Intact Males

When talking to a friend today they mentioned their intact male almost 2 yrs is starting to get a bit jealous when other males interact with her (usually guard type barking with hackles up). I told her that this is behaviour they really need to watch especially as they have young grandkids. She said they'll fix it by putting him over a bitch, that usually settles them down.

I've never heard of this before - has anyone else heard it before or done it? I'm not convinced it's a solution myself, so was wondering what others thought?

Let me think.. exposing an entire male dog to the delights of mating ONCE will settle him down?

I don't think so. He'll know what he's missing from that day forward.

She needs to TRAIN the dog, not get it to have sex. :thumbsup:

He's guarding her just like he'd guard a bone. Sex won't change that.

Edited by poodlefan

These people and family have had dogs of this breed and others for so many years etc that it's very difficult to try and give advice to. He has been to obedience but is only just starting to "listen".

Edited by Jigsaw

Nooo.

Wouldn't it be easier to desex and train him?

Would desexing reduce a learnt behaviour?

I'm making an educated guess that what he does has succeeded & is a learnt behaviour.

From my readings, desexing later on in life also rarely corrects behaviours because they have become learnt and reinforced?

Given the dog is already showing signs of being being "all male" the stud work will make it worse.

Not all males change after stud work BUT we inform qanyone heading down that path to be prepared to deal with a stud dog .

Certainly in some breeds once used at stud it can really change everything .

Thanks for your answers everyone. I really didn't think this idea would fix this problem. Previous suggestions I have made to help other behaviours (such as jumping on people - dog is GSD and a big boy) have been met with, we tried that it didn't work, I know they didn't try them. They will not desex the dog, they don't desex their males and they want to breed him at some stage.

Out of interest and learning would you go about reducing this type of human guarding in a similar manner to how you would reduce any other resource guarding? I'm really interested any ideas you might have.

He's been a handful since day one this dog, indulged and spoilt. Boundaries are given with threat of a stick. When people believe that they are experts and that your opinion has little value it gets a little wearing to keep trying to educate them. :rolleyes:

When talking to a friend today they mentioned their intact male almost 2 yrs is starting to get a bit jealous when other males interact with her (usually guard type barking with hackles up). I told her that this is behaviour they really need to watch especially as they have young grandkids. She said they'll fix it by putting him over a bitch, that usually settles them down.

I've never heard of this before - has anyone else heard it before or done it? I'm not convinced it's a solution myself, so was wondering what others thought?

I've heard people say that with show dogs it is the making of them but I think they're talking about fire and maturity, not nice behaviour.

Apart from anything else, putting a dog over a bitch purely for a behavioural benefit for the dog is incredibly irresponsible from a breeding perspective and displays no consideration for the bitch's health.

He's been a handful since day one this dog, indulged and spoilt. Boundaries are given with threat of a stick. When people believe that they are experts and that your opinion has little value it gets a little wearing to keep trying to educate them. :rolleyes:

You can't cure stupidity or arrogance with knowledge. ;) Ignorance is far easier to deal with.