Does Twisted Stomach = Gastric Torsion ?

I got a message that Jyra's mother (Jessie) died. This is what my friend wrote:

I fed her her dinner and a little later heard her crying. She had twisted her stomach.

We got her to the vet, but the vet was unable to reverse the twist.

These people are not registered breeders and don't know all about dogs, so I am wondering, when they mention that she twisted her stomach, is that the same thing as gastric torsion or bloat?

And what are the chances of Jyra having the same thing happen to her? Jyra is on a raw diet, Jessie was on dry and tin dog food. Jessie was 8 years old and Jyra is 6 at the moment.

Yes that is gastric torsion or bloat.

There is a lot of debate surrounding bloat and what causes it, but I think I have read that there is a greater chance if another dog in the family has had it. I know of a few GSDs that died from bloat, 8 yrs seems to be the age too.

Yep, sounds like bloat/torsion/GDV whatever you want to call it.

I believe it is thought to run in families so your girl could be at higher risk. But then Shepherds in general have a higher risk of GDV anyway.

That said sometimes it will happen out of the blue regardless of what precautions you take and whether your dog is a higher risk or not.

We lost our very fit and healthy 12yo Corgi a couple of months ago to bloat. She had had a normal day, fed her normal dinner at the usual time. Was a little "quiet" later that night when I let her out for last toilet before bed but not enough to ring alarm bells. No crying, panting, nothing. Woke in the morning and she was in bed still which was unusual. Called to her and realised she was very depressed and pale and looked like she was 8 weeks pregnant. Rushed to the vet immediately for emergency care and the corrective surgery. She held on for 36 hours but sadly the shock was too much for her and she died. :banghead:

She was the first Corgi with bloat my vets had ever seen and they have many years of experience between them. Since we lost her tho we have heard of the occasional Corgi getting it but it is very rare.

I have also heard of dogs fed raw food who got it.

I think it is just one of those things that will happen if it is going to happen regardless of the risk or the precautions you might take. Best thing to do is be aware of the symptoms as the earlier you get treatment the more chance the dog has of survival. We have now changed to morning feeds instead of night as that way if it should happen again I will be awake and hopefully notice the symptoms early enough to get treatment in time.

Bloat is when the stomach fills with gas.-torsion, is when it twists itself around.

(imagine a two ended balloon.... both ends are 'almost' closed... and the middle is filling up with gas.... One end closes off! gas keeps expanding.... then the whole airfilled bit rotates...shutting off both ends completely!!! gas keeps on expanding the balloon.......not good. :laugh: )

I think it is just one of those things that will happen if it is going to happen regardless of the risk or the precautions you might take. Best thing to do is be aware of the symptoms as the earlier you get treatment the more chance the dog has of survival.

I agree.

Bloat is when the stomach fills with gas.-torsion, is when it twists itself around.

(imagine a two ended balloon.... both ends are 'almost' closed... and the middle is filling up with gas.... One end closes off! gas keeps expanding.... then the whole airfilled bit rotates...shutting off both ends completely!!! gas keeps on expanding the balloon.......not good. :) )

I had my first Shepherd years ago get into the kids leftovers which included cooked broccoli and ended up with bloat.Vet was able to save her but he told me the broccoli had fermented and given off a gas which caused it so please be careful about things like that

Unfortunately i've seen as many things saying such causes it as stops the problem - eg raising the food bowl will lower the risk of bloat, raising the bowl will raise the risk of bloat; raw food will lower the risk of bloat, raw food will increase the risk of bloat; dry food will raise the risk of bloat, dry food will lower the risk of bloat; bloat is genetic, bloat isn't genetic.

Personally i've one of those people that believe if it's going to happen it's going to happen and that it will be one of those freak things that if you are quick enough to see it happening and get the dog to the vet the dog might just make it. But in the end there's nothing that you do or don't do that is particularly going to stop the chance of it happening - comes down to bad luck.

I think it is just one of those things that will happen if it is going to happen regardless of the risk or the precautions you might take. Best thing to do is be aware of the symptoms as the earlier you get treatment the more chance the dog has of survival.

As said above basically.

Bloat occurs then the stomach can twist (gastric torsion).

I believe there are some breeds that are more prone to both bloat then the twisted stomach then others.

I believe there is a bloat kit that contains a needle you plunge into the stomach, through the skin, to relieve pressure. Probably a good idea for people with bloat prone breeds to have one handy.

A preventative to stop the stomach twisting is to actually attach part of it to the chest wall so it can't flip.