The Red Steer

Bit off topic probably.The Red Steer is a bush expression for fire.

I hope all who visit this section are in no danger of the Fires burning at the moment.May everybody and their livestock be safe and well.

Tony

Thank you Tony. I live in suburbia and although we are open to the destruction and devastation of fires, generally not so much as those who live rural. There were quite a number of small fires in neighbouring suburbs but from what I can gather they were grass fires.

There is a fire that last I heard had jumped the 'lines' and wasn't yet under control as at about 7 or 8pm tonight. Haven't caught up with the update on that one but it is far enough away from me. I feel for those who suffer the real stress of nearby fires, and for all the wildlife .... it must be terrifying and for those caught in it, painful if not fatal.

Thanks for thinking of those who are or might be in trouble though Tony. It is a nice thought.

ETA: I read a novel a little while ago .... it was about a 'firey' and reference to the "Red Steer" and its legend was made. So funny, as I understood your reference to it.

Edited by Erny

Been standing on the verandah all evening watching Wandong and Kinglake burn. It's worse now that it's dark as the smoke has cleared and you can see the flames. Really scary. Hard to imagine just how big it is.

Don't think I'll be getting any sleep tonight, as if it gets any closer we'll be getting out of here.

Luckily for us a southerly has sprung up which appears to be pushing it away from us now, although we're still on alert - not so lucky for others though I guess. We had a spot fire about 10 mins up the road and apparently some poor family has lost their house.

Friend from near Broadford was evacuated but has just sent a text to say she has the all clear to go home.

OH and I are still going to take turns to keep watch on it during the night. It's terrifying from this distance, can only imagine what it must be like to see it even closer. All those poor people who have been directly affected.

Edited by kelpiechick

Thanks everybody for the replies.I too hope rain falls on all danger areas.

Your right Erny a fire is an horrific event.Some years back now a Clown on a total fireban day started a fire with a spark from a D9.The wind was up and before we even knew there was a fire, it was into our place.Hectic racing and mustering trying to save stock.We lost nearly everything but luckily not the House.Very very close though as all the paint on the House walls blistered off due to the heat. Tony

This is hell, we have been out all day, no radio or TV, came home to the news of this devastating tragedy.

Thinking of you all and praying all our DOL members and their animals stay safe.

Thinking of you especially kelpiechick.

Bit off topic probably.The Red Steer is a bush expression for fire.

I hope all who visit this section are in no danger of the Fires burning at the moment.May everybody and their livestock be safe and well.

Tony

I am not sure, that the expression is best described as Red Steer. F'ing disaster due to fire lighters/assholes may be better?

So sorry to hear of loss of human life and animals (in every way- farm, pet, or wild).

Luckily for us a southerly has sprung up which appears to be pushing it away from us now, although we're still on alert - not so lucky for others though I guess. We had a spot fire about 10 mins up the road and apparently some poor family has lost their house.

Friend from near Broadford was evacuated but has just sent a text to say she has the all clear to go home.

OH and I are still going to take turns to keep watch on it during the night. It's terrifying from this distance, can only imagine what it must be like to see it even closer. All those poor people who have been directly affected.

Hope everything is still OK, kelpiechick. It's such a scary thing, even if you think you're all prepared. I have a sprinkler system set up on my roof, with a petrol pump to pump out of the tanks I had to install to deal with storm water. I'm on mains water, but am up a hill, so I've always assumed that I would lose water supply in a fire emergency.

Best wishes to all who have been/are being affected.

Everything is OK here although we can still see the smoke from Kinglake in the distance.

Glenvale, Humevale and around the back of Whittlesea was the closest it came to us but that was way too close for comfort.

The nearest flames that we could see were at Glenvale - I found out today that one of the houses destroyed there belonged to a former work colleague who has lost everything as has another at Strathewan.

I still haven't been able to get in touch with a very close friend who was at Marysville so praying that she and her OH are OK.

Whittlesea looks like a refugee camp at the moment, I can't even begin to understand what it must be like or even the scale of it all, it just defies belief.

And the stories of people losing family members and those losing all their dogs are just heartbreaking.

Hope everyone else on DOL is safe too.