I Dropped My Camera :(.

Guest Clover

Guest Clover

Arghhh dammit, i was in a hurry to get to a bithday party this afternoon and was getting everything organised and accidently dropped my camera. I thought everything was fine til i pulled it out at the birthday party and found out the lense was stuffed :thumbsup:. Something has come loose inside and it has seized up, definitely not usable. The camera body is fine thankfully.

Thank doG for warranty, i will be taking it in first thing Monday morning.

... Thank doG for warranty, i will be taking it in first thing Monday morning.

Rotten luck, happens easy, and lenses can't take much of a bump, bodies are tougher. Let's know how the warranty people react, they could say it is an insurance issue, not under warranty if it is damage from a drop. If you need to get it repaired, there is an excellent fix it place on Toorak Road in Camberwell that might be cheaper than repair through a dealer (if you have to pay yourself).

Having worked for a camera wholesaler in the past, they will open it up, look at it and send back a report that says, "Impact damage - not covered by warranty". They can tell.

Then they should give a quote for repair at this time also.

Impact damage can often be an easy fix... you're lucky it isn't sand or water damage. You have no idea how often people would try to claim sand and water damage under warranty and tell you that they haven't been anywhere near sand and/or water.

I hope the camera itself is all OK. The kit lenses often sell very cheaply 2nd hand depending which ones they are, they're often hardly used too so with a bit of luck, if it cant be repaired you'll be able to pick up another without too much wallet haemorraging.

Edited by Kirislin

Just out of curiousity, why do you assume damage caused by you is covered under warranty? Warranty covers manufacturing flaws.

Just out of curiousity, why do you assume damage caused by you is covered under warranty? Warranty covers manufacturing flaws.

That's a bit harsh Gayle.

I learnt that there are many people out there who honestly don't realise what they warranties are actually for and are almost apologetic (and embarrassed) when you tell them. Which seems could be the case here.

Sorry to hear this, how annoying and expensive. Not sure what camera/lenses you have to make it worthwhile, but would it be wise to invest in insurance just on your gear to cover you for things like this?

Sorry to hear this, how annoying and expensive. Not sure what camera/lenses you have to make it worthwhile, but would it be wise to invest in insurance just on your gear to cover you for things like this?

Good idea. When I found I was taking my camera everywhere, and because I've already had one stolen I decided to add it onto my contents insurance. I am covered now even when I take it away from home. You need to insure the lenses separately though. It does give me peace of mind so I think it's worth it.

Least you didn't drop it into the ocean like I did :)

Did you try and claim sand and water damage? :) I've had one of those come through. The people had a 'weather resistant' camera which means it can take a light spray and extremes in temperature. Apparently 'submerged in ocean' should be covered by 'weather resistant' :thumbsup::)

Guest Tess32
Least you didn't drop it into the ocean like I did :laugh:

Did you try and claim sand and water damage? :) I've had one of those come through. The people had a 'weather resistant' camera which means it can take a light spray and extremes in temperature. Apparently 'submerged in ocean' should be covered by 'weather resistant' :thumbsup::)

:) I haven't done anything with it yet, it is just sitting there. I am convinced it is dead. I'm also lazy and that was when I took the opportunity to buy the 50D :thumbsup:

Last photo it took :D

p147834322-2.jpg

Good idea. When I found I was taking my camera everywhere, and because I've already had one stolen I decided to add it onto my contents insurance. I am covered now even when I take it away from home. You need to insure the lenses separately though. It does give me peace of mind so I think it's worth it.

Hi Clover, just wondered how you went with your busted lense, was it covered under warranty. I have recently bought another lense and I wanted to know if all my gear was covered outside of the home, so I rang my insurance company and they said all of my equipment is covered outside the home and the good thing about the camera gear is each item is covered for a certain amount, it is not all classified together, so If everything got stolen, I can make a claim on each individual piece of equipment up to a certain amount. I didnt have to pay any extra on my contents insurance my policy already covered my equipment away from home. Im thinking it would depend on the insurance company as to how they go about insuring things away from the home.

Hope you got it sorted!!

Kirislin, did you have to pay any extra on your policy or was it an inclusion of your existing policy?

Hi Clover, just wondered how you went with your busted lense, was it covered under warranty. I have recently bought another lense and I wanted to know if all my gear was covered outside of the home, so I rang my insurance company and they said all of my equipment is covered outside the home and the good thing about the camera gear is each item is covered for a certain amount, it is not all classified together, so If everything got stolen, I can make a claim on each individual piece of equipment up to a certain amount. I didnt have to pay any extra on my contents insurance my policy already covered my equipment away from home. Im thinking it would depend on the insurance company as to how they go about insuring things away from the home.

Hope you got it sorted!!

Kirislin, did you have to pay any extra on your policy or was it an inclusion of your existing policy?

Yes, I did have to pay extra! I had to give them the serial numbers on each item, and I haven't added on the last lens I bought. Who are you insured with?

Edited by Kirislin

Eeek, hope it is not too expensive to fix.

The treasurer of the Brittany club borrowed his son's professional camera gear and took himself some photos at the Brittany club the last few years. Last year when I saw him the first thing he said to me was he dropped his son's lens and it cost about $900 to repair so he didn't have it :laugh: - was a rather expensive lens to begin with though.

I dropped my camera once, on concrete too, luckily no damage and I don't use it without the strap around my neck now

If you have a cannon and it ends up being too expensive to repair you could get a 50mm EF lens, very good lens for about $150

Edited by helen