For Those Who Tried Barf

becks

I'm just wondering about those people who have tried their dogs on the BARF/raw style diets and felt their dogs didn't do so well on it, why you came to that conclusion and if you think you managed to give your dogs a good, balanced diet on the BARF/raw.

Please keep this as a friendly thread and not a BARF v commercial diet argument. I'm just interested in why some dogs have not thrived as well on the diet as they do on commercial foods.

I tried my sheltie on barf for about 18 months. I had no complaints with it other than he developed dermatitis on his feet and jawline as well as a few ear infections so after further research, I ditched the fruit, veg & supplements and now feed based on a prey model diet. I've been feeding this way for over a year now and no sign of any dermatitis or ear problems.

Best thing I ever did for my boy...

I'm one of these :rofl:

I tried BARF a couple of years ago, read every book and article I could possibly read and decided I would give it a go.

After around a month of BARF I was at dog training with my over the top border collie who for some reason had become disinterested in working that particular day. Didn't think much of it, just thought he has having a bad day.

Training next week was the same, not interested in working, and the week after again. I cannot explain how flat this dog was :) He was not interested in food, toys, anything and I was starting to worry a bit. After talking to a friend at training (without them knowing what I was feeding) they mentioned that it might be diet related.

I then twigged that I had changed his diet over a couple of months prior to BARF. I went back home and again read all of the info I had, made sure he was getting everything needed in relation to his body weight etc. Everything I was doing is as I was supposed to according to BARF.

I thought I would try him back on his kibble to see whether this was a diet related issue and within 2 weeks I had my Cooper back again.

For some reason it did not agree with him, or there was something missing in his diet that was not being covered by BARF, I dont know.

I will now continue to feed the kibble as I do, and whatever foods my dogs do well on :rofl:

I am another one that tried a complete BARF diet (BARF patties and meaty bones) without success. Two of the dogs did quite well but the other two lost a lot of weight and would refuse to eat for days at a time. I persued it but gave up when I thought their health was suffering.

I now feed a mix of dry food and raw plus bones a few times a week. They are all in great condition.

same here, my girl would often vomit after eating as well and it took weeks to get a mix she could keep down, she certainly didn't have the get up and go she had previously. I tried to persist but after she dropped her winter coat and her new coat came though dull and lifeless looking i choose to go back to adding dry food to her diet, she has a lovely shinny thick coat and is looking much better.

I first started the dogs on the BARF patties and after two days Daisy refused to eat them - so I made my own (as well as feeding RMBs) and haven't looked back.

However Cherry on BARF went back to having severe skin irritations, she hadn't had them in the years since we changed her to RC so I have a feeling she is intolerant to red meat (as RC is chicken based). Since changing her back she is fine and can eat raw chicken bones but any taste of red meat will send her back into a scratching frenzy.

My dogs get both, Kibble and Raw. The babies get Purina Pro Plan and the big guys get Advance or Cobber ( yes, cheapie brand Cobber... it is good stuff)

Mince is from Big Dog pet foods, who I cannot recommend highly enough. I was buying mince and off cuts from my local butcher, at first it was great but the dogs weren't holding condition as well and their coats hard become very dull.

When I discovered BIG DOG Pet mince what a dramatic turn around and nearly 2 yrs later they still love it and they look excellent for it.

Their diet also consists of chicken frames and bones ( brisket and marrow). Pups included. Pups are started on 1/2 chicken frame each by the time they are 6 wks old.

A lot of breeders of my breed in Europe and the UK are doing the whole 'Prey model' thing. I am yet to be completely convinced. Some are raving about the health and muscle tone of their dogs that has improved, honestly I just can't see it. There is one kennel in Europe that I have been to visit and yes they are in awesome condition and she had a lot of health problems in her kennel previously and the change in diet has certainly improved 100% the quality in her dogs health.

I just don't find it a feasible option here as sourcing a variety of meats at reasonable prices is really quite difficult.

How do others in the Brisbane/ SEQ area do it?

post-13424-1235610818_thumb.jpg

Nothing wrong with the muscle tone on this girl for a kibble and meat diet!!!

