Adopted Dog =/

Korrupt

My family friend recently needed to give away their dog because the place their living do not allow them (dont ask, i dont know much details)

Well , its a 3.5 Years old (human years) maltese female.

wel i noticed its quite unenthusiastic. is this because its missing its previous owner?

it just lies on te ground with both paws out.

when i pat it or touch it, it does not respond, it dosnt get up when i cal it..

the dog never barks at all and its very trained and it never litters in the house.

so im just wondering is the lazy behavier because its sad or issit cos shes in pain or somthing. =/

-oh yeh 1 more thing i noticed, every once in a while, it would just sorta lick his own lips/mouth. i dunno how to describe it, but it just licks inside his mouth and it sorta looks like his chewing somthing, and it sounds like his licking water.

Edited by Korrupt

I would be taking the dog to the vets for a full check up - My dog acts that way too, but he is lazy :) Saying that, i do know when he is sick.

Better to be safe than sorry, take her to the vets and get a full check over.

What does =/ mean?

To be maintained as a health happy dog, a Maltese needs constant grooming and all dogs need to be taken to the vet for check-up probably twice a year. Once a year, a dog needs to go to the vet for her annual vaccination and even if the dog seems happy and healthy, it doesn't hurt to take her in just to be sure.

Your dog should be microchipped, vaccinated, wormed, registered at the Council and desexed.

Have all these things be done?

I ask because if you need to ask what it costs to go to a vet, it sounds as though none of these things has been done and if you are first time dog owner, maybe you don't know the legislation regarding keeping a dog. Legislation differs from State to State.

I hope you and the little dog become good friends.

Edited by _Cynthia_

Not that it matters but you say it is a female and in the last half of your post you refer to it as a he/his ..

I would be getting a check up and maybe speak to the old owners maybe she/he has always acted like this. It will take most dogs a little while to adjust to a new home.

Take the dog to the vet.

If you've just got him/her it's a good idea to give them a check up.

If there is something wrong, the earlier a vet is involved, the better.

There's no such thing as a "free dog". They cost money to care for. They need regular worming, possibly grooming and veterinary visits.

He/she could be matted, in pain, sick or just depressed. Best you find out now.

If you have taken responsibilty for this dog...

it is up to you to make sure it is healthy.

Any new dog should be taken to a vet for a checkup...advice on flea/worm control, etc...

Oh, and . Cynthia =\ is a despondent face :)

the licking could be pain or anxiety.

The dog needs a vet check.

when i pat it or touch it, it does not respond, it dosnt get up when i cal it..

the dog never barks at all and its very trained and it never litters in the house.

so im just wondering is the lazy behavier because its sad or issit cos shes in pain or somthing. =/

-oh yeh 1 more thing i noticed, every once in a while, it would just sorta lick his own lips/mouth. i dunno how to describe it, but it just licks inside his mouth and it sorta looks like his chewing somthing, and it sounds like his licking water.

sounds like a vet check is in order ASAP. This is in no way a healthy little dog - are you sure its not deaf?

Hopefully dog doesn't exist and it was all a wind up. Alternatively poster came on here hoping someone would take the dog. Or maybe poster has given the dog away having discovered that it costs money to keep a dog.

Sad whatever the story is.

korrupt = jason = GSDmommy = ??????

if so, this person really really needs a life! :laugh:

Hopefully dog doesn't exist and it was all a wind up. Alternatively poster came on here hoping someone would take the dog. Or maybe poster has given the dog away having discovered that it costs money to keep a dog.

Sad whatever the story is.

korrupt = jason = GSDmommy = ??????

if so, this person really really needs a life! :rolleyes:

OMG..... here we go again..... is it really.....mmm I wonder. Unusual user name ?....

Take your dog to the vet, for peace of mind, your dog is now dependent on you to provide it a happy and healthy life, all which sometimes costs money. Don't forget to post some pic's of your new dog. You will get lots of advice here. Good luck.