Photo Challenge 5: 29 Oct - 12 Nov

Ashanali

I was wondering if we could get some info on the shots so we could see what lens and exif etc? I like the one of Chopper in-between the pillars and wondering what lens you used?

Thanks, it was the 50mm, I've added the details to my post.

This is my communication I use to talk to Rocco.

Nice idea, nice pics :confused:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice roses piper :rofl: I've been practising on the roses for the past month and a half. The red bush I have out the front is so red I can't seem to help myself :birthday:

IMG_5666.jpg

Canon400D lens f/3.5-5.6 18mm-55mm @ 55.0mm ISO 100 f/5.6 1/500

Chopper is looking very handsome out the front of your place ruth, I like the first in the grass pic too :o

I was going for a through-the-picket-fence type idea:

gum04.jpg

@ 47.0mm ISO 400 f/5.6 1/25

another and with a little lightroom editing:

gumlr03.jpg

@ 55.0mm ISO 400 f/5.6 1/15

Love your communication pics rocco

oookay... the front of my house has my favourite spider. Unfortunately she has moved her web over the last few days and it is harder to get in close to her with a 50mm.

I am practicing shooting with wide open aperture so most of these are at 1.4.

3002596280_1277b29765_b.jpg

3001762037_ef9de3c5d5_b.jpg

it was very windy and a few little flowers blew into her web and she promptly went and removed them.

3002593008_db258eeac2_b.jpg

Then I went and photographed the flowers in my front yard. A few days ago there was an abundance of roses... today there was only this one left

3002593254_d60f117e98_b.jpg

3002593826_ffdfe06928_b.jpg

3001759979_f0e9849df0_b.jpg

3001761323_e655a548b1_b.jpg

( I didn't realise I had so many flowers in my yard :confused: )

This one doesn't count for the task... it was taken last week when her web was in a better position. It was also taken with a different lens (70 - 200mm, 2.8). I just wanted to post it because she is such a pretty spider. :rofl:

2953634699_dcd174f97d_o.jpg

I LOVE golden orb weavers. I think they make the most beautiful intricate webs, paticularly nice with morning dew. We had a few around my uni and they'd build their webs high up in the power lines and neatly line up all the insects they caught.

Also love huntsmans, bit jumpy and hard to handle when running, but cute fluffy spiders nonetheless.

I am a spider phobe but even I was upset when watching Swift and Sure or whatever that new SBS show is (made by the ones who made Fat Pizza) when a woman killed a golden orb spider, they showed it squashed!!

I love Orb Weavers (as long as they don't build webs where I need to walk). I was upset one day last year when I heard my neighbour outside spraying madly. They are immigrants and thought the orb weavers were dangerous to their kids. My partner went out and explained that they are native, not dangerous and actually good for keeping insect numbers down. Thank god he stopped spraying but so many would still have died :(

Ashanali I really love your rose. I actually like the spider taken with the 70-200 the best, it's really gorgeous. Do you think the 70-200 added more quality on the picture or because the colour and composition is brighter and tighter then the others with the 50mm?

I have to admit I got a bit of a fright with those web spinners and thought they might eat me and my dog, so I sprayed. But I am wiser now the longer I live here. :( RIP spiders.

Chezzyr I am pretty sure it has to be images purely taken and related to the challenge.

Ashanali I really love your rose. I actually like the spider taken with the 70-200 the best, it's really gorgeous. Do you think the 70-200 added more quality on the picture or because the colour and composition is brighter and tighter then the others with the 50mm?

I think it is a number of factors.

The lens is an obvious one. The tasks for the challenge were shot at 1.4 and the last spider image was shot at 2.8. The depth of field would have made a huge difference as would the focal length.

The spider had moved her web and restructured it which meant that the look of the web was different (it doesn't have that lovely arc anymore) and she had also changed the angle. With the 50mm it was harder to get in and there was obviously no blue background (kindly provided by my blue Tarago). The 70-200 meant I could step back from the spider and move into a different position around the hedge so it has a vastly different POV.

The weather conditions and lighting also played a role. The day I photographed the photos for the challenge, it was on the verge of raining (so very dark) and very windy. The spider web was blowing all over the place (and seeing as how I was so close to her, she nearly ended up on my camera more than once :( ), the other photo was taken on a glorious golden afternoon when 'pidey and web were bathed in a beautiful warm light.

Just goes to show... there are many factors that go into taking pleasing photos. It is never just a matter of 'point and shoot'. :cheer:

Thanks. Yes there sure is a lot of factors for a picture. I do like the 50m 1.4 images I have seen on here lately. But I think I will just put it into my 70-200 and with my 24-70 will do me for awhile in the way of lenses.

.... blue background (kindly provided by my blue Tarago)....

:) I never woulda guessed that, handy!

I sat in my front yard for a little while yesterday afternoon, tried to avoid the roses, I seriously have in excess of 100 photos of roses that I've taken and edited and uploaded to photobucket since the beginning of October both from my front and back yards! (if anyone has missed me mention my total absorption in photography of late :coffee: ) and I found a rock and a log of interest. To be honest I was actually out there looking for people, and no-one passed on foot, a couple of cars ... I supppose I live in a quiet street :angel:

Anyway, this is a rock in my front garden bed used as decoration ...

same camera but I went back to my 75mm-300mm for these

eta: I think the composition is a little off in these 2, but I like this one because it looks like it could be in a fish tank or something? and I like the second one because it looks like it could be a rhino's eye? :coffee:

rock.jpg

@ 255mm ISO 100 f/5.6 1/125

oh, and I like the inanimate objects at the moment, I like that I can use some heavy handed editing and it can still look okay, I do the same sort of editing on the dog pics and it mostly looks horrible :coffee:

and this is an old twisted log that is also in my front garden bed and used as decoration ...

log03.jpg

@ 300mm ISO 100 f/5.6 1/50

and I had to try the picket fence idea again:

picketfence.jpg

@ 75mm ISO 100 f/4.0 1/500

:)

Edited by Clicking Mad

I sat in my front yard for a little while yesterday afternoon, tried to avoid the roses, I seriously have in excess of 100 photos of roses that I've taken and edited and uploaded to photobucket since the beginning of October both from my front and back yards! (if anyone has missed me mention my total absorption in photography of late :laugh: ) and I found a rock and a log of interest. To be honest I was actually out there looking for people, and no-one passed on foot, a couple of cars ... I supppose I live in a quiet street ;)

clicking mad, think about going over to Flickr, I bet your pics will look alot sharper, more like they look to you on your own computer pics file. Perhaps others sites are good too, I dont know but I've recently changed from photobucket to flickr. Have a look at the two pics here and see the difference.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...150626&st=0

Took these about half hour ago

1) Butterfly grab shot, red brick house background.

Shutter speed 1/160, f 3.5, iso 200

original.jpg

2) Reflections in wheel. My sub $10 croc look-a-likes reflected in the Corvette's wheel.

Shutter 1/200, f 5, iso 200

original.jpg

3) Holes in the fence. First time I had noticed.

Shutter 1/160, f5, iso 200

original.jpg