Donating Blood

Yep! I had a vet appointment with a sick dog once. They called me at home before I left and asked if I could bring the other dog as they had a very sick dog that needed a transfusion. So, Ziggy came to the vets with me and donated blood and saved the little dog's life. He's usually a real sook but he didn't squeek once - I was so proud of him. :rofl:

I thought dogs donated on a "as needed" basis.

If you wanted to look into it then contact your local or emergency vet and see what they need. Maybe you could be added as a contact and called if needed - that way they can do any blood type tests etc prior and keep that on record.

I thought there was some dogs which are "universal" doggy donors but I can't remember the breed ... it is getting late and my brain is already asleep :rofl:

It's done with horses as well. I know of an ex-racer who is at the Werribee Clinic living out his days in comfort giving blood when needed. The owner often visits him and is rapt with the attention he gets.

I saw a show once that said dogs don't need to be typed for their first transfusion but do for subsquent ones - so any blood will do the first time around.

I also think there is a minimum weight for the donor dog to be - 25kg+ (I think).

Ok back from donating blood, ate so many chocolates at the end.

The nurse said that sometimes when there going to euthanaise a dog or cat they get them to donate blood first ??? has anyone heard of this happening???

Edited by glendabenda

Ok back from donating blood, ate so many chocolates at the end.

The nurse said that sometimes when there going to euthanaise a dog or cat they get them to donate blood first ??? has anyone heard of this happening???

Pound dogs are sometimes used as blood donors,so yes.

I thought dogs donated on a "as needed" basis.

If you wanted to look into it then contact your local or emergency vet and see what they need. Maybe you could be added as a contact and called if needed - that way they can do any blood type tests etc prior and keep that on record.

I thought there was some dogs which are "universal" doggy donors but I can't remember the breed ... it is getting late and my brain is already asleep :)

I think Greyhounds are used for this

• 2 weeks later...