Vets All Natural Complete Mix

westiemum

Hi Everyone,

In another thread I came across a reference to this raw mix which you soak overnight and then add fresh meat. Link here

Has anyone used it, particularly for a reasonable length of time? How did you find it to use? Did your dogs like it?

What do you think of the ingredients?

Complete mix contains a combination of mixed cereal grains (rolled oats, cracked barley, soybean meal, flax seed meal, and whole oats), dried vegetables and fruit, dried garlic, dried parsley, dried barley grass, calcium powder, yeast powder, kelp granules, lecithin granules and vitamin C powder.

Thanks for your thoughts/advice.

Cheers

Westiemum :laugh:

Edited by westiemum

I have used this before and it is a fantastic alternative to making the barf diet yourself if you don't have the time. My dog gobble it down even without meat

Bruce Syme did a talk on feeding BARF some time ago now and also mentioned this complete mix. The complete mix is made for people wanting to feed a natural diet but don't have the time to make it themselves. He said it contantains all the vegetable etc matter that your dog needs, just add the bones & meat but he also said the ideal is to make the Barf yourself.

Edited by helen

Hi Poodlefan,

Thanks for that - I didn't realise that oats barley and rice weren't OK - I thought it was just wheat, corn and junk like that.

Cheers

Westiemum :rofl:

There have been a couple of thread on this product recently.

Opinions are, not surprisingly, divided.

I don't use it as it's mostly indigestible grains.

Thanks for the thread Megan and your comments JulesP.

I have the most beautiful healthy senior westies in the whole world who do very well on their current barf/prey diet. I was simply looking at giving them a little more variety in their diet but don't have time to make my own barf and thought the VAN compelte Mix looked interesting - and Megan I see from the other thread you use it - how do you find it?

Cheers

Westiemum :thumbsup:

Wheat and corn are only a problem if your dog has an allergy to them.

Thanks for the thread Megan and your comments JulesP.

I have the most beautiful healthy senior westies in the whole world who do very well on their current barf/prey diet. I was simply looking at giving them a little more variety in their diet but don't have time to make my own barf and thought the VAN compelte Mix looked interesting - and Megan I see from the other thread you use it - how do you find it?

Cheers

Westiemum :thumbsup:

Wheat and corn are only a problem if your dog has an allergy to them.

I use a small amount occasionally - haven't noticed a difference either way.

• 1 month later...

I have used it. I do use it. And I have recommended it to certain people (for their dogs) when they've reported skin/coat issues and also certain behaviour issues.

I have found it very good and people have communicated to me the success they too have gained from feeding the diet.

The grain is only mainly there for roughage. It is supposed to come out the other end. You are supposed to see it.

Edited by Erny

I used it as an alternative to making up my own veggie mix to try and make it easier for myself. I had great results from using it but have stopped buying it now as it was too pricey and it's cheaper for me to make up my own mix.

The reason it has to be soaked for 12 - 24 hours is for the indigestible seeds to sprout to allow better absorption. If you didn't soak it then it would come out the other end as the grains and seeds used wouldn't have had the opportunity to sprout as yet.

Edited by ~Midniara~

:thumbsup: Yep I have been using it for about a month now.

I am quite happy with it and intend on weaning our upcoming litter onto it as well.

Forgot to add yes mum is currently on it :thumbsup:

It is easier FOR ME to use this than make my own barf.

Mum is in lovely condition with a super shine to her coat, and the poops are no different to before :thumbsup:

Rizzi also had digestive problems and diarrhoea, but once she was on Vets All Natural her problems cleared up almost immediately. She's been on it for well over a year and loves it. No more finicky eating either.

I have been using the Vets all Natural complete mix for over 2 years with every meal.

I do not use as much as they recommend on the package -

Instead I use about 1 cup dry (+1 cup water) per 1.5kilo of meat.

I make up my dogs food monthly (2 Dobermann) & I make up about a 25kg batch

and then freeze it in individual freezer bags weighed out into his & hers servings.

My mix usually consists of:

-All Meat is Human Grade-

10Kg Minced Chicken Frames

10Kg Chunky Beef Mince

5 Kg Chunky Cut Up - Lamb Liver & Other offal

Approx 16 cups of Vets all Natural Complete mix soaked with 16 cups water for 24hrs

I mix that all up and then freeze it - The Vets all Natural is already freeze dried so re-freezing it doesn't undo the goodness it adds to the diet.

The whole grains are in the complete mix and are not there to be digested - they are there to stimulate the bowels and intestine and even help to stimulate the anal glands when passed - which helps reduce colon problems and keep the colon walls clean.

To the defrosted mix I also add - grated carrot, zuchini, spinach, apple & other veges

+ a selection of supplements like

1 tsp Pet Pep Up

1 Tbsp Green Pet Supplement

1 Tbsp of Omega 3 Oil.

I have also changed a few friends over to the above diet and have seen remarkable changes in health & coat condition within weeks of beginning to feed this diet.

My dogs have never eaten any processed dog food wet or dry - I love preparing their food and knowing exactly what they are eating.