A Few Questions ....

BANJOTHEBOXER

Being dehdryated is not good :rolleyes: That's the problem with little puppies.

Leaving the dry food out all day COULD be why he is having loose motions- he has a continuous stream of food needing to be processed and it's going through quickly :laugh:

Overnight, his gut has a chance to fully digest the remaining food- and to remove moisture from it for his body to use.

This is a good cyhance to teach him (and you) good eating habits!

he should be on at least 3/4 meals a day.. just little ones... and high nutrient/low fibre ones at that.

When he has recovered, and is back on normal food... set his mealtimes, and it is only then he gets his food! :p

Hoping his tummy settles with a good rest and some nice easily digested food :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Banjotheboxer

Congratulations on your new addition :rolleyes:

Did the vet check a stool sample when the pup was there?

Worms should show up if he has them. He could also check for coccidiosis which I believe can cause symptoms like you have described and can be treated.

Good Luck

OK so i just went out and bought a small bag of Royal Canine to test, i am going to givve him a tiny handle full for dinner tonight and thats it, he hasnt had any bonnie all day and hasnt had a loose poo since this morning.

The royal canine say Prebiotics & Psyllium , actiflora.

Hope this works.

I really feel that he isnt sick , as i am typing he is having play time running around with his toys.

UPDATE: He just had a small small handful of rice and a smaller handful of Royal Canine. He hasnt had any Bonnie all day. As soon as he was finished eating he pood. He does that EVERYNIGHT. Always as soon as his done he wants to poo. Anyway it was a solid poo. The most solid ive seen him do.

Now i have no idea what it is, if its because he didnt have any bonnie, because he didnt graze all day, or because he had the royal canine :rolleyes:

Although i dont think he digests that quick and can poo out what he had just eaten :laugh:

Anyway im going to keep him on the Royal Canine, Only give him breakfast and dinner. No more grazing.

And see how he goes. Thank you soooo much for your advise i had no idea about any of it :)

Hubby is a bit cranky that we paid $700 for Banjo a week ago and $40 on a wasted bag of Bonnie, $150 on a vet bill today and another $40 on a small bag of royal canine today. Which i am going to need to get him a big bag in a week or 2 which i $100. :p So, so far this gorgeous well worth it pup has cost us over $900 in a week. :)

WHO CARES! I love him and i know hubby does too :p

UPDATE: He just had a small small handful of rice and a smaller handful of Royal Canine. He hasnt had any Bonnie all day. As soon as he was finished eating he pood. He does that EVERYNIGHT. Always as soon as his done he wants to poo. Anyway it was a solid poo. The most solid ive seen him do.

Now i have no idea what it is, if its because he didnt have any bonnie, because he didnt graze all day, or because he had the royal canine :rolleyes:

Although i dont think he digests that quick and can poo out what he had just eaten :laugh:

Anyway im going to keep him on the Royal Canine, Only give him breakfast and dinner. No more grazing.

And see how he goes. Thank you soooo much for your advise i had no idea about any of it :)

Hubby is a bit cranky that we paid $700 for Banjo a week ago and $40 on a wasted bag of Bonnie, $150 on a vet bill today and another $40 on a small bag of royal canine today. Which i am going to need to get him a big bag in a week or 2 which i $100. :p So, so far this gorgeous well worth it pup has cost us over $900 in a week. :)

WHO CARES! I love him and i know hubby does too :p

I'd say its a combination of those three things :love: Not grazing all day is far better, and I personally am a Royal Canin fanatic ! We found Halle "wastes" alot less when she is eating Royal Canin ie poops less, and her coat is so shiny

What he has just pooped out will be what he ate this morning.

Since he is still so small, perhaps consider still feeding 3 smaller meals a day? We dropped to 2 feeds a day at about 14 weeks. Once you have a routine set up for mealtimes, you should be able to predict poop times pretty well too- within 5-10 mins of each meal.. particularly when you drop to two feeds!

Oh, and stop counting the dollars you're spending NOW!! :D

Could it be that he is eating too much? Pretty common cause of the runs in pups is too much food. This could explain why he holds overnight (no longer "grazing") then does a pretty good poo in the morning. It could alos explain why he had a solid poo after fasting, then a small amount of rice and dry food???

I hope the vet explained how much this pup can eat for each meal. Sometimes the "instructions" on the bags of dog food can be very generous and if he has been able to "graze", perhaps he was just getting too much??

Good Luck with him, I hope his tummy trouble settles down. :rolleyes:

So we have to keep him off the food for a day, water only with LECTADE in it. To rehydrate him. Watch how he goes. Then slowly give him the food, little bit at a time.

