Raw Food No Good For Pups?

Kyra

Last night we had to take Brodie to an after hours emergency Vet as he was constantly throwing up, the Vet asked what we feed him and after telling her it's a mix of raw and premium puppy dry food she said that the raw is no good for a growing puppy :thumbsup:

She said I should be feeding him a good brand of tin and dry food with the occasional drink of puppy milk and to stop the raw until he's older and doesn't need so much calcium..

This isn't my usual vet and according to the vet we see regularly the raw is a fine diet for pups? Do the people on here who feed raw, only feed it to adults? I'm so confused and I don't know what's best anymore after so many different points of view. So basically, should I stop feeding my puppies raw and change them to a puppy formula and only give raw food occasionally?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest june.andnovas

Same thing I'm wondering. Was just told by a vet nurse/nutrionist that pups only need bones once a fortnight :coffee: as their tummies are undeveloped. She gets chicken wings every second day but now I will give them a couple times a week. She just loves eating bones though and it keeps her busy!!

So hard when you're trying to feed the best possible option for the pup to aviod creating any health issues!

I was told by a vet that my Samoyed pup would get very sick as I fed him raw meat, apparently I should have him on Science Diet, and how wonderfully helpful he happened to have it all in stock too :coffee:

Some people are just weird. I feed my dog exactly what the breeder feeds his dogs and Mistral is fine.

I always wonder at the attitudes of these vets, (i don't see this perticular guy anymore anyway) and I have wanted to ask how on earth did dogs manage to survive for so long without all that nice expensive food they peddle :hug:

Ughhhh!!

Why do people listen to vets that are not there usual.

Vets do very little in the way of dog nutrition in there studies. Most of it is sponsored by dog food companies anyway.

There are many many breeders, owners, rescuers that feed raw from birth on without issues.

Feed what your dog does best on.

I feed RAW and have done for years and wouldnt go back to feeding kibble on a regular basis ever it costs to much for a start and the stink and amount of poop is another.

I've been told so much conflicting advice on the topic of what to feed my pup that I've stopped asking. I think some dogs can react differently to what they are fed so it might be a case of trial and error. See what your dog responds to best and then stick to that?

Oh dear- all our poor pups :coffee:

We have working sheepdogs- all kennelled outdoors- and mostly fed raw.

Puppies are weaned straight onto raw meaty bones.

The also get some puppy dry food..NEVER milk.

I have never seen diarrhoea in any of our pups- the all do tiny little formed poo from day 1.

No vomiting, either ... just bulging tummies and good strong teeth/jaws.

most of them live well into their teens after a lifetime of hard active work, and eating tons of bones :cry:

Our tiny pups get enormous beef/lamb bones, and they suck meat off them safely.

As they are able to chew- they get DRY puppy kibble, and smaller chewable bones- mostly rabbit/mutton/some chicken wings...

Most are chewing up bones well very quickly :cry:

Unfortunately- 'modern' dogs are often a bit 'delicate' and may not be able to handle 'real' food :hug:

Vets will recommend the canned foods,as long as the companies give bonuses to those who stock/sell it :)

Kyra:

She said I should be feeding him a good brand of tin and dry food with the occasional drink of puppy milk and to stop the raw until he's older and doesn't need so much calcium..

Sooo exactly what does she think all those digestible bones that growing pups on raw diets get fed are made of. Bone is one of the BEST sources of calcium, and importantly, its correctly balanced in bone with phosphorus.

Stuff up raw feeding and your growing pup will suffer.. but a correctly balanced raw diet is NOT calcium deficient.

My baby pup got digestible bones (chicken necks, wings) 2 meals in 4. As an adult he still gets bones 2 meals in 3.

Edited by poodlefan

I was the same when we first got Lili but after doing lots of reading we decided to feed mainly raw with some kibble at times.

