Dr Ian Billinghurst.

Guest english.ivy

Guest june.andnovas

I've bought two of his books.

Grow Your Pup With Bones and Give Your Dog A Bone. Both have similar information but the puppy one is very detailed. Explains greatly about the correct foods to feed that won't cause bone issues etc. and not giving your pup too much exercie.

I highly recommend both of these books, they are around $30 each. Just google his name and you'll find them.

I have been feeding this way for years now and a distributor of the barf. Read his books and I am happy to tell anyone about all the benefits of feeding a natural diet. Mind you his theory on better /easier whelping is something I will be talking about with him - providing he will give me the time of day.

As much as I believe in a natural diet I am not having much faith in the benefits on the breeding side of it at the moment. For me more than likely it is simply bad luck for my bitch, but after 2 C - sections - one last weekend, she had a prem delivery - 6 days early, possibly due to the placentas pulling away from the uterus, makes me question if what he says is true. This bitch has been bred /raised on this diet and now I am questioning just how good it really is. She is in excellent health and the vets can't for the life of them understand why she can't deliver naturally. She will never be bred again, simply not worth risking her health any more, but I have followed this diet for the purpose of better health for my dogs and for the supposed benefits of easier conception, pregnancy and especially the benefits of easier whelping.

I could look at the glass being half full and say that she recovers well after her surgeries but would rather she never needed them in the first place.

I will not be changing their diets from what they are on, but I am beginning to question if it really is that much better.

Edited by Andisa

Guest june.andnovas

thought he would be well known around here but was hoping for some newbies to come across this thread as many post wondering what to feed their pups and where to start.

Andisa thats no good about your bitch unable have a natural birth. could it be something in her genes?

thought he would be well known around here but was hoping for some newbies to come across this thread as many post wondering what to feed their pups and where to start.

Andisa thats no good about your bitch unable have a natural birth. could it be something in her genes?

Nope - her breeder said she is from a long line of easy breeders. This is something that no one can figure out. "It's just one of those things" seems to be what I keep getting told. I would much rather some real answers to all my questions but they simply don't know why.

Guest june.andnovas

Nope - her breeder said she is from a long line of easy breeders. This is something that no one can figure out. "It's just one of those things" seems to be what I keep getting told. I would much rather some real answers to all my questions but they simply don't know why.

Wondering, does she get all raw food or does she also get dry food added in? if she gets dry, which brand?

Lets just say we dont feed barf although we do feed half dry/raw in over 24 years of breeding we have never had a C section.

Only ever had 1 deformed pup & we now why.

I have friends who only feed BARF & swear by it others like me who have seen no real benefits than commen sense feeding & in fact in my breed those who have chosen BARF have sen an increased issue in certain health issue due to feeding this way.

Not all breeds can tolerate this form of feeding & you certainly need to understand what health issues your breed can be predisposed to.

We had one of our puppy buyers recently who changed to BARF & the dog is now experiencing health issues that are related to too much red meats

This is where sensible tweaking is in order I think. It would be interesting to see how much variety is offered in Raw Diet fed dogs that are suffering from health issues. Certainly where you live will often dictate how much variability you can offer in a raw diet. What vitamin supplements are given? Is the animal given too much in the mistaken belief that if a little bit is good, then a lot must be better.

I once had a dog that did not tolerate lamb...at all! So I have tweaked, and will tweak depending on the dog.

I know people that swear by feeding grains...I don't. Whenever I've fed grains that is when I started having skin issues and ear issues. So instead they got a greater variety of vegetables. In fact, I would say my version of the diet is very heavy on the vegetable matter. All of which is juiced with both the juice and pulp given to my dog.

My habit generally is to feed the dog that stand before me. In other words...Hmmm...I get a funny feeling you might need a little more fish, or a little more offal....so I regularly (daily) assess and feed. And I assess the outgoings as well. :rolleyes:

Wondering, does she get all raw food or does she also get dry food added in? if she gets dry, which brand?

No - I have been feeding a raw diet for about 5 yrs. a. I did feed some Eagle pack and Natural Balance for a while along with the raw but it was only for a few months. That was ages ago.

Most of the pups from the last litter are on the same diet and they are doing fantastic. I do think it is just this bitch- not all females can reproduce without problems. Just because there is a problem doesn't mean that something could have prevented it from happening. Main thing is my girl is doing well. They are fed variety, no worries there.

ETA: Oops made a boo boo.

Edited by Andisa

I think anyone who claims dogs fed on raw diets won't have any health issues is deluded.

It sure as hell won't prevent PRA as I have heard claimed before. :rolleyes:

I think it's better than a processed diet but not all dogs do well on it.

yep not a god here either :)

or here :(

:rofl:

Am I truely reading this Miranda.. is this the beginning of the end of our synergy of minds?? :)

:laugh: I think some of his ideas are good, but basically he implies that raw is 100% good and kibble is 100% bad and that's a little too black and white for me. I have an early edition of 'Give Your Dog A Bone' here and I find some of his suggestions a little bizarre, one of them is 'throw your dog a can of baked beans', can you imagine the results of that LOL. I am flicking through the book now and I disagree with quite a lot of it, but as I say it's an early publication and he's probably amended some parts in later editions.

I just checked the publication date and it's 1993 LOL, so I expect the later editions are very different. We also have to remember that dry dog foods are generally much better quality now, back in 1993, we had Pal Meaty Bites, Harpers Dog Chow and Winalot and that was about it, compared to what we have now these brands were all pretty ordinary.

I have nothing against the guy, but some of his comments were a bit hard to believe back in the early days, for instance he says that he recognises a kibble fed dog as soon as it walks into his surgery because of its thin bones and sickly appearance! That is just way over the top IMO.

BTW I feed only a mimimal amount of dry food, the majority of my dogs' food is from fresh animal sources.