Chicken Frames ...

NoodleNut

Hi All,

I was speaking to my mother yesterday (they have a CKC pup) in Adelaide and she was told by a owner of a petshop (I grimace already at the mear mention of a petshop .. I did manage to convince her to buy their pup from a breeder though :cheer: ) that they should not feed their dog chicken frames as the bone builds up in the dogs body. :) I have NEVER heard of this before so thought I had better check out all DOLers perspectives.

The petshop owner said it shortens the life of the dog because of the build up of bone in the dog's system. :laugh: What the??

Noodle was in kenel for a couple of weeks while we were interstate and was fed Eagle Pack while we were away and still managed to get some tartar build up on her teeth. Since being home she has had a chicken frame nearly every day (frozen) and then her dry food at night (combination of Advance, Eagle Pack and Pro Plan) as well as her one cut up apple and a carrot every second day. Noodles' teeth are as white as the driven snow now!

So should I not be giving her chicken frames?

My gut instinct is that this advice is a load of baloney but ... thought I had better ask ......

Here is a photo of my gorgeous Noodle ... any opportunity to brag LOL

post-16051-1235732881_thumb.jpg

I would say absolute baloney.

But I really do have problems with advise from pet shops. I was told a week ago by someone in a petshop that dogs shouldn't eat meat :) .

It sounds like the chicken frames have been working for your Noodle, who by the way, is gorgeous. How do you cope with that coat?

Yes a load of baloney... I guess the next step the person in the petshop would take is to sell a bag of 'this wonderful food' :) I love your Noodle :laugh:

Hi Gretel .....Yes, I can well imagine she might have sold mum some food .. never thought to ask that question.... mum believed her though about th chicken frames ... made me very annoyed becasue I had never heard such a thing. Mum is at least giving her pup apples though at my suggestion .. my Noo ADORES her apple which she shares with our ten year old and my hubby ... very funny to watch.

But I really do have problems with advise from pet shops. I was told a week ago by someone in a petshop that dogs shouldn't eat meat :) .

It sounds like the chicken frames have been working for your Noodle, who by the way, is gorgeous. How do you cope with that coat?

Coat is now 'coped with' by the purchase of a coat .. got it this evening. I know everyone is going to laugh at training BUT they don't have to spend 3 hours or so washing and then picking out bits of leaf matter and twigs out of her coat!! At the moment Noodle is 'drip drying' in her pen after baths .. great weather for bathing a Puli. Noodle's cords are not mature (she is only 14 onths old) so still has some frizzy bits which are like velcro to any plant matter or bark chips!

post-16051-1235737431_thumb.jpg

But I really do have problems with advise from pet shops. I was told a week ago by someone in a petshop that dogs shouldn't eat meat :laugh: .

Coat is now 'coped with' by the purchase of a coat .. got it this evening. I know everyone is going to laugh at training BUT they don't have to spend 3 hours or so washing and then picking out bits of leaf matter and twigs out of her coat!! At the moment Noodle is 'drip drying' in her pen after baths .. great weather for bathing a Puli. Noodle's cords are not mature (she is only 14 onths old) so still has some frizzy bits which are like velcro to any plant matter or bark chips!

And p;eople think poodles have difficult coats :)

A friend of mine had a dog that died becuase it had a build up of fine chicken bone fragments that didnt break down and stayed in the pit of his stomach and created a blockage. Along with his regular food he was feeding him chicken necks and pet chicken mince (which apparently contains very fine bone).

Edited by BUGGA-LUGZ

Load of baloney!

I have been feeding one of my GR's Chicken wings and Frames either defrosted or frozen depending when i remember to take it out. She also gets Chicken mince, Offal twice a week and Dry Bonnie Working Dog and her teeth are as white as ever, coat is great, has nice weight. Have very good results and i am happy :)

hmmm...my vet gave me some advice when I bought my pups in for their first examination. He said, "Chicken bones are fine. These days, chickens are culled at very young ages, and their bones are soft. Raw or cooked; I can eat them without problems; and if i can eat them, a dog can do so easily." I have to say, my OH eats chook bones happily - but then again, he thinks he's a macho cave man. (I'm also a bit concerned about a vet that eats raw chicken, but I guess everyone has their preferences! LOL :) )!!

