Nutro

piper

This is the ingredients list from Nutro's Lamb and Rice formula, made in the US and which is the original product which was avail here until AQIS pulled the plug.

Will be interesting to see what the ingredients are for the other products.

Lamb, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Potato Protein, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Rice Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Pea Protein, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Choloride, Monocalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate,(source of Vitamin C), Copper Proteinate, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Garlic Flavor, Potassium Iodide, Manganous Oxide,Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridozxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the same, Miranda.

Sags

Do you know what the difference is? Is it something that is not available in Australia?. Seems strange to me that they would manufacture under the name Nutro with different ingredients :thumbsup: If it was exactly the same as that previously imported, I would change back like a shot, but am concerned at what the difference may be :laugh:

Sags

Do you know what the difference is? Is it something that is not available in Australia?. Seems strange to me that they would manufacture under the name Nutro with different ingredients :thumbsup: If it was exactly the same as that previously imported, I would change back like a shot, but am concerned at what the difference may be :laugh:

Well you can see the difference from the posts above listing the ingredients for the US one and the one made in Australia.

Dried beet pulp (filler) made it to # 4 before the chicken fat. This doesn't look very good :) .

Sags

Do you know what the difference is? Is it something that is not available in Australia?. Seems strange to me that they would manufacture under the name Nutro with different ingredients :mad If it was exactly the same as that previously imported, I would change back like a shot, but am concerned at what the difference may be :party:

Nutro is a brand name they can make any variety of products under that name, how is that confusing.

Masterfoods selling point is going to be that the salmon is farmed in Tassie - so it doesn't deplete wildstock, that the lamb is from NSW, they won't be using chicken "byproducts - head and feet" as they are trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible. They will use the inside of the corn, not the husk also apparently. It will be more expensive than Advance, but not quite as much as Hills. They only want limited stores to sell the product as they have nutritional advisors going into each one to give advice to the consumer. Only time will tell I suppose.

They only want limited stores to sell the product as they have nutritional advisors going into each one to give advice to the consumer.

Interesting then that they have made it readily available to major wholesalers who can onsell it to anyone who has an account with them.

The nutritional advisor thing is simply an extension of what Nutro did for years in the states. Many other companies have followed suit to one degree or another.

As far as the differences - the relatively high level of beet pulp as pointed out is one. Salt content in some lines is another. In the inclusion of the "corn protein" in some lines another again.

And I agree, only time will tell.

Sags

Here is the guaranteed analysis from the US product.

The US product lists Rice Bran as #3 and Whole Brown Rice as #4, whereas Dried Beet Pulp is #20.

You will see that the Australian made product has a slightly higher Crude Protein and Fat content and although the Aus. product states Glucosamine and Chondroitin it does not give the %.

There is salt in the US product and although it does not mention the % it is listed in their ingredients as #17.

The US product contained no animal by products either, so that is nothing new.

One of the big selling points with the US product is that it contained no corn, be it protein or otherwise, nor any wheat.

As mentioned previously we fed Nutro for nearly 8 years and were very happy with the results, we are at this stage loath to try the product here.

casowner, you appear to know more about this new product? perhaps you have inside information?

Crude Protein (minimum) 21.00%

Crude Fat (minimum) 12.00%

Crude Fiber (maximum) 5.00%

Moisture (maximum) 10.00%

Linoleic Acid (minimum) 3.50%

Zinc (minimum) 250 mg/kg

Vitamin E (minimum) 150 IU/kg

Ascorbic Acid (minimum)** 35 mg/kg

Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) (minimum)** 0.30%

Glucosamine Hydrochloride (minimum)** 125 mg/kg

Chondroitin Sulfate (minimum)** 100 mg/kg

We own (or I should say - owned, we recently sold it but I am still managing it) a large retail pet store in SA, I have been given all of the info from Masterfoods last week. I will dig it up from my black hole called a desk and give you some information on it if you would like. We have been approached to stock it, and I am undecided as we already have Hill's, Advance, Pro Plan, Royal Canin and Eukanuba, I don't know what the popularity amongst the Community will be. There will be no loyalty programs associated with it as all of the promotion allocations will be used for the nutritional advisors. To reassure any of you that saw the word pet shop, no we do not sell puppies, for many reasons, I believe in giving customers information and assistance. I support the Pet Industry I have been it it for over 20 years and have worked in all areas - grroming, shelter, training etc and have seen the positive and negative of all areas so now concentrate on the people that live or wish to live with their furred, feathered or finned family members. As I said I am happy to pass on any info that I have.

Sags

Do you know what the difference is? Is it something that is not available in Australia?. Seems strange to me that they would manufacture under the name Nutro with different ingredients :( If it was exactly the same as that previously imported, I would change back like a shot, but am concerned at what the difference may be :(

Nutro is a brand name they can make any variety of products under that name, how is that confusing.

OK let me clarify better what I meant. I don't understand why Nutro would allow and why Masterfoods would deviate from the original ingredients used in the previously imported range which already had a pretty well established customer base and therefore risk alienating this established customer base, particularly if the deviation is adverse.

casowner, would be interested in any information which you may be able to post about Nutro. :(

labsrule, agree with you there, cannot fathom why they would deviate from the original "recipe".

If the product is not the same as that imported then it would one would think "stand to reason" that some customers such as ourselves would not be interested in feeding in the future.

Edited by Hesapandabear

Thanks, Sags :eek:

Would be interested to know ingredients in other formulas.

It is a crying shame that the product here is being called Nutro, with the same packaging, as personally I feel that with some of the ingredients being included such as corn/corn protein and wheat that it certainly will not have the reputation that the US product has for exclusion of these which was one of the bigger selling points for Nutro.

Seems really strange to me. It is the same packaging and everything. Has anyone contacted the main branch and asked how this is possible. Lamb and rice is hardly going to be great for sensitive skin if it has grains in it

Many companies change the formulas of their product, even cease certain lines, from time to time, availability and cost of ingredients always plays a part.

It is annoying but it is just the way things are.

True but over here in NZ we still get the original formula in exactly the same bag. I can’t really understand how they can change the formula and yet call them the same thing in the same packaging

Many companies change the formulas of their product, even cease certain lines, from time to time, availability and cost of ingredients always plays a part.

It is annoying but it is just the way things are.

True but over here in NZ we still get the original formula in exactly the same bag. I can’t really understand how they can change the formula and yet call them the same thing in the same packaging

Where are the NZ supplies coming from, US or Aus?