Eagle Pack

charli73

I have recntly changed my 18 month old GSD to Eagle pack Holistic from RC and have found she has dropped in weght..

I know its been hotter and she isnt eating as much but Im just wondering if anyone else has had issues keeping weight on with EP as she is looking really thin....

Thanks in advance

I have recntly changed my 18 month old GSD to Eagle pack Holistic from RC and have found she has dropped in weght..

I know its been hotter and she isnt eating as much but Im just wondering if anyone else has had issues keeping weight on with EP as she is looking really thin....

Thanks in advance

why don't you feed her more if she is loosing weight?

different foods get absorbed differently so you need to figure out for yourself how much you need to feed her so that she keeps perfect weight :(

Interesting - I'm wondering why you changed from RC to EP. Royal Canin is superior.

It is only superior if it suits your needs, and your dogs do well on it, makes no difference how it reads.

Mine looked like crap on it.

For me it was inferior.

Thanks in advance

Yes, I had exactly the same problem with my GSPs. Increasing their food intake didn't help. I ended up adding a chicken carcass daily and this put a bit more weight on them. My GSPs are very very fit and active.

Two weeks ago I switched to raw and they are keeping weight on easily. I feed less active dog 2.5% of body weight per day and active one 3%. Recommended is 2%.

I don't want my dogs to get fat, just stay lean and healthy. They are not getting fat on raw but it is making their ribs disappear to a much healthier level. And it costs half the money so that a bonus. :hug:

eta - they have also switched from four poos a day to one small one :hug:

Edited by BellasPerson

Interesting - I'm wondering why you changed from RC to EP. Royal Canin is superior.

It is only superior if it suits your needs, and your dogs do well on it, makes no difference how it reads.

Mine looked like crap on it.

For me it was inferior.

Totally agree,superior doesnt equate to that dogs needs.

I used RC & my dog ended up with countless UTI whilst on it.Taken off no issues at all.

EP hol i use on my young dog giant puppy & he gets 2 cups a day plus necks,small amount of raw ,tuckertime & that can make him fat as a house & he is very active.

It really is a case of what suits one is awful for another,2 cups for one means 3 cups for another.

What was your reason for swapping??

Edited by settrlvr

I had problems with EP holistic also. My bitch lost condition and just wasn't doing well on it. Very large poop compared to when she was on the Advance I had been feeding previously.

I'm now feeding Royal Canin and I find it is fabulous. Also very palatable. She recently had a litter so was on the RC Junior and she loved it. The pups were not completely weaned until around 6 weeks and her condition was so good you couldn't tell she had had a litter.

Although her coat looked great on RC she still itched a little but less than she was itching on Proplan... her coat is looking a little oily on EP to be honest...

She already has 2 meals a day with chicken mixed in and Im struggling to get her to eat one meal ATM with the weather so upping the amount wont work as she hardly eats what I give her now....

Edited by charli73

Although her coat looked great on RC she still itched a little but less than she was itching on Proplan... her coat is looking a little oily on EP to be honest...

The young dog im feeding EP on coat isnt as good as it could( i actually find it dries the coat) be but at present im purely feeding this due to the big growth spurts he was having & this has worked best for that area.Once fully grown he will be off it asap .

I use pro plan by choice & my other dogs thrive on it but i needed a formula that was better suited for this boys growing stages

I had my pup on EP Holistic for specific problematic developmental reasons. It did good as far as sorting that out and his coat improved dramatically. However, it too became somewhat 'oily' so I've now switched to a whole raw meal diet. His coat is rich in colour and gleams, but the oiliness has disappeared.

I still believe EP is one of the better quality commercial dry foods available but you do need to adjust according to what the dog's condition is telling you, IMO.

Edited by Erny

Hi

We have for many years Fed Eagle Pac Power once when we could not get the power we had to try another Eagle Pac variety Mason lost weight on it so we only feed the Power to the older ones and the young ones get the Eagle Pac Giant Breed Formulae.

Mason gets a Chicken frame in the morning and one and half cups and around the same of fresh chicken mince and supplements and is always around the 50 kg mark (not fat just right) in winter we feed him additional cup in the morning.

