Poodle Drying?

Is for a mini and standard poodle.

Normally keep coat short: #5 body.

Will a force-type dryer be OK?

Can you dry their coat all the way thru without 3 arms?

Standard poodle will need to be standing on floor to be dried (big grooming table won't fit).

Need something smaller (it will have to be packed away b/w washes)

Huh?

:love: Sorry.

Will have another go .....

Poodles SHOULD be fluff dried for the best finish.

I thought you needed a stand dryer to fluff dry, so you have 2 hands free to do this??

Or, a groomers "third arm" (but I have no table to attach to)?

Finish isn't that important to me as both are pets.

As long as I can dry right thru the coat while holding the nozzle of a force dryer with one hand?

Am new to this dryer thing

I dry my friend's mini and toy poodles with my forced air dryer all the time (I have a double k airmax dryer) and I've never had a problem. They have quite short coats (I give them a lamb clip, with quite short wool left on the body) so they dry very quickly and I use the low setting on my dryer for the head which gets through it easily. I do them on the table (literally on the kitchen bench) but have done them on the floor before. I use one hand to hold the dog, and one for the dryer and then once they're nearly dry, i can either get someone to hold the dog while i brush or turn the dryer off, brush them out, dry them some more and then brush again.

If i can get through a siberian husky coat (while the dog is in full coat) with a dryer, I'm sure it'll get through any poodle coat without a problem!

That makes a bit more sense :love:

When I was grooming for a living, I just used a force dryer with a hand held hose. Only have the stand dryer at home, and even then I have a hose attachment on that too. There is enough fluffing happening with a force dryer.

IMO the force dryers work better than stand dryers for fluff drying. I bought a stand dryer years ago but ended up selling it because it never got used.

I keep both my standards around an inch to two inches all over (same with the little guys) and if I groom them at home I use my MDC Hurricane which is very compact but reasonably powerful but at work I do them with my ezy coat twin motor which is much more powerful and dries them quicker.

I never air dry Bruno. :(

I like his coat curly. And more important, he gets wet like twice a day, it would be a full time work. :thumbsup:

Question though, do these force dryers use hot/warm air? If they do, that's another reason why I wouldn't do it, it's already too hot here.

I never air dry Bruno. :rofl:

I like his coat curly. And more important, he gets wet like twice a day, it would be a full time work. :(

Question though, do these force dryers use hot/warm air? If they do, that's another reason why I wouldn't do it, it's already too hot here.

From what I can tell, heat or not depends on the particular model.

I've just moved to Canberra and thought wet poodles will freeze in winter.

Also, backyard is largely dirt due to dying grass (water restrictions).

Whole house has carpet and I'll have to bath/ shower Charile (the 24kg standard0 upstairs. No problem with carrying a mini out wrapped in towel, but 24kg wet poodle a bit different.

Thanks for advice, guys :thumbsup: !

Poodles SHOULD be fluff dried for the best finish.

You can achieve the same look by using your force dryer to dry 90% of the dog, then use a simple hand held human dryer for the last 10%.

Re. the tables, just because the dogs are big they don't necessarily need a big table. I groom lots of big dogs on smaller tables as I find it easier for the dog to take up the whole table area.

A lot of the drying on my Yanks is done with the force dryer with the exception of the final finishing, although I can, if really pushed do a show dry if my stand dryer isn't available for any reason. I just prefer not to as I like the control over the hair that brushing and drying gives me (and I find it therapeutic too - it's when I do some of my "mindfulness" work).

You will just need to get the right technique going so that you don't cause the air to make the hair swirl around and cause "twizzles". This will come with time and experience though.

I find that big dogs are actually easier to groom on a smaller table because they don't get the impression that there is enough table for them to wander on and keep trying to move away.

I use a force dryer on my standard (Double K Airmax).

He has been taught not to leave the table while we're grooming so I have the dryer in one hand and my brush in the other. As he is only a baby (little over 8 months) he can be a little squirmy and if this happens then I put the brush down and hold the dog with my free hand until he calms down, still drying with the other hand and then just brush once it's almost dry. I can't seem to get a really beautiful straight fluffed coat without brushing and drying at the same time though!

I only use the low setting as with both motors going it's just a little too much air, but if your not fussed by the finished look particularly it's much faster with two motors.

The dryer does get warm although it has no heating element, the motors apparently warm the air.