Bunnings Wire Compost Bins As A Puppy Pen Big Thumbs Up

NTC

We bought a couple for Mort when he first came home - after the 2nd day - he figured out how to climb the wire and got himself out .... so we didn't use it as a puppy pen after that .... however it makes a GREAT cat litter box cage to keep him out of there - we just opened one side just wide enough to fit the cat - put the litter box inside and voila - Morty can't reach the litter box anymore and Talin has some peace and quiet when he needs it

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love them too. Don't know how many I bought - had trouble getting them though so got more than I needed. Set this up as a practice run for Christmas, went to parents, new house and their fences were not puppy proof.

Found the metal wires provided were too easily wiggle down and the pups escaped. Cable ties are the way to go and clips from the leads or velcro for the gates.

262.jpg

What Bunnings stores in Vic have stocked them?! I've been looking for a while but can't find them anywhere and I was going to use them for when we have puppies (OMG I really need to get my butt into gear and organise stuff!!!) :rainbowbridge:

I had a lot of trouble finding them too - each time I was after them they were out of stock.

Narre warren and Cranbourne is where I got mine.

Ask your local Bunnings to order them in for you - they will.

Edited by Andisa

Love them too. Don't know how many I bought - had trouble getting them though so got more than I needed. Set this up as a practice run for Christmas, went to parents, new house and their fences were not puppy proof.

Found the metal wires provided were too easily wiggle down and the pups escaped. Cable ties are the way to go and clips from the leads or velcro for the gates.

262.jpg

Andisa - where did you get that tunnel from?? It is exactly what I am after for puppy school!

Trish :rainbowbridge:

Andisa - where did you get that tunnel from?? It is exactly what I am after for puppy school!

Trish :cry:

I paid a whopping $25 for a kids set of the tunnel, tee pee and the tent. I got them from the Reject shop in Fountain gate, but I would imagine all the stores would have them. Also came in PINK camo. :rainbowbridge:

All but the tunnel have survived but they had a ball.

Trish :(

I paid a whopping $25 for a kids set of the tunnel, tee pee and the tent. I got them from the Reject shop in Fountain gate, but I would imagine all the stores would have them. Also came in PINK camo. :rainbowbridge:

All but the tunnel have survived but they had a ball.

Thanks - will investigate!!!! :cry:

[Andisa - where did you get that tunnel from?? It is exactly what I am after for puppy school!

Trish :cry:

I have a little tunnel similar to that one that I got at a kid's toy store for about $30. Great for pups and small dogs. Zoe fits even now but it is too small for Kaos, he can only use the big full sized tunnel I have :rainbowbridge:

We bought the pet enclosure on this link for our Golden Retriever puppy and it worked great. It is a little more expensive but they have several types of enclosure and are easy to put together.

http://www.soldsmart.com.au/l2.aspx?depts=41

I've got two of the heavier enclosures (bottom row of that page I think) and they are good, but very heavy and awkward for one person to deal with.

I purchased two of the wire compost bins from Bunnings for a mere fraction of the price (albeit not quite as cheaply as the mainland sells them - probably due to freight costs I guess) and they're a lot easier for me to manoeuvre around my yard. I use cable ties too with dog lead clips to reinforce the corners.

What Bunnings stores in Vic have stocked them?! I've been looking for a while but can't find them anywhere and I was going to use them for when we have puppies (OMG I really need to get my butt into gear and organise stuff!!!) :rolleyes:

I had a lot of trouble finding them too - each time I was after them they were out of stock.

Narre warren and Cranbourne is where I got mine.

Ask your local Bunnings to order them in for you - they will.

Thanks I will :thanks:

do they have a specific name as I'm scared of bunnings :thumbsup: I've gone in so many times saying "I'm looking for the xxxxx thingy....." I can't say what I'll use it for because what I use it for is not what it SHOULD be used for :rofl::thanks:

• 3 weeks later...

I was stoked to read the post about these pens too. That is until the first five minutes our pup spent in there. We look over and shes half over the top! :laugh: We have tried so many different barriers to her getting out, vinyl, bamboo, fabric, towels, but she figures it out every time. Often happens in the morning. We hear a "THUMP" and next thing shes in our room.

Im so glad you all have had a better time with them :rofl:

We bought the pet enclosure on this link for our Golden Retriever puppy and it worked great. It is a little more expensive but they have several types of enclosure and are easy to put together.

http://www.soldsmart.com.au/l2.aspx?depts=41

I've got two of the heavier enclosures (bottom row of that page I think) and they are good, but very heavy and awkward for one person to deal with.

I purchased two of the wire compost bins from Bunnings for a mere fraction of the price (albeit not quite as cheaply as the mainland sells them - probably due to freight costs I guess) and they're a lot easier for me to manoeuvre around my yard. I use cable ties too with dog lead clips to reinforce the corners.

We have one of the same set up in our family room. Great pens, really solid and I love how easy it is to change the configuration. I got ours from eBay for $110 :rofl:

No Bunnings here but those compost bins sound like great value.

I was stoked to read the post about these pens too. That is until the first five minutes our pup spent in there. We look over and shes half over the top! :laugh: We have tried so many different barriers to her getting out, vinyl, bamboo, fabric, towels, but she figures it out every time. Often happens in the morning. We hear a "THUMP" and next thing shes in our room.

Im so glad you all have had a better time with them :rofl:

Buy another and do what I did....use the panels to make a lid!

I was stoked to read the post about these pens too. That is until the first five minutes our pup spent in there. We look over and shes half over the top! :( We have tried so many different barriers to her getting out, vinyl, bamboo, fabric, towels, but she figures it out every time. Often happens in the morning. We hear a "THUMP" and next thing shes in our room.

Im so glad you all have had a better time with them :laugh:

Buy another and do what I did....use the panels to make a lid!

Ellz, I have considered this but wasnt sure how to secure it well enough so it doesnt fall off but that I can get in easy enough. How did you do it?