Good question Becks :thumbsup: I really do think that, like humans, what suits one individual won't necessarily suits another.

We are still searching for the right combination ourselves as we have an atopic dog. I'm open to suggestions but as our guy is seeing a vet derm and it looks like he will be having desensitisation treatment, it could be a while before we find the final diet.

I'm pretty sure kangaroo and turkey are okay, perhaps also lamb, which he loves. He has some kibble, but the only one he will eat that doesn't send him into a scratching frenzy is Natures Goodness. Tried several premium brands, and he won't eat them.

Koolietas, if the desensitisation doesn't work, I may look at removing the extras to see how it goes.

I just don't find it a feasible option here as sourcing a variety of meats at reasonable prices is really quite difficult.

post-13424-1235610818_thumb.jpg

Nothing wrong with the muscle tone on this girl for a kibble and meat diet!!!

She does look good tashnchief.

We live on the south side of Brisbane. With the meat I buy in bulk, especially when on special, as we have a big freezer.

I buy turkey necks from woolies and look out for cheaper cuts on special or reduced.

I also buy in bulk from my butcher - eg a side of lamb which I will keep all the nice chops and the roast for us and chop up the rest for our fur kid.

Kangaroo mince (which I use to make the patties) at Woolies is too expensive, so I buy that from petwise - I haven't noticed any negative reactions from it.

I tried the raw thing and my two were not interested at all. One of my doggies is a beagle so to not be interested in food was a huge thing for her.

I now give them kibble in the mornings and veg, cooked thigh fillets and chicken necks for dinner. they are both doing really well on this diet.

Each Sunday they both get a massive lamb shank (no dinner) and love it.

I tried BARF with Diesel.

I had a hard time keeping weight on him, and seemed to need to feed him a huge amount of food! I pulped the vegies once a week, but I felt it was very time consuming (took an hour or so). I also found with the organ meats and sardines etc that it was getting rather expensive. And it didn't help his skin condition.

I only have two dogs to feed on BARF so I don't have to buy a lot.

Yesterday for eg I bought four chicken frames and 1kg of chicken wings, it was less than $5 for the lot.

I make up several kgs of BARF mix and the meat costs me no more than $6/kg, vegies and fruit is cheap and I get a tin of sardines for 55 cents to add in too. The offal is cheaper than the mince. That lasts for three weeks as I feed it with lots of other RMBs.

If I had more dogs to feed I would probably buy a standing freezer and buy everything in bulk. You can buy in bulk through Canine Country.

Thanks MiniMum,

My guys get all the usual stuff like Chicken Frames, Turkey necks ( but aren't real fussed unless they are smoked, which a friend of ours does) They get fairly equal portions of mince meat ( Big Dog variety so, meats, bone, offal, veges, fruits etc) and kibble. Bones once to twice a week.

However, from what I have read and been told on true prey model is there is a large variety of whole meats/ animal given, inc organs. Eg. whole rabbit, lamb and lamb organs, goat, fish etc, etc.

I had never thought of buying a whole side of lamb and I honestly would have always considered it too expensive. I have 3 adult DDB's and 2 young pups + litters and possibily another adult dog planned farriving in the next 18months = large feed bill ...! LOL

Definately something to look into and consider...must go track down a good butcher!

I am blessed that my dogs do well on the diet they currently have although there has certainly been some trial and error over the last few years finding kibble that suits them.

I have not had any troubles with skin issues either ( in a breed that can be quite prone to them).

Like I said earlier, I have seen some kennels swear by Raw, Barf etc and I honestly cannot see why.

Others it has worked for....I guess dogs are just like us not everything will suit each individual.

I only have two dogs to feed on BARF so I don't have to buy a lot.

Yesterday for eg I bought four chicken frames and 1kg of chicken wings, it was less than $5 for the lot.

I make up several kgs of BARF mix and the meat costs me no more than $6/kg, vegies and fruit is cheap and I get a tin of sardines for 55 cents to add in too. The offal is cheaper than the mince. That lasts for three weeks as I feed it with lots of other RMBs.

If I had more dogs to feed I would probably buy a standing freezer and buy everything in bulk. You can buy in bulk through Canine Country.

