Tougher-laws-for-"dangerous-breeds"

NorthernStarPits

Tougher laws for dangerous dogs

14th January 2009, 6:00 WST

WAs dangerous-dog laws will be toughened after it emerged that restricted breeds like American pit bulls are being sold openly because the three-year-old legislation does not include a ban on breeding or selling the targeted species.

The crackdown on dangerous dogs by the former Labor government required owners of certain breeds to sterilise pups at six months so the breed would eventually cease.

But the law has been undermined by the absence of a ban on imports from other States and difficulties in proving genetically that a dog is of a particular breed. These loopholes and no bans on selling or breeding the animals have allowed the trade in restricted dogs to continue openly.

A simple internet search by The West Australian this week revealed sellers and breeders advertising pit bull pups for between $400 and $1800. The current legislation has technical gaps in it, Local Government Minister John Castrilli said. It does not actually say that you cant breed (restricted) dogs.

The current laws force owners to fit different collars, get a permit if they own more than two restricted breeds and keep the animals within a secure area. Mr Castrilli wants to ban breeding and selling or giving away the restricted breeds. It will be some time this year, but we are going to make it as tight as possible, he said.

Former local government minister Michelle Roberts announced in March 2006 that the Argentinian fighting dog, the filo brasileiro, the tosa inu, the American pit bull and the presa canario would be restricted as part of Labors bid to protect families and children from harm. The pit bull is Australias most common restricted breed.

She claimed the new laws would apply to mixed breeds which visibly contain the traits of these restricted breeds. But WA Rangers Association president Samantha Tarling said identification had emerged as a fundamental problem, with WAs chief veterinarian refusing to testify to the DNA of a dog.

I once challenged some owners that their dog was a pit bull, she said. They showed me the parents with the paperwork. It was a cross between a boxer and a labrador. I could have sworn it was a pit bull.

She said some pit bulls looked like bull mastiffs, a breed that is not restricted. Chief veterinary officer Peter Buckman referred all questions to the Department of Local Government.

Endangered Dog Breeds Association spokesman Anthony Melman blasted the proposed amendments.

The number of children killed by dogs I can count on one hand, he said. How many children have been killed by their own family members?

The West

edit; to change title to "breeds'.

Edited by NorthernStarPits

"I once challenged some owners that their dog was a pit bull," she said. "They showed me the parents with the paperwork. It was a cross between a boxer and a labrador. I could have sworn it was a pit bull."

No shit sherlock :rolleyes:

Former local government minister Michelle Roberts announced in March 2006 that the Argentinian fighting dog, the filo brasileiro, the tosa inu, the American pit bull and the presa canario would be restricted as part of Labor's bid to "protect families and children from harm". The pit bull is Australia's most common restricted breed.

FFS when are they ever going to get It right :thumbsup::laugh:

I'm gathering this Is now finale? and no way to stop It going through? :cool:

Former local government minister Michelle Roberts announced in March 2006 that the Argentinian fighting dog, the filo brasileiro, the tosa inu, the American pit bull and the presa canario would be restricted as part of Labor’s bid to “protect families and children from harm”. The pit bull is Australia’s most common restricted breed.

Ah, maybe because we don't even have those other breeds in the country :rolleyes:

*sigh*

"I once challenged some owners that their dog was a pit bull," she said. "They showed me the parents with the paperwork. It was a cross between a boxer and a labrador. I could have sworn it was a pit bull."

No shit sherlock :3monkeys:

At least she is admitting she was wrong & no longer agrees with visual identification.

No shit sherlock :rofl:

At least she is admitting she was wrong & no longer agrees with visual identification.

I dont think she was saying she no longer agress with it from my interpretation, she was just saying she found it was hard to ID them.

Gee the position paper for ammendments to the dog act in WA only came out 7 years ago and they still havent ammended it and the Liberals have actually discovered that.Maybe they do know their a**hole from their elbow but I doubt it.Dont bother having your say in the OPs article as the West Australian (Liberal Goverment sympathisers) wont print it anyway they never do as their not about a level argument just propaganda fo the masses.Anyway soon the "Colin Barnett thought police" will ban everything including free spech and having an opinion and it will be a mandatory jail sentence.I thought WA was the wildflower state not the police state guess I was wrong and I am not just talking about the dog issue.Those who live here will know what I am talking about.Everyday you open the newspaper the silly twat passes another law to take away the citizens rights.Shame shame shame WA I hope those that voted for him are happy.I am a Labor man but didnt like Carpenter but just couldnt bring myslef to vote for Barnett and I know why.

The 'authorities' always start with wanting to 'protect families & children from harm'. And then set off banning dog breeds.

When all the evidence points in other directions re dog safety.

Edited by mita

She claimed the new laws would apply to mixed breeds which “visibly contain the traits of these restricted breeds”.

What?

Like four legs and a tail?

I have always wondered that myself.Pray tell us how with their wealth of knowledge.LMAO

On a side note I am glad the rest of the law is coming in to stop these backyard puppy peddling morons contributing to the problem.Before Christmas My mate rang up an ad in the paper for some pups in Perth.Lady answered the phone and he asked her for some info on the parents.She said he would have to talk to the boyfriend.He could hear talking in the background BF wont come to the phone.She comes back and says the sire is such and such line dont know about the dam she doesnt have papers.He aks her what dogs does sire come from if he is such and such line because there are many dogs from that line.She says dont know sire has papers but we dont have them but breeder says we can get them( read between the lines because we were too f***** tight to pay for them).My mate says" So let me get this straight.You have 2 dogs a male and a female you dont have papers on them you dont even know what there bloodline really is but you thought you d let them mate because you wanted some fast cash and they had red noses.You are askng $1500 for unpapered dogs whose bloodline you dont even know?Are you for f**** real lady? He said the woman started getting irate and told him she had sold them all because people could see the quality.He said no you sold them to know nothings that will create a problem you stupid f***** bitch.People like you are the problem.

I hope people like this get their dogs taken first and destroyed.Sad as it is they dont deserve to own them and they are the problem.