The girls get the same in lesser amounts !

Kind Regards

Malisa

Mason Jan 2009 nearly 4 years old

post-4863-1232015832_thumb.jpg

too much weight loss and I had to feed insane amounts. EP power - the Malinois was running in circles hyper

I love EP for some dogs, the giant breed puppy is the only one I would feed a really heavy breed but for everything else I prefer RC, just wish I could afford it again :thumbsup:

Charli - I was feeding RC but switched to EP as Duke was putting ON too much weight.

For me, the EP Holistic sorted that out. He gets frames or RMB in the morning and one cup of EP in the evening plus either sardines, egg, yoghurt. Hi weight has been maintained very steadily at 29 kilos which is great for him.

His coat looks great although I noticed the other day it was a little oily.

I agree what works for some doesn't work for others.

i have read some not so good things about Eukanuba but my Mum feeds her GSD this and she wll and truly thrives on it...beautiful coat, teeth etc and for some reason it helps with her above normal energy levels (we think she has ADD lol!). It was recommended to my Mum for this reason.

I have had my bitch on EPH (giant breed puppy) since she was 4 months old, she is now 15 months old today and her coat is shiney and lovely and soft. She is on EPH because she got dandruff from IAMS. Her stools are small and she is a healthy weight (38kg). Mind you she is also fed raw beef and heart or ox cheek as well (sometimes, like tonight chicken frames), with a little yoghurt and also sardines. She gets about 4 cups of EPH per night and 1 kg of meat. I will ONLY use the holistic brand, ahve heard select isn't as good.

Every dog is different, what works for some dogs does not work for others.

I have heard many rottweiler owners have switched from EPH to Artemis (aust company) and they are all pleased with it. Artemis are our the RCV's new sponsors so I am sure many of us will be changing for that reason. At this stage I am still happy with EPH and probably will not change unless I win a bag *LOL*

ETA: In the pic below you can see how glossy her coat is and that she is not skinny or fat...

IMG_0249.jpg

Edited by TrinaJ

Charli - I was feeding RC but switched to EP as Duke was putting ON too much weight.

For me, the EP Holistic sorted that out. He gets frames or RMB in the morning and one cup of EP in the evening plus either sardines, egg, yoghurt. Hi weight has been maintained very steadily at 29 kilos which is great for him.

His coat looks great although I noticed the other day it was a little oily.

I agree what works for some doesn't work for others.

i have read some not so good things about Eukanuba but my Mum feeds her GSD this and she wll and truly thrives on it...beautiful coat, teeth etc and for some reason it helps with her above normal energy levels (we think she has ADD lol!). It was recommended to my Mum for this reason.

GSD mum what is RMB? I agree with the Eukanuba causing ADD thats what she had as a puppy and we took her off it as she was bouncing off the walls..

We bought Zoe raw beef mince today and she loved it! Just not sure how much/often Raw mince we should give her and what to mix with it if anything... What do other people do?

I have had my bitch on EPH (giant breed puppy) since she was 4 months old, she is now 15 months old today and her coat is shiney and lovely and soft. She is on EPH because she got dandruff from IAMS. Her stools are small and she is a healthy weight (38kg). Mind you she is also fed raw beef and heart or ox cheek as well (sometimes, like tonight chicken frames), with a little yoghurt and also sardines. She gets about 4 cups of EPH per night and 1 kg of meat. I will ONLY use the holistic brand, ahve heard select isn't as good.

Every dog is different, what works for some dogs does not work for others.

I have heard many rottweiler owners have switched from EPH to Artemis (aust company) and they are all pleased with it. Artemis are our the RCV's new sponsors so I am sure many of us will be changing for that reason. At this stage I am still happy with EPH and probably will not change unless I win a bag *LOL*

ETA: In the pic below you can see how glossy her coat is and that she is not skinny or fat...

IMG_0249.jpg

Trina what a beautiful looking girl she is and her coat looks great..Do you feed the kibble and 1kg meat each meal once daily?