Grooming Siberian Huskies

Ditto to tkay, I don't wash my Sibe often but when he is maulting I like to book him into the dog groomers for a professional wash and blow dry to get a lot of the excess hair out (probably 2-3 times a year max). I doubt he would get bathed more than 3-4 times a year. They are a naturally clean dog as dirt and grime etc slides off their guard hairs.

Edited by huski

Depends I suppose... pet or show dog?

My young Sibe bitch gets a hydrobath and a blow dry once a week because I want to keep her coat in good condition for shows.

The old boy is lucky to get a bath twice a year, and Luna gets a bath and blowdry once a fortnight or so - mostly because she is indoors so much and I don't want a fur blizzard inside my house.

ETA: I always use something mild, like Aloveen.

Edited by -Miss B-

Depends I suppose... pet or show dog?

My young Sibe bitch gets a hydrobath and a blow dry once a week because I want to keep her coat in good condition for shows.

The old boy is lucky to get a bath twice a year, and Luna gets a bath and blowdry once a fortnight or so - mostly because she is indoors so much and I don't want a fur blizzard inside my house.

ETA: I always use something mild, like Aloveen.

I thought that was bad for their coats :thumbsup: affects their natural oils ??

I was always told only to bath my husky every few months or it would ruin his coat - it doesn't if you're careful about what you use.

During winter I pretty much don't bath him - only if he gets staining to his coat towards the end of winter (the "old" coat stains easily - aka right before the coat blow) but when he is blowing coat - it's about every 2 weeks for a couple of months just because i know he's uncomfortable during this time (he itches when he's blowing coat) so I bath (to loosen up the dead coat) and then blow dry (to blow the dead coat out) before i give him a massive going over with the furminator.

I think it's different for everyone. I've heard of a few show people who bath weekly and don't have a problem (but all use good quality shampoo like aloveen or plush puppy) and then i know others who bath every couple of weeks or monthly without a problem too.

My advice is find what works for you and your dog! The same way people all wash their hair at different intervals, smoe dogs might stand up to weekly baths, whereas some might not.

The show people i now bath for every show

Yes I agree, bathing a dog weekly won't have a negative effect on a dog's coat providing you use good quality products.

Plush Puppy have some breed specific grooming articles on their website Plush Puppy Just go to General Info and then Breed Grooming Articles and there are three articles about grooming sibes for the show ring.

Don't worry, I can't keep mine in show condition for more than 3 days, even while living in a crate!

I wash my show boy weekly with Aloveen or Kelko All Natural and haven't had a problem at all, in fact he is outside in the rain ATM with water just beading off him and he is happy as larry - I last washed him 4 days ago.

My pet girl gets washed on the change of season (4 times a year) or if I am particularly lazy she can quite happily go with 2 washes per year :laugh:

So it shouldnt do much to her coat... i got a little worried when i was told once every 4 weeks coz i know i cant keep her in show condition for that long. if i use a good shampoo there should be no worrys... thank you

All shampoo strips the oil... A "good" shampoo still will.

So it shouldnt do much to her coat... i got a little worried when i was told once every 4 weeks coz i know i cant keep her in show condition for that long. if i use a good shampoo there should be no worrys... thank you

I wash my show girl with Aloveen every single week and her coat is beautiful. No problems at all with her skin - not dry, not flaky, not itchy.

I wash my show girl with Aloveen every single week and her coat is beautiful. No problems at all with her skin - not dry, not flaky, not itchy.

Never said you'll get any problems.

I wash before a show. IF i'm showing a few weeks in a row - and my dog stays fairly clean, i may just wash the whites (legs & chest) to clean the dog up before the next show.

There is no need for a Siberian who isn't attending a show in the next day/week/month to be washed regularly.

My dogs get washed maybe once or twice over winter when we are racing instead of showing - usually when the smell of them gets too much :laugh:

And personally i couldn't find the time or effort to wash my dog every week unless i needed to go to a show.