Advantix

Earlier in the summer we went up the east coast and into ticks-ville... so I put the advantix on my kids to help with the tick issue :rolleyes:

I have however noticed that where I put the spot on treatment:

*Their hair became knotted and had to be pulled/ cut/ brushed out..... depending on severity

*Near the area of the spot on treatment - they dogs were very sensitive and would itch if I rubbed their backs around that area

*Kinta has a few scabby spots on her back where the treatment was applied

*I noticed a teeny lump on his back near where I applied the treatment - only noticed it once I gave them a dose and it hasn't gone away yet... but not too woried about that :rofl:

Oh and my dogs have been tested for ivermectin and both are clear :thumbsup:

Anyone else have these problems or anything similar to it?

I'd like to use a spot on treatment when required (dogs are on interceptor spectrum) - and have one tube left of advantix - should I use it or not....

what other recommendations do people have for the fleas instead of this?

Hmmm....you can make an adverse reaction report if you wish, you can do that through your Vet Clinic.

I have used it on my Kelpie, Stafford and we put it on the boss's Labradors at work no probs so far.

My cats react to flea/intestinal spot-ons and tend to come up with a bald spot where it was first applied that disappears.

I've actually changed mine to Sentinel and use capstar *if* I think I've had a breakout.

I think you would be surprised with 2 dogs who have been on regular treatment, how long they can go without it. Theoretically if there is no life-cycle in your home or yard it shouldn't be an issue. The dermatologists tell us hitchhiker fleas are fairly rare- they would have to interact very closely with a hugely infested dog to have trouble.

Mel.

Thanks snt - that's what I think - which is why I want to switch them to interceptor as opposed to sentinel as I don't feel they need the treatment for the fleas :)

That way I can treat them only when required rather than every few months regardless :)

What would you recommend to use?

We didn't have any bald patches, but we definitely had the itchies - I am just really concerned about the lumps/ scabby spots :)

I use advantix but generally only for 4 months of the year & never had issues BUT like any product there is a risk(mine are coated dogs also).

I use it summer purely for the mosquiot/fly part .We have no fleas or ticks but its worls a treat for the other 2 things & i leave the boys out till very late or at night shows

Edited by settrlvr

That's just impatient application. If you put it on slowly and not overload the one spot you shouldn't even notice it on. The area often knots there as dirt/grime/debris are attracted to the oilyness of that spot.

If you believe your dogs have had a reaction albeit small, I would definitely not use it again. Reactions usually get worse.

Clyde - that's what I initially thought too - but noticed these other reactions so thought it might be something more serious.

I was quite careful with the application - trying not to splatter into one spot and not letting it dribble on the coat.... don't think I was too successful :)

I find the shorter the coat the easier it is to get dribble. The Stafford pretty much always gets a wet patch which attracts dirt but the Rotti you couldn't tell. I also make the dogs stand with me for a while. If they go and lie down it often trickles. The dogs know the drill, I stand over them for some time ensuring they stand still as I worry it might dribble and a cat come along.

Re the reaction, I would call Bayer. They are super helpful and more often than not have you speak to their own vet. They may even give you a refund.

I should clarify- IMO Lufenuron is a more ?benign? ingredient than constantly applying a topical every month so that's why I use it.

You could use it like settrlvr does- which is what I have always done albeit never really thought about it. :)

I do that with the Labs too- put it on the skin at the shoulders and near the tail and then give them a pigs ear so they lay still for a while.

For flybites of the ears I don't think it can be beaten- but if that's all you need it for then you could potentially put a drop on each ear and see how that works..

Mel.

SnT - is the Lufenefron what is in Sentinel?

hmm... maybe I should just stick to my original remedy - nothing wrong with it - just thought putting less chemicals the better (cheaper too!) LOL!

Thanks Settrlvr. When I put it on, I did it in about 4 spots.... didn't seem to help much as each spot had the icky stuff :)

Will ring Bayer tomorrow

Just spoke to Bayer - they said it was an allergic reaction on Kinta, but the lump may be irrelevant (not ruling it out yet as it's very similar to a lump my friends dog has when he swelts up with allergies)....

Most helpful over the phone - they suggested I don't use it again.....so now the question is what is just as effective and waterproof should I hit tick - country again :hitself:

If the Advantix isn't the way to go (I LOVE Advantix!) then IMHO, go with the Killtix collar. They are better than the Preventic collar simply because they can get wet - if your dog swims, it's a pain to be removing and replacing collars when you can just put on a Killtix collar :)

And if you only need to treat for ticks once in a while, a collar would be a less expensive option. :)

If the Advantix isn't the way to go (I LOVE Advantix!) then IMHO, go with the Killtix collar. They are better than the Preventic collar simply because they can get wet - if your dog swims, it's a pain to be removing and replacing collars when you can just put on a Killtix collar :eek:

And if you only need to treat for ticks once in a while, a collar would be a less expensive option. :rolleyes:

When speaking to Bayer they recommended Killtix - but when I mentioned that my dogs would be swimming they said that it would no longer work.....

The lady said it wastn' water proof... :rofl:

Guess I'll go with Proban

If the Advantix isn't the way to go (I LOVE Advantix!) then IMHO, go with the Killtix collar. They are better than the Preventic collar simply because they can get wet - if your dog swims, it's a pain to be removing and replacing collars when you can just put on a Killtix collar :laugh:

And if you only need to treat for ticks once in a while, a collar would be a less expensive option. :laugh:

When speaking to Bayer they recommended Killtix - but when I mentioned that my dogs would be swimming they said that it would no longer work.....

The lady said it wastn' water proof... :laugh:

Guess I'll go with Proban

I can clarify that for you if you like, I'll check in the animal MIMS tomorrow.

The Maningrida dogs do a fair bit of swimming but not sure if that renders the collar unusable. :)

Mel.