I would say, watch what you give them. We fuss over whether chook/lamb/other meat is ok; yet i know of dogs who have eaten socks and all sorts of things! - my sister's border collie pup ATE the bumper bar of her new car!

Edited by lappiemum

thats a pile of baloney as everyone else has said.

chicken carcasses are great for dogs, my two get them regularly. it keeps their teeth nice and clean, and I find the majority of carcasses I buy have a decent amount of meat on them still.

on the other hand feed dogs too much bone and not enough meat/other things, [ie just feeding them bones with a tiny bit of meat on them and nothing else] it can lead to severe constipation and sometimes even death because it blocks up their intestines

I'm willing to admit that there may have been a dog somewhere who had trouble with retaining chicken bone. But I'll bet there have been a lot more dogs who have ended out with stinking mouths and rotten teeth and a bundle of other problems because they are never fed anything that works their teeth. Chicken frames are popular with people who own and have owned lots of dogs because they are a great food, widely available for a small price, and most dogs thrive on them.

Got no idea what they are talking about.

I think that still gets around as years ago they said not to feed chicken bones because they splintered..

I feed chicken bones/frames etc without issue.. Only occassionally it goes straight through them.

You can feed any bone As long as its raw

I dont feed hard bones like beef bones, marrow bones etc to puppies only because of their puppy teeth and the possibility of them breaking on the hard bones. I feed Lamb brisket or chicken/turkey bones instead. It is not until puppies get adult teeth that I start to give them beef bones and marrow bones. For me also having borders, I get the butcher to cut the bones lengthwise so they can get the marrow out and still have a good chew

I'm willing to admit that there may have been a dog somewhere who had trouble with retaining chicken bone. But I'll bet there have been a lot more dogs who have ended out with stinking mouths and rotten teeth and a bundle of other problems because they are never fed anything that works their teeth. Chicken frames are popular with people who own and have owned lots of dogs because they are a great food, widely available for a small price, and most dogs thrive on them.

Yuck smelly doggie breath ..... ewwwwww! :shakehead:

Thanks one and all ..... I agree with the comments that it is a load of rot. Yes, there is the occassional case of a dog being malnorished from only eating chicken bones .. I am into a balanced diet with the kibble and the raw fruit and veg and it is working for me. There is risks in everything really. I prefer her to have nice white teeth than to have calc all over them and have to have her undergo an anaesthetic to get it all off! Yucko let alone $$$$ :laugh: My sister's toy poodle has had theat done. Looks like my mums CKC is going to head along the same route .. apparently the pet shop person has more knowledge than me who reads copious books and asks questions to knowledgable others and my breeder. Bet the pet shop owner wouldn't even know what breed my dog was if I walked through the door! I did soooo much research over 4 months before buying Noodle and then spent 6 onths visiting the breeder before Noodle was even conceived .. I am sure I was a breeder's worst nightmare ... BUT... I now what I have in my furry family member :rolleyes:

Went to vet this morning (immunisation due and to get more heart guard tablets) and the vet was most impressed with her (physically and temperamentally ... big sook .. she didn't like the second jab though ... wimpered .. poor sweet :love: ). The vet is fine with me giving her chicken frames and said there is the occassional dog that gets a bone stuck in their throat etc but it is VERY rare.

:) I think mum is also scar'd from the fact that our family dog got a perforated bowel from cooked bones my grandmother gave him when we were away one time .... we were most unimpressed .. grandma ignored our instructions NOT to give him cooked bone and she did saying her dogs used to have them ... $$$ later and major surgery he was fine but it was touch and go.