Yep, I do. I buy from Big Dog in bulk!!! I go through a 2kg log of mince per day sometimes more!!!!

I don't have time to make my own ...between working full time, caring for 5+ dogs and showing ...who has time to cook for themselves let alone the dogs! LOL

It is all the other stuff that is the 'new trend' eg: Prey model raw etc.

As I have mentioned above I think you would break the bank trying to feed some of this stuff to more than 1-2 dogs. Either that or your catching it, killing it and growing it yourself :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, I don't use or recommend to my puppy buyers to do solely barf or raw feeding until there dog has finished growing. Too many probs growing large breed dogs carefully as it is.

I would be terrified that the pups are not getting the right nutritional balance for growth.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has raised their pup on pure raw/barf diet?

Edited by tashnchief

LOL T&C I think I will stick to my smaller dogs, my Sibe is not even 30kg and he hardly eats anything :thumbsup:

Dr Billinghurst has a book called "Grow your pup with bones" that I think many people find helpful, the next time I get a pup I will start feeding it BARF from the word go - it just works well for my dogs :thumbsup:

Edited by huski

The smallest adult here is 54kg the biggest 68kg :thumbsup:

Even my babies ( 4.5months = 25kg) eat heaps!!!

I have done a fair bit of research on the net about it but still feel far safer using a mix of good kibble and mince etc. At least that way I can be sure they get the right mix of vitamins and minerals.

As people have stated above it hasn't cleared up skin issues or it has created skin issues, not that I am saying it will but in a young pups delicate immune systems I would be erring on the side of caution. That's for my breed anyway, they are prone to demodex as youngsters as their bodies are going through so much allowing them to grow.

Not to mention the horrors I have seen in Dogues with east-west fronts, knuckling over all from poor diet.

I think the key is a good balance.

Afterall, who wants to eat plain kibble day in and day out, it would be like eating only weetbix for the rest of your life! LOL

Edited by tashnchief

As people have stated above it hasn't cleared up skin issues or it has created skin issues, not that I am saying it will but in a young pups delicate immune systems I would be erring on the side of caution. That's for my breed anyway, they are prone to demodex as youngsters as their bodies are going through so much allowing them to grow.

Not to mention the horrors I have seen in Dogues with east-west fronts, knuckling over all from poor diet.

I think the key is a good balance.

It is really about the individual dog - there is no one diet that will suit all dogs. BARF doesn't suit Cherry. My cat loves it though :thumbsup:

I made the change to a 100% raw diet because of Daisy's yeast infections and I have seen a remarkable difference in her skin and ear infections, now she has no grain in her diet. She and Micha are thriving on BARF and I know many dogs who do, just as many dogs thrive on super premium kibble :thumbsup:

I have recently changed to raw diet,one of my dogs looks really well on it ,shiny coat neat waist but it has not cured him of allergy issues (which are seasonal and seem bad this year) the other dog is also looking well .I agree it can be a lot of work and time consuming getting a variety of meats,veges etc.and the quantities seem huge as I buy in bulk.Both are large dogs.One funny thing we had happen is although we thought they would eat ANYTHING this does't include ox kidney or tripe. :love:

I had my dogs on home-made BARF for several years after discovering Hope was allergic to every processed food I tried. I found it more time consuming than I liked and the dogs looked okay, but really no different to how they looked on dry (except Hope did stop scratching).

Then I gained access to the internet and discovered dogs were carnivores and did not in fact need veggies!

I changed to Whole Prey Model and WOW, what a change! Fox's coat went from shiny and coarse (I had always thought that was what his coat was supposed to be like) to super shiny and super soft...I couldn't get over it! Both dogs look the best they ever have now.

hopenfox

I was having to feed a rediculous amount of raw/barf to keep my dogs in condition - it was cheaper to buy RC kibble! When i did it by the book the boys (GSD's) didn't keep their condition but they did on kibble. Currently they are getting a bag of bones (lamb, pork, beef etC) between them each night ($1) and occasionally get kibble (Uncle Barko), chook frames (5 for $1) etc and they are looking great :love: