Food Aggression In Six Month Old Pup

traciemc

I have a six month old french bulldog pup who over the last month has become VERY food aggressive with my other dog, a seven year old desexed female rottie. If I have anything even remotely resembling food in my hand he will launch himself at her snarling, snapping and biting her face. She will growl at him when he does this but is very patient with him and will hold him with her foot to stop him attacking her. If I give them a bone or biscuit I have to separate them, I put him in a shadecloth enclosed area and the rottie is in the main backyard, the pup will spend the whole time growling and snarling at her even though she's nowhere near him until I take the food off him.

I and other people can take food out of his mouth, take bones off him and take his dinner bowl with out any problems, its just with the rottie he's really aggressive.

I'm worried her patience will give out and she will really hurt him, she outweighs him by at least 4o kilos..also I don't want him to hurt her. I always break up the fights due to injury concerns.

I've had two dogs together at other times but have never had a dog who so aggressive with food.

When there's no food around they get on really well and play together all day.

I'm getting him desexed soon so hopefully that will help.

any suggestions to address this will be gratefully received!

thanks Tracie

IMG_2368_2_1-1.jpg

The first thing I did when I looked at that photo was GIGGLE!! LOL can't imagine your puppy doing much harm to your big rotty!

Seriously though, when Halle spent alot of time with another older dog, i mean 6 weeks full time, we were concerned about her because, frankly, she was a pain in the a$$. She would provoke the older dog all the time, but when Remi( 4yo Kelpie) sometimes had had enough, she would let her know. We picked halle up after the 6 weeks and she had a small cut on her lip-we assumed a small war wound.. I'll tell you this though, she hasn't since been ANYWHERE near as annoying to Remi as she used to be... We weren't bothered-it was a very minor injury, and it was the only way she was going to learn.

Your rotty sounds pretty patient, and if push came to shove, pardon the pun, it doesn't sound like she would really do your pup any harm, just give him a good fright and a warning, which might do pup the world of good.

So does he get snappy whenever there is food around? Or is it only if she has it? Or if he has it? I'm just trying to figure out why he might be doing this... is it only when they both have food? What would happen if you only gave your rotty the food and your pup none.. he wouldn't have anything to be protective over then.

For now, as long as he's not behaving like that with you, be thankful :rofl:

I sort of agree and sort of dont if it were me i would feed Huey in a crate until you can talk to a good dog trainer, he's only young and something you arnt aware of could be triggering his food aggression.

Chance are the above two posters are right and bean probably wouldnt do anything other than snap back ect but do you really want to take the chance that this is all she will do? Dogs are dogs and If heuy is being nasty over his food and she snapped back he might not back down and could push her more than he should (if that makes sense)!!!

I would not interfere with you Rotty's discipline of the puppy..

one well aimed canine and the little frenchy could have some irreversible damage.

I dont let dogs sort it out for themselves. If your frenchie looks at the rottie wrong I would grab two saucepan lids and bang them LOUDLY at him and then shout 'NO LEAVE'. Supervise snack times and let him learn that if he stuffs up food is gone. He's taking advantage of the rotties nature but the size difference worries me if he pushes the rottie too far.

The trick is to get it before he gets to the stage of exploding a the rott. He leaves his food and starts trotting over BANG BANG BANG BANG in his face NO then take his food away and put him outside. Want to be a little macho man? Fine, starve. The loud noise will prevent his anxiety coming out as aggression, you will scare him and break his train of thought. Then simply march him away from her eating quietly and ignore him.

I would not interfere with you Rotty's discipline of the puppy..

one well aimed canine and the little frenchy could have some irreversible damage.

I dont let dogs sort it out for themselves. If your frenchie looks at the rottie wrong I would grab two saucepan lids and bang them LOUDLY at him and then shout 'NO LEAVE'. Supervise snack times and let him learn that if he stuffs up food is gone. He's taking advantage of the rotties nature but the size difference worries me if he pushes the rottie too far.

The trick is to get it before he gets to the stage of exploding a the rott. He leaves his food and starts trotting over BANG BANG BANG BANG in his face NO then take his food away and put him outside. Want to be a little macho man? Fine, starve. The loud noise will prevent his anxiety coming out as aggression, you will scare him and break his train of thought. Then simply march him away from her eating quietly and ignore him.

:) fantastic advise

I'm such a bitch aren't I :)

it takes very little to cement a dogs brain into continuing. He's getting what he wants ultimately so he's upping the ante every time until he takes it a step too far. Then you rotty can develop paranoia if new dogs come in that they will pinch her food too.

When I got my rotty the rescuer had allowed him to take food. He walked over to an adult rotty, snatched the pigs ear out of his mouth, growled and walked off. Oh was I mean when i grabbed him by the scruff, snatched the ear back and gave it to the original rottweiler then he had nothing. I dont like posessive or food aggressive dogs and really there is no reason to have one continue throughout its life.

:):)

Here I use a water spray bottle and a loud 'GRRRR'.

Frenchies have a tendency to be very food, toy, couch etc posessive so if you don't show them who is boss and that behaviour like that is unnacceptable early on you will have a problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I tried the saucepan lids last night Nekhbet, and it worked a treat! The look of shock on his face was classic. He's a fairly sharp little fella so I hope it won't take too long for him to work out that its just not on, however being a bulldog he is very stubborn!

The rottie is such a patient sweetie, I've had rotties for 20 years and what great temperaments these dogs have - maybe I shoulda stuck to what I know best!