Thanks again everyone! Hopefully we wont have problems with Noodle and chicken bones.

And here's another one :laugh: i feed only frames or thigh's with a small amount of dry and the dogs love it and i only have a small amount of poo's to pick up each day, the dogs look great and keep their weight better this way...

Most Girls ( or boy's ) at pet shops parrot fashion things they have heard from other customers and they come out with soooo much tripe sometime's just to make a sale :rolleyes:

If anything, it will not be a bone build up it will be sand from the owners throwing their food out in the dirt the body will pass the dirt easily but sometime's the sand seperate's and sink's into that little pouch bit below the outlet of the stomach and it builds up and sometimes cause's the animal to go off their food ( they feel full ) they develop a temp and if nothing is done they will die....

Linda..

And here's another one :love: i feed only frames or thigh's with a small amount of dry and the dogs love it and i only have a small amount of poo's to pick up each day, the dogs look great and keep their weight better this way...

Most Girls ( or boy's ) at pet shops parrot fashion things they have heard from other customers and they come out with soooo much tripe sometime's just to make a sale :rolleyes:

If anything, it will not be a bone build up it will be sand from the owners throwing their food out in the dirt the body will pass the dirt easily but sometime's the sand seperate's and sink's into that little pouch bit below the outlet of the stomach and it builds up and sometimes cause's the animal to go off their food ( they feel full ) they develop a temp and if nothing is done they will die....

Linda..

:laugh: that is rather interesting, I should stop letting my two boogers eat outside. they love to lie in what was the lawn [now a big sandy dustbowl] and munch down on their chicken carcasses

I should of added in my earlier post that I in the past have fed chicken necks and never had a problem.

The only one I have heard of that did have a problem was my friends dog that died and that was the reason they gave me :rolleyes: .They found a build up of crushed bone? when they operated and it was too late and he died on the table :love: . Apparently this dog was fed alot of pet grade chicken mince plus their dry food. I had never seen this dog as we live quite a distance from each other, I hope it wasnt from a poor diet as they seemed to really love their dog. :)

I had just been very weary since they told me that thats all. :laugh:

But I really do have problems with advise from pet shops.

Me too - There is one particular pet shop I go to to buy crickets for my Bearded Dragons and everytime Im there I find myself listening in to some comments from the staff and rolling my eyes. Once I heard one of the staff telling a lady all about the frilled neck lizard they had for sale and heard her mention to the customer that they come from 'somewhere in Asia'. :cheer: I have had to go as far as pulling a customer aside to give them correct information, especially when it comes to reptiles - a small bit of wrong info really can equal death :)

And here's another one :laugh: i feed only frames or thigh's with a small amount of dry and the dogs love it and i only have a small amount of poo's to pick up each day, the dogs look great and keep their weight better this way...

Most Girls ( or boy's ) at pet shops parrot fashion things they have heard from other customers and they come out with soooo much tripe sometime's just to make a sale :cheer:

Linda..

:laugh: that is rather interesting, I should stop letting my two boogers eat outside. they love to lie in what was the lawn [now a big sandy dustbowl] and munch down on their chicken carcasses

Me too. I give my Irish Terrier her chicken carcass on the relative clean concrete drive & she drags it onto the 'lawn' & eats it together with the sand & dried grass etc etc. Maybe she likes to add a bit of greens & condiments to her food !!

But I really do have problems with advise from pet shops.

Me too - There is one particular pet shop I go to to buy crickets for my Bearded Dragons and everytime Im there I find myself listening in to some comments from the staff and rolling my eyes. Once I heard one of the staff telling a lady all about the frilled neck lizard they had for sale and heard her mention to the customer that they come from 'somewhere in Asia'. :cheer: I have had to go as far as pulling a customer aside to give them correct information, especially when it comes to reptiles - a small bit of wrong info really can equal death :laugh:

:laugh: Thats awful - Glad you were there to set things straight.