Forced To Give Up Raw Feeding.

Joypod

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice please.

After Gus's latest bout of gastro which saw him in the hospital for 3 days, I've been advised to take him (and also Daisy) off their raw diet. The vet reckons Gus is just one of those dogs that is more sensitive to reacting to the bacteria in raw chicken and fish than most other dogs which is how they suspect he picked up this latest gastro bug.

I'm going to transition them both over to a combo of Orijen and Ziwipeak but now have the dilemma of how to keep their teeth clean. I'm toying with the idea of maybe just giving them both a chicken wing once a week to at least try and clean their teeth that way but again, I don't want Gus to get sick again.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks

Vic

Unfortunately, beef is one thing that's always upset Gus's tummy. :rofl:

I was wondering if giving them something like a carrot every now and then to munch on would do the trick?

As you can tell, I'm 'trying' to keep it as 'raw' as possible becuase I'm pretty disappointed I'm having to now feed them both processed foods. Even though the ones I'm going to feed a high quality, they're still not as good as a purely raw diet.

I wouldn't be feeding raw carrot if he has a sensitive stomach...

Do you use probiotics?

No but I've got some Holistic Transition powder and I used to give them natural yoghurt. Should I be giving him probiotics and if so, which ones?

The nylabones will work as well if you can get them to chew them. Louie will chews ours but Evie won't - sleective little buggers :rofl:

Thanks PH.. and hi :o

Do you worry about choking with nylabones though? Are they the same as rawhides?

I also use nylabones in lieu of real bones. The nylabones are not a digestiable product, they don't eat them. They are just hard rubber bones that they chew on. When the bones becomes too mangy, you throw it. This takes about 3 - 6 months with my lot.

Edited by PugRescueSydney

Ah, small dogs and their teeth!

In addition to hard biccies and lots of chicken necks I regularly clean Bonnie's teeth. If I leave them for a week or so, she starts to get some build up and less than flower-fresh breath. :thumbsup:

If you want to try cleaning their teeth manually, I found that the following worked well. I do her teeth with her on top of my washing machine, so she is at the right height. I worked gently up to being able to actually brush her teeth (with a tiny toddler's toothbrush and doggie toothpaste) by doing it in steps:

Just started with my index finger and no toothpaste, gently rubbing her teeth whilst praising her. Do this every few days for a week or two, until they are okay with it.

Then use your finger and a tiny bit of tooth paste...repeat until they are fine with the toothpaste.

Then use one of those cotton white gloves and tooth paste and a tiny bit more pressure.

Finally the toothbrush and toothpaste.

By being gentle, using graduated steps and lots of praise, I found this has worked really well. Bonnie has sparkling white teeth and nice breath! Chis can be BAD with their teeth too...blergh

For different reason other than yours, my previous girl couldn't be fed bones. I used to brush her teeth a few times a week and this helped to reduce tartar build up and also provided some massage effect to her gums.

Anything that relates to dietary issues I don't go past seeking the advice of Dr. Bruce Syme in Castlemain. Kal had sensitive stomach issues as well and he was very helpful and knowledgeable and was certainly worth the 2.5 hour trip I made. I don't like pulling people away from the Vets they are comfortable with, nor do I intend to. Only suggesting this because perhaps there is another way other than to pulling your dog off raw feeding completely and perhaps a second opinion would help.

Phone Number contact : (03) 5472 5477

ETA: Kal also received "TD Science Diet" as an added extra following her meals. These were not given with any nutritional factor in mind (as I don't think there are any) but they are designed so that the 'crunch' serves as an abbrasive to help clean the dog's teeth.

Edited by Erny

For different reason other than yours, my previous girl couldn't be fed bones. I used to brush her teeth a few times a week and this helped to reduce tartar build up and also provided some massage effect to her gums.

Anything that relates to dietary issues I don't go past seeking the advice of Dr. Bruce Syme in Castlemain. Kal had sensitive stomach issues as well and he was very helpful and knowledgeable and was certainly worth the 2.5 hour trip I made. I don't like pulling people away from the Vets they are comfortable with, nor do I intend to. Only suggesting this because perhaps there is another way other than to pulling your dog off raw feeding completely and perhaps a second opinion would help.

Phone Number contact : (03) 5472 5477

ETA: Kal also received "TD Science Diet" as an added extra following her meals. These were not given with any nutritional factor in mind (as I don't think there are any) but they are designed so that the 'crunch' serves as an abbrasive to help clean the dog's teeth.

Thanks Erny. Hills Prescription Diet t/d is what the vet suggested I put Gus onto but I'm not sure I want to give him even one every now and then. According to the ingredients, it contains things like calcium pantothenate and pyridoxine hydrochloride which apparently aren't all that good for dogs.... not sure, still doing my research. :wink:

I might give Dr Syme a call though because I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Sounds like you would be best to brush their teeth. I do that with mine. She doesn't mind it at all now. They make the toothpaste taste nice for them!

Can your dogs not eat bones?

Yes sorry she has Pancreatitas so is on a very very very strict diet. So i have to brush her teeth. Sounds so stupid but it has to be done i guess. I think she feels special when i do them as well.

Thanks Erny. Hills Prescription Diet t/d is what the vet suggested I put Gus onto but I'm not sure I want to give him even one every now and then. According to the ingredients, it contains things like calcium pantothenate and pyridoxine hydrochloride which apparently aren't all that good for dogs.... not sure, still doing my research. :wink:

You'd be right, Joypod. Back when I fed it to Kal (for a period ... not for an entirety) digestive upsets were not her immediate issue. That, and I know more now than I knew back then.

I might give Dr Syme a call though because I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I would be surprised if you didn't find this worthwhile.

Good luck and be sure to let us all know what you ended up doing and how it is going.

Joypod, can't add any advice (since all my knowledge is industry acquired lol) but wanted to say 'hi' and give Daisy and of course Gus biggest cuddles from us all. Daisy was good on all fooods when with us but of course that can change over time, and Gus' needs are different to hers. Best of luck finding the best compromise/solution.

Sounds like you would be best to brush their teeth. I do that with mine. She doesn't mind it at all now. They make the toothpaste taste nice for them!

Can your dogs not eat bones?

Bones aren't the be all and end all of teeth cleaning. I have found teeth brushing more effective in keeping build up at bay. I have also had dogs who were regularly fed bones however still got horrible build up.

Joypod, can't add any advice (since all my knowledge is industry acquired lol) but wanted to say 'hi' and give Daisy and of course Gus biggest cuddles from us all. Daisy was good on all fooods when with us but of course that can change over time, and Gus' needs are different to hers. Best of luck finding the best compromise/solution.

Thanks babe. :o

Daisy is a dream when it comes to food. That sweet girl will eat anything without any fuss at all. Fat-boy inhales his food but unfortunately seems to be predisposed to these bouts of gastro.

Daisy is loving the mix of Ziwipeak and Orijen and Gus is about to be transitioned over from the boiled chicken he's been on the last couple of days.

I'll be sure to give Daisy an extra big cuddle from you all. :confused: