Heartworm Injection

Diana

I am with Cavandra on this.

Far too many dogs have died as a result of the Proheart Injection or Proheart tablest or had very adverse reactions.

It can take months for an adverse reaction to occur and for me I will NOT risk my furkids to this drug.

They have daily Dimmitrol tablets for heartworm prevention and it is not a hassle to remember to give it as I place the Dimmitrol container next to their dishes to remind me to give it at feeding time.

Just had a look at the receipt from the Vet and what Daniel was given is called a Proheart SR-12 Injection don't know the difference between that one and the Proheart 6 or if there is any but maybe its worth while looking into.

There could be some changes that have been made to the product.

Just had a look at the receipt from the Vet and what Daniel was given is called a Proheart SR-12 Injection don't know the difference between that one and the Proheart 6 or if there is any but maybe its worth while looking into.

yeah, one lasts 6 months the other 12.

The difference is that the Proheart 12 (12=12 months) is THREE times the dose of the previously Banned product Proheart 6 (6 =6months)

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!!! Most of the reasons have already been given. I prefer the monthly.

What scares me is that vets give it with the annual vaccination :laugh: Don't they read the instructions on the pack :) It says not to give within a month of the annual vaccination :(

I have been going to the same Vet for twenty years now. I am confident that if there were any serious side effects I would have been made aware of it at the start.

They are very well known and respected in the field and have clients coming from all over Adelaide.

I certainly trust their opinion.

I was made aware that the heartworm injection is more expensive than your monthly prohart or heartgard chewables.

I decided that I would try the yearly injection as it made much more sense to have it done on a yearly basis.

And yet they gave your dog the heartworm injection on the same day as their annual vaccinations, which is directly contraindicated by the manufacturers of the drug?

And yet they gave your dog the heartworm injection on the same day as their annual vaccinations, which is directly contraindicated by the manufacturers of the drug?

Why not? The incredibly 'respected' vet of a friend stated emphatically that Phenomav had absolutely no side effects. :love:

Vets are like doctors - they bury their mistakes.

• 4 weeks later...
My dogs get the heartworm injection. The first one is blown up the nose then it's injections thereafter. No ill effects on my two.

Why wouldn't you use them on collie breeds, InspectorRex?

I though heartworm was a vacc only??

Canine cough is the only vacc im aware off given up the nose.

We do not recoomend it to our puppy owners & if they chose to use it its against our advice.

Good vets will give the pros/cons & the risks but most dont because its a good money earner & the prices they charge are plain ridiculous .

It may be convient but i wouldnt waste that much money when there are safer options & cheaper options.Isnt that hard to give a monthly/daily pill unless you have a health issue that makes it a problem.

We have vets here charging betwenn $120- #170 ,i say come in sucker

actual bottle for vets to buy is $1000 from suppliers hence why it is so expensive

Friend of mine had her two dogs vacc and given the heartworm jab at the same time and they both got a little sick, she went back to the vet (not sure if it was the same one) and he told her that some dogs will react if both are given at once so they recommend staggering it. When I moved down the hill where there was more risk of heartworm I got my two the jab and they had no apparent side effects, it was lucky that it was about 6 months after their annual vaccs anyway so that was good. When I took mine to a new vet he tried to convince me to get them all at once (and get the heartworm one early!), I told him what I'd been told and he reckoned he'd never heard of it, he was an arrogant terd anyway and wasn't listening to a word I said so I wont be getting him again.

I have been going to the same Vet for twenty years now. I am confident that if there were any serious side effects I would have been made aware of it at the start.

They are very well known and respected in the field and have clients coming from all over Adelaide.

I certainly trust their opinion.

I was made aware that the heartworm injection is more expensive than your monthly prohart or heartgard chewables.

I decided that I would try the yearly injection as it made much more sense to have it done on a yearly basis.

Actually the manufacturers do suggest that it can be given at the same time as a vaccination.

There is nothing on the product information supplied with the drug that states otherwise.

They actually suggest that pups can be started on proheart S12 at the time of their final vaccination.

My previous lab girl and my youngest lab boy were on the annual heartworm injection but awhile ago after reading a number of posts on DOL regarding this with some pretty persuasive arguments/info on this I swapped over to monthly chewables for my 3 lab boys. Whilst my dogs didn't experience any negative reactions to these injections I was always concerned about 12mths worth of this medication being pumped into their systems in one go, albeit slow release.

This is the boxed warning in the Caution section of manufacturers information for Proheart 6, which contains one third of the active ingredient of Proheart 12.

BECAUSE OF ITS POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS ADVERSE DRUG REACTIONS AND THE

ABSENCE OF IDENTIFIABLE RISK FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH THOSE REACTIONS,

PROHEART 6 IS ONLY INDICATED FOR THOSE DOGS IN WHICH ALTERNATIVE

PREVENTATIVES CANNOT BE EFFECTIVELY ADMINISTERED.*

Any vet reading this should not be recommending the general use of the injection, let alone giving it at the same time as other vaccines that also have the potential for adverse events.

This is the boxed warning in the Caution section of manufacturers information for Proheart 6, which contains one third of the active ingredient of Proheart 12.
BECAUSE OF ITS POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS ADVERSE DRUG REACTIONS AND THE

ABSENCE OF IDENTIFIABLE RISK FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH THOSE REACTIONS,

PROHEART 6 IS ONLY INDICATED FOR THOSE DOGS IN WHICH ALTERNATIVE

PREVENTATIVES CANNOT BE EFFECTIVELY ADMINISTERED.*

Any vet reading this should not be recommending the general use of the injection, let alone giving it at the same time as other vaccines that also have the potential for adverse events.

Proheart 6 is used in the USA, not here, Proheart 12 is used in Australia.

Until Australia falls in line with the USA on this it will continue to be used as per manufacturers directions.

BTW my Vets do not advise using it.