So- why did the pup have yet another different food for tea? I don't understand.... Why would you spend money at the vets and not follow instructions?

So- why did the pup have yet another different food for tea? I don't understand.... Why would you spend money at the vets and not follow instructions?

I didnt stop him from having dinner because he hadnt eaten anything since last night, she said to fast him to kill the bug.

He doesnt and didnt have a bug, i took the advice of other here stating it could be the Bonnie as it has given their dogs runny poo and alot of them.

I could tell he wasnt sick, he was and is active and happy.

If he had a bug he would have the runs all the time, not solid then runny and be able to hold it all night.

Asd far as I can remember- small pups need 3/4 meals a day...Their little tummies can only hold a certain quantity... but they need to refill often.

Ok, so now i know i will get my husband to give him lunch, and if he seems hungry when i get home maybe more then as dinner isnt till after 6pm, once my kids are in bed so i can watch him with out distraction to get him to go toilet outside. :rolleyes:

UPDATE:

Banjo is loving the Royal Canine, he eats and looks for more. I am not giving in just yet, he had a little more than last night but im taking it slow so he gets used to it.

He has breakfast a small handful of Royal Canine, then another small handful for lunch and an another plus a bit of rice for dinner, although he is picking around the rice.

Today has been 1 soft but not runny poo and 1 solid normal poo :rofl:

Much better then the 5-6 sloppy ones he was doing before.

And i have ONE more question: We put advocate on him on Monday and i still find a flea or 2 on him, they are tiny tiny though. Is that normal or should he have none at all?

Also is he ok to bath with the advocate on? When i had him on the excelpet it said water can stop it from working :eek:

The toilet training is going great, he still has an accident if im pre occupied with the kids, but not very often. Once the girls are in bed he has his dinner and i leave our french doors open so he can help himself. He is doing well with that so far.

Thank you all so much for all your advice, i am very thankful. :laugh: :D :D

Hubby is a bit cranky that we paid $700 for Banjo a week ago and $40 on a wasted bag of Bonnie, $150 on a vet bill today and another $40 on a small bag of royal canine today. Which i am going to need to get him a big bag in a week or 2 which i $100. laugh.gif So, so far this gorgeous well worth it pup has cost us over $900 in a week.

welcome to the world of dogs .. I have a 15 month old Rottweiler, $4000 and counting on vet bills (dont ask about the food!)

RC is excellent food and stick to it. At this age 3 meals a day would be better but if you cant you cant.

give the pound a present and donate the Bonnie bag for the christmas homeless doggies :eek:

That big bag of RC will last you ages, I used to go through a 15kg bag a fortnight :rofl:

Edited by Nekhbet

Really?? I thought Bonnie was one of the best ones :rofl: What foods are the best?

I couldnt use Bonnie or Supercoat with mine both dogs lots of poop and very soft since Ive been on dogz Ive learnt this is coz they both contain lots of cereal fillers and not much meat and some dogs carnt take cereals.Eagle Pack Holistic and Royal Canin suit mine.I tried Nutrience once and its ok better than Bonnie or Supercoat anyway.I didnt think much of Advance

I tried bonnie, ran through the dogs something shocking, they never seemed full on it, only got one bag, then got rid of it! I feed Nutrience now and love it. I did have some trouble with Kaos and her weight, but I have her on the active nutrience and love it - cats are going over to it as soon as i have finished all the dry i have at home for them1

At this age 3 meals a day would be better but if you cant you cant.

He is having 3 meals a day, im just making them small at the moment so his belly gets used to it, i dont want him scoffing it all and pooing water again :D

give the pound a present and donate the Bonnie bag for the christmas homeless doggies

Good idea, i didnt know what to do with it. Hopefully it wont upset their bellies though

Also make sure the last meal isnt to late giving your pup has issues at the moment.

His dinner is at 6pm, we dont go to bed until after 1130pm as hubby isnt home from work till then. So he is up with me , not that he is actually awake much though. :eek:

He tries to lure me to bed early by sitting at my bedroom door looking at me :rofl:

He sleeps in our bed, it works for us because he whinges to get down if he needs to go toilet which wakes me up so we havent had accidents yet. Although he has slept through the last 3 nights :D

He is meant to sleep on the foot of the bed but somehow wiggles himself up until he is next to me or between hubby and me. :eek: OH WELL. :laugh:

We didnt buy him from a breeder, although we tried but none around our area were not even trying to have litters till next yr sometime.

This is the problem with people not being patient enough to wait for a well bred puppy from a registered breeder - must have now!

The other option would have been buying from an interstate registered breeder rather than supporting a back yard breeder...

Edited by AZIAH