Corned Silverside

cassie

Just a quick one - is corned silverside ok to feed to the dogs? It comes in a big 1kg-ish lump and I usually see them at Coles/Woolies etc going out cheap, so was wondering if this is ok for them? I don't exactly know what "corned" means :( nor what animal "silverside" is from! :o:shrug::confused:

Corned means it has been 'cured' in brine, so will be salty. If I buy it for me I soak it for 24/48 hours in a number of changes of clean water to remove most of the salt.

Thanks for the tip Loraine! I literally just put mine on the stove for dinner!! Washed it under cold water to get salt off but will soak it next time.

Silverside wouldnt be the same without the salt! I love the salt! But too salty for the dogs for eat reguarly, I sometimes give mine little pieces though if I cook it for myself

Also for humans, do it in the dehydrator, silverside jerky, is delicious!

Corned means it has been 'cured' in brine, so will be salty. If I buy it for me I soak it for 24/48 hours in a number of changes of clean water to remove most of the salt.

When we have it, we do the same. I would say definately too salty as a meal for dogs.

Just a quick one - is corned silverside ok to feed to the dogs? It comes in a big 1kg-ish lump and I usually see them at Coles/Woolies etc going out cheap, so was wondering if this is ok for them? I don't exactly know what "corned" means :o nor what animal "silverside" is from! :mad:shrug::confused:

A few years ago a friend feed her dog a hunk of uncooked silverside after her freezer was accidentally turned off. Bear her German Shepherd loved it and ate the lot, for the rest of the day he was running around in a panic drinking water! I,d say its ok if its cooked and in small portions. :(

Definately don't waste it on the dogs ... cook in a big pot with some apple cider vinager, cloves, onions, carrots and some brown sugar. Cook until lovely and tender and then serve up with creamy cheese sauce, cabbage and mashed potato :rofl:

Just a quick one - is corned silverside ok to feed to the dogs? It comes in a big 1kg-ish lump and I usually see them at Coles/Woolies etc going out cheap, so was wondering if this is ok for them? I don't exactly know what "corned" means :eek: nor what animal "silverside" is from! :eek::rofl::rofl:

It's beef - same part as topside I think - the silverside refers to the fact that after corning, the outside looks kinda silver at certain angles - so I believe anyway.

Definately don't waste it on the dogs ... cook in a big pot with some apple cider vinager, cloves, onions, carrots and some brown sugar. Cook until lovely and tender and then serve up with creamy cheese sauce, cabbage and mashed potato :rofl:

Ever tried it in the slow cooker? It is just as good, but you don't have to be home to cook it - maybe even more tender.

Definately don't waste it on the dogs ... cook in a big pot with some apple cider vinager, cloves, onions, carrots and some brown sugar. Cook until lovely and tender and then serve up with creamy cheese sauce, cabbage and mashed potato :p

Yummo!! :p

I have it with cabbage too. I always boil it with the silverside, gives it a lovely flavour. :)

I usually feed the dogs small amounts of cooked left overs , but agree with everyone that it is way too salty to feed raw.

Slightly off topic - a friend once invited me over for corned silverside and I was expecting exactly what you mentioned Tilly - however....got there and she opened a CAN of the stuff and plopped that on my plate - it looked like Pal or something....was very difficult to be polite and eat it.

As to what aminal - its beef isnt it - or is corned beef something different? I use corned beef/corned silverside to refer to the same thing.