Lili has been getting raw meaty bones since she was 12 weeks, that's what the breeder was feeding her. She gets beef bones, lamb shanks and necks, chicken drumsticks...all raw....she's never had diarrhea or any other problems, she's growing well and she looks beautiful. :coffee:

I've heard so many ignorant things come from vets since we got Lili it makes you wonder.....

I think if you're worried about not feeding raw properly feed kibble as well, that's what were doing, I want to switch over to completely raw once she's grown.

But as for a vet saying no bones?????? What??? Ok, sure I'll just feed Hills and see you in ten years when my dog needs massive dental surgery...rubbish.

Don't let them scare you out of feeding raw

ETA: We give Lili a bone most days as part of her diet.

Edited by Aussie3

I just hate vets pushing what they stock to us folks. I feed raw (BARF). Over 40 years ago Mum and I used to breed Wire Haired Fos Terriers - they lived on table scraps and meaty bones. They were shown at Crufts and none of them had any serious health problems and they lived to a ripe old age!

Over 40 years ago Mum and I used to breed Wire Haired Fos Terriers - they lived on table scraps and meaty bones. They were shown at Crufts and none of them had any serious health problems and they lived to a ripe old age!

:coffee:

That would have been a varied and balanced diet..... with none of the chemicals and processing. :hug:

Vets will recommend the canned foods,as long as the companies give bonuses to those who stock/sell it :coffee:

I agree raw is best, but I have to comment on this, what bonuses?? In all the years I have worked in and around Vet Surgerys we have never received any kickbacks for selling food. Maybe the odd bunus buy of bigger bag for same price, or a storage bin which are passed on to the customers. It is a fallacy that Vets sell the food because the receive kickbacks for doing so, it is stocked by the major Vet Wholesalers, and it is easy to sell food to the customer than to try and deal with constant questions on feeding, or dealing with malnourished pets and yes that still happens today, but kickbacks, sorry I know of none.

Guest june.andnovas

kelp for dogs.

I'm pretty sure what I'm feeding Ivy is going well, she hasn't had one sloopy poop since I've had her but I know I'm lacking the vege side as she won't eat slops. Though she will eat left over vege from my dinner. Reading about powdered vege supplements (there are a few around) I was just reading up on Kelp and it sounds like a great item to add in place of vegetables.

Does anyone else add Kelp on its own? I'm going to get my hands on some and just add this to her morning meal, aswell as flaxseed oil.

Guest june.andnovas
June don't feed straight veggies.. mix them in with mince to improve palatability. You're feeding them as much for fibre as anything else.

Kelp is a useful additive but there are better balanced supplement around.

Yeah I know veges aren't good whole/one their own, just did it once. What are some good supplements?

Vets will recommend the canned foods,as long as the companies give bonuses to those who stock/sell it :coffee:

I agree raw is best, but I have to comment on this, what bonuses?? In all the years I have worked in and around Vet Surgerys we have never received any kickbacks for selling food. Maybe the odd bunus buy of bigger bag for same price, or a storage bin which are passed on to the customers. It is a fallacy that Vets sell the food because the receive kickbacks for doing so, it is stocked by the major Vet Wholesalers, and it is easy to sell food to the customer than to try and deal with constant questions on feeding, or dealing with malnourished pets and yes that still happens today, but kickbacks, sorry I know of none.

Seems to be a common misconception that vets get bonuses/money from food companies for selling their food. Not sure where people are getting this info from, I'd really love to know. No company gives us bonuses for selling/using their products. We might get a couple of dollars off if we buy a certain amount of stock, but same thing happens with buying shampoos and drugs.

I don't agree with vets telling people not to feed raw food. But there are some dodgy people out there, and I can guarantee that if vets told owners to feed bones, there'd be a few who'd feed the wrong type, end up with intestinal obstructions, and try and sue the pants of the vet that told them to feed bones. Dry food might not be everyone's first choice, and I agree a raw diet, or diet with raw in it is much better, but at the end of the day, the dry food sold at clinics meets a dogs nutritional requirements and is an acceptable and 'safe' diet to feed.