Long Term Use Of Metacam

Robbi

I have two elderly Kelpies who have been prescribed Metacam by our vet however I am concerned whether long term use of it may cause stomach ulcers or other side-effects. They are healthy and happy in all ways except for their arthritis. :laugh:

They have been on joint formula containing glucosime and chondroitin, apple cider vinegar and devils claw. They werent very keen on the devils claw as it was basically dried bark chips but I think they did help. The younger guy is only 13 and vet said every second day on metacam is fine as he is only a little bit stiff in the hind legs but Jessica is 16 and her front legs are giving her a bit of pain and the knee joints are swollen so she is to be given her metacam daily. Is yoghurt or something similar a good idea to keep her gut flora healthy, I am open to all ideas :laugh:

I've got a dog on Metacam, she wouldn't be able to live if she didn't have it as she'd be in so much pain.

As someone who has been diagnosed with arthritis in feet, hands, knees and probably other places I haven't yet had x-rayed, I can tell you it is very painful and debilitating. I've had to come off my anti-inflammatories as I'm having surgery next week and it is hard!

It's got to be all about quality of life! I'll be back on the pills as soon as I can .... I was taking glucosamine and fish oil for a long time but as things progress, it simply isn't enough. If I want to do anything except sit down, then painkillers are required and it's the same for the dogs, even though they are very stoic, it would be miserable.

The NSAID medications are very effective at what they do. In most cases they are very well tolerated and a lot of the time when they are prescribed for long term use it is, as others have mentioned, a quality of life issue as to whether they receive the medication. I see a great many more patients benefit from this treatment than suffer from it, side effects get a great deal of noise made but occur infrequently.

Where possible and particularly in an older patient on long term treatment, I try to get a blood sample prior to starting the treatment to get a baseline for liver and kidney function. I recommend repeating this every 6-12 months (depending on the patient) to monitor any changes. I generally always try incorporate joint modification agents (cartrophen / zydex / pentosan injections), weight loss, moderate exercise and joint supplements in either a commerical form like Glyde or JointGuard, or fish oil and glucosamine. Sometimes in dogs that do not tolerate NSAIDs or those that need extra help I will add in a different type of pain relief like Tramal. I sometimes suggest physio, massage and acupuncture. I know that a lot of people use a chiro but I recommend ruling out major medical issues prior to treatment.

In general the NSAIDs should be given with or just after food, and not given if the animal is not eating or drinking well, is vomiting or has diarrhoea. If you have any concerns you should speak to your vet about the medication.

The NSAID medications are very effective at what they do. In most cases they are very well tolerated and a lot of the time when they are prescribed for long term use it is, as others have mentioned, a quality of life issue as to whether they receive the medication. I see a great many more patients benefit from this treatment than suffer from it, side effects get a great deal of noise made but occur infrequently.

Where possible and particularly in an older patient on long term treatment, I try to get a blood sample prior to starting the treatment to get a baseline for liver and kidney function. I recommend repeating this every 6-12 months (depending on the patient) to monitor any changes. I generally always try incorporate joint modification agents (cartrophen / zydex / pentosan injections), weight loss, moderate exercise and joint supplements in either a commerical form like Glyde or JointGuard, or fish oil and glucosamine. Sometimes in dogs that do not tolerate NSAIDs or those that need extra help I will add in a different type of pain relief like Tramal. I sometimes suggest physio, massage and acupuncture. I know that a lot of people use a chiro but I recommend ruling out major medical issues prior to treatment.

In general the NSAIDs should be given with or just after food, and not given if the animal is not eating or drinking well, is vomiting or has diarrhoea. If you have any concerns you should speak to your vet about the medication.

Thanks for this, it helps to know as much as possible about what we give to our furkids, I have their health and comfort formost and wouldnt dream of taking them off pain relief was just interested in finding out as much as possible about how to help them and their arthritis :laugh:

Our elderly Lakeland was on Metacam for about 10 months before he passed away. I was a bit concerned about gastric irritation as he had always seemed to have a sensitive stomach (I'm a nurse so always cautious about the side effects of these meds).

He was so much more comfortable on the Metacam and actually had less stomach problems when taking it! He was able to enjoy life right up until the end and that was very important to us.

Edited by Drumbeat

At 13 and 16 years of age I would be looking at quality of life and minimising pain. If metacam is what will give them the best quality of life then I would be using it, just give with food to minimise effects on the stomach. Or talk to your vet about other options. My old boy Reagan was on cualgesic for a cople of years then another drug I forget the name of (not rimadyl) and it kept him moving another year or so quite comfortably.

I had a Dobe on Metacam for nearly 3 years she had no side effects from it at all. If she didn't take it she couldn't walk, of if she did she shuffled along like an upside down banana. SHe had 3 surgeries from GDV/Bloat, could only eat Eukanuba Fish and Potato or she would have explosive poo's!

Rimadyl didn't have the effect on her that Metacam did.

I also got her regular acupuncture treatments which worked brilliantly - so much so I had to keep her quiet for the next day or she ran around like a pup and then would crash big time. She had a fusing spine, cervical instability in her neck(wobblers) and arthritis in all her other joints. She would of been put down if not for Metacam.

My last oldie was on Metacam for about her last year but I managed to delay using it until nothing else worked. Acupuncture kept her going for her last 4 years but eventually it wasn't enough. I would not hesitate to give it to the 16 year old to keep her comfortable for as long as she has left. With the 13 year old try every second day as the vet suggested but increase in the winter if necessary. When the weather warms up see if they can do without it or not as I do believe there can be long term adverse affects. If a dog is suffering pain without the medication it is more important to stop the pain than it is to prolong their life.