Wildlife Photography

rocco

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This praying mantis was climbing up our wall outside on Tuesday evening. This is why I'd love to own a macro lens, so I can get close to beasties like this. Got to love an insect who cannibalises her husband.

She had yucky house spider web on her delicate legs so we tried to clean them for her but found that she can do that herself. She ate the web off and started to groom her legs like a cat.

We placed her on the gardenia bush outside the front as I've seen aphids on it for her to eat.

3118224778_0f78917925.jpg

The light was so harsh on her here I converted it to a quick b/w conversion.

- On my husband's hand.

3117425091_7205770b89.jpg

Edited by Ripley

A few more wild bird shots.

This was in midday lighting, which I hate as it throws harsh shadows, but what can you do. Got the little fella to at least look at me.

Blue tit on bird feeder.

3117396715_a6f44cb2ec.jpg

Anyone know what these birds are? One of them is a finch, is the other a woodpecker?

3118224896_cb87b4b01e.jpg

I have a couple. A dragonfly on my fish pond.

IMG_0185cropped.jpg

Brown marsh frog eggs in same fish pond. Not quite wildlife yet, but they will be one day if the fish don't eat them.

IMG_0208.jpg

Actually my fish pond is a source of unlimited wildlife. :thumbsup: Not sure if I caught something hiding in this water lily or not, but it looks as though it could be a tiny little lizard or something.

IMG_1882.jpg

This owl photo was taken at a bird of prey rehabilitation hospital. The injured raptors who come in are treated and released to the wild but the 2 women who run the hospital also have a few captive bred owls used for free flying 'owl awareness' education and they have trained them to hunt their own food and return home. This owl goes home with the owner each night and sleeps in her barn and even catches the mice who venture in. I took this in the barn where he was perched so it was dark inside it. As it was late in the afternoon, about 2 hours before sunset, he was becoming more alert, being a nocturnal bird, and calling out to another owl there.

3117424997_0776e9b2d4.jpg

It's the owl from Harry Potter. He was also hanging around in the large barn.

Snowy Owl

3117396865_bf828ccd99.jpg

Edited by Ripley

Oh that is a very cute frog! I rarely get to see frogs only hear them. I guess I don't

have a frog friendly garden. We almost took a drive to Healesville yesterday but

went in a different direction (Yarra Junction) instead.

I used to find frogs occasionally when I was gardening but it's only been in the last two years that I've had taddies and that all started because the frogs bred in the dogs wading pool. That lead me to buy those pretty china bowls as water gardens and it's all gone from there.

Edited by Kirislin

I'm lucky to have kookaburras nesting in one of our "nature-strip" (Council joke) trees. They deserve some brilliant pin-sharp shots but it's not that easy. The tree is 25 metres uphill from the only line-of-sight camera spot, and the nest is about 20 metres up the tree. The birds are the same colour as the tree-trunk. It's too far for my better lenses to reach. And the Sigma 135-400 is too soft at the long end.

So I'm having a whinge. A stronger tripod helps, and I can use 2000th easy when light is okay, so motion blur isn't a problem, it's just this lens fuzz-blur. Would be nice to rent a 4 or 500 prime for a day or two.

Applying brakes - finger-tip control.

DSC_7303b.jpg

I grabbed the camera early evening last night as we'd just got home and it was on the table. Didn't check settings but from memory, I was taking photos of mum's sheltie so knew it was on AV mode. These 2 were on the fence. My lens doesn't have IS in it, so I checked the shutter speed later and this was 1/125 at 200mm due to the early evening light, a big no no, but the shot came out ok enough for a grab shot. No time for tripod/monopods when wildlife just turn up - I hear you, PC!

3140011236_f431631763.jpg

3139246243_87097dae34.jpg

and this guy (a butcherbird) was in the tree singing a couple of weeks back. I threw him some dog food and he came down closer - onto the clothesline.

3140006700_43d0af9e53.jpg

edited to reduce photo size so as not too big

Edited by Ripley