Bloat

I was on my way home from the show today when my mum called. She thinks Millie our older Wei is bloating and say's she is off to the vets.

Just had a phone call back now that I'm home, yes it is bloat, they are waiting on a vet nurse to come in for surgery :) What happens now? I know all about bloat and what signs to look out for etc. but never actually had experience with it. Will she be OK, can she still have trouble through the operation? I'm worried bloody sick :eek:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no.

I thought that bloat was something that had to be delt with very quickly otherwise the stomach can twist.

I think that they either put a tube down into the stomach or in some cases I have heard of them puncturing the skin and inserting a big needle into the stomach that way.

Bloat is where the gas is trapped but may be evacuated, GDV Gastric torsion is where the stomach twists and traps the gas, necissitating abdominal surgery to untwist the stomach.

It is a very big operation and I won't lie, it has a very high risk - both surgically and post-operativley for blood clots and infection.

With a successful op, they will usually perform a Gastroplexy to anchor the stomach to the abdominal wall or ribs, to reduce further risks of GDV.

PM me if you need any further info.

sending all my good vibes your way.

The deep chested dogs are most at risk, ie; the wei's, wolfhounds, danes, labs ect.

fifi

Edited by fifi

Thanks so much fifi,

Just had another phone call. They think they have caught it early enough. A tube was put down and they are going in to make sure everything is OK and to do a Gastropec (sp?).

Sounds good so far, just waiting on the phone call from the vet

Hoping all is well, there are good descriptions of the Gastroplexi op in those links.

If they were able to successfully pass a tube into the stomach, then hopefully she's not twisted and the gas can be relieved.

still sending good vibes, have been where you are and its very stressful :-(

fifi

Everything here crossed for a good outcome.

Bloat sounds bloody terrifying

:confused: it is SL, one minute your dog is happy & healthy, within an hour you can be at the vet preparing for life saving surgery.

Early detection is your best bet for the first steps to a successful outcome.

fifi

Just had a phone call from the vet. So far, so good.

Her stomach was twisted about 180 degrees but no organs were damaged. They are currently stitching the wall so will be a while until she is out yet.

There is talk of sending her to Melbourne tonight as no-one stays at our local vet overnight. Not sure thats a good idea with Millie being such a stress head but they said they will discuss options later on.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and well wishes

Would they let a family member stay overnight with her and have someone on call?

I'd not be keen to move, transport and move her again only to have to reverse it tomorrow.

Plus the $$$$ of spending the night at an emergency vet can be very :confused:

So far good news :-)

It's long surgery, so don't stress if it takes them a while to get back to you.

Candle lit here to keep the good vibes flowing.

she will need intensive care nursing, and will be on anaelgesia, so Millie won't stress too much as she will be quite groggy for some time.

fifi

Would they let a family member stay overnight with her and have someone on call?

Thats the idea we are going for, our vet is very helpful and knows what Millie is like so hopefully she will figure out an easier/safer option.

Thats the idea we are going for, our vet is very helpful and knows what Millie is like so hopefully she will figure out an easier/safer option.

Time to dust off the Lilo. If she doesn't need drips changed or anything, hopefully they'll go for it.

Edited by poodlefan