suffering on his part!!!!!!

Jed have you heard of other boxers with seizures in the time you have had boxers

I have heard of the odd one (over 30 odd years) having seizures, probably epilepsy, but I've never had one, and I don' kow anyone who had a boxer which was having seizures. Obviously the seizures my two had were related to the cancer and they had never had a seizure at al before that

Hope the medication helps. :(

I have had a dog with epilepsy and the onset is usually around 2yrs because he is older and 13yrs is a wonderful age :love: I would take him to the vet for a checkup as it could be an underlying problem such as a tumor or cancer which is causing the fits. Sorry I don't want to upset you but thats more likely than just epilepsy.. :laugh: if he has never had fits before in his life.

Hi Melbomb .......check back 8 posts ago where I posted what our vet said......Kobys been fine and only had the 2 grand mals......so far so good.......will take him to the vet if there are any more.......He sleeps ALL day these days and then wakes in the evening where he barks and barks and gets himself in a real tizz until I feed him.....then he walks back and forth looking at me and looking where the food is kept for the next hour or so and then relaxes back to sleep.......He's one gorgeous special ole man!!!!!!