Looking For Reassurance!

This morning at about 4am I awaoke to a horrible noise (almost like a seal barking). IT was Lucy (2 yr old schnauzer that I've had for 6 weeks). She vomitted something up (coffee colour, no large pieces) and then went back to sleep. She ate her food this morning and wagged her tail etc. She may have been a bit more tired than usual (but not listless, just not into everything like a terriorist normally is!).

Given she had eaten her food and gotten out of bed, I went to work. And now I'm worried about her because I can't keep an eye out for her and won't be back until 6.30pm.

Should I have taken her to the vet (I did with my first, but I was over anxious with every little thing)?

Edited by megan_

What did she eat last night? What time did you leave home this morning?

I probably wouldn't have fed her this morning.

If it was just a once off vomit at 4am it sounds like she should be fine. If she had continued to vomit I would be worried.

Every now and again my pugs will have a vomit to get rid of a bit of bone they can't digest. Years ago when I used to give my boy puggy pigs ears he would vomit afterwards because they are two fatty.

What did she eat last night? What time did you leave home this morning?

I probably wouldn't have fed her this morning.

If it was just a once off vomit at 4am it sounds like she should be fine. If she had continued to vomit I would be worried.

Every now and again my pugs will have a vomit to get rid of a bit of bone they can't digest. Years ago when I used to give my boy puggy pigs ears he would vomit afterwards because they are two fatty.

Raw in the evening (chicken wing), kibble in the morning. The reason I fed her is because my vet has said in the past that giving them something small to eat is a good test to see if something is stuck in their throat.

I left home at 7.30am.

I would not have fed her... but that's done now.

No friend/neighbour who can check her at lunchtime or something???

Hopefully she will be bouncing when you get home :(

I have asked Fergus' dog walker to have a look in on her. Problem is she is a puppy farm rescue and is weary of other people beside me, so she will just run away. They will check for vomit though.

I have asked Fergus' dog walker to have a look in on her. Problem is she is a puppy farm rescue and is weary of other people beside me, so she will just run away. They will check for vomit though.

:(

Good idea for them to check in on her.

If you fed a chicken wing in the evening it could just be her throwing up a piece of it she couldn't digest.

May I please ask what could stop a dog from digesting pieces of bone? Is this a common thing?

Just as in humans dogs will throw up something their body doesn't agree with. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with them it's just the bodys way of getting rid of something it can't deal with.

The pugs will do it once or twice a year so no not a common occurance.

My boy also throws up once in a while. The gagging is scary to hear but as long as he continues to eat and seems happy, I presume it's just the body getting rid of something uncomfortable. I noticed that when he smells vinegary stuff he tends to throw up at night. So I avoid using vinegar to mop the floor.

This morning at about 4am I awaoke to a horrible noise (almost like a seal barking). IT was Lucy (2 yr old schnauzer that I've had for 6 weeks). She vomitted something up (coffee colour, no large pieces) and then went back to sleep. She ate her food this morning and wagged her tail etc. She may have been a bit more tired than usual (but not listless, just not into everything like a terriorist normally is!).

Given she had eaten her food and gotten out of bed, I went to work. And now I'm worried about her because I can't keep an eye out for her and won't be back until 6.30pm.

Should I have taken her to the vet (I did with my first, but I was over anxious with every little thing)?

Did it look like coffee grounds (from a coffee maker)? If so this could be internal bleeding and needs to be checked as soon as poosible.

From experience it can be a lot of things - ours was a bleeding stomach ulcer...

Hi There

Try not to worry too much. Once a yr my dog will throw up to if he eats something disagreeable.

The fact that she ate her breakfast is a good sign. I too have made the mistake of feeding my dog scrambled eggs after an episode of throwing up and diarrhoea (long ago when he was one).

Check her this evening and take her to the vet if you are worried. Or is it possible to sneak home a bit early?

Did it look like coffee grounds (from a coffee maker)? If so this could be internal bleeding and needs to be checked as soon as poosible.

From experience it can be a lot of things - ours was a bleeding stomach ulcer...

Nope - it looked like milky coffee/tea, with a bit of froth

May I please ask what could stop a dog from digesting pieces of bone? Is this a common thing?

My dogs eat bones very quickly, sometimes they swallow a piece that is just too big to be broken down by the acid in the stomach so the piece will be rejected and vomited up. Dogs vomit very easily, as they're scavengers and eat just about anything vomiting is a safety mechanism that enables them to eject any harmful matter before it has time to take effect and make the dog ill.

To the OP, I wouldn't be concerned.

Just wondering if you live in a tick area? ticks are out in full force NOW!! vomiting is one of the signs of tick paralysis.....

Nope - Melbourne Metro. If I lived in a tick area they'd be at the vet every day :)

Just wondering if you live in a tick area? ticks are out in full force NOW!! vomiting is one of the signs of tick paralysis.....

Nope - Melbourne Metro. If I lived in a tick area they'd be at the vet every day :)

I know what you mean! My current dog is my first dog and I was so paranoid some years back I rushed him to the vet for any tiny little thing. The vet said that I am a hypochrondiac mum. :) I have sinced been weaned off the paranoia. :)

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. When I got home she was perky - so happy to see me home, tail wagging etc. The dog walker said he found no vomit When he checked in on her in the morning. So I fed them.... and then discovered that she had vomited some of her breakfast too (in a hard to find place, kibble).

I have rung the emergency vets and they've said just to monitor her as she wasn't listless. Now, at night it is hard to tell if a dog is listless! She normally eats, has a little play and then settles down for the night. She is still getting up to see what Fergus and I are up to, so she must have some energy.

Anyone think I should be taking her to emergency (I don't mind, it is more convenient than the normal vets as I'd have to take the morning off to see them)?

What are the signs of obstruction etc?

And, while I try to never feed them crap, I did give them a pal dentabone thing on Sunday - could that have caused the drama?

Thanks,

Megan

Oh dear. I am not too familiar with signs of bloat/obstruction but she would be pretty sick if that was the case. Did she have the runs today as well? I will probably pick up her poo for the vet to test for any bacteria as well.

Oh dear. I am not too familiar with signs of bloat/obstruction but she would be pretty sick if that was the case. Did she have the runs today as well? I will probably pick up her poo for the vet to test for any bacteria as well.

No runs at the moment - I have two dogs so it is hard to tell what belongs to whom.

The vet said that if it is an obstruction she will continue to vomit and it will be very foamy and she won't do # 2's. So far, so good.

I haven't considered bloat mainly because she is a small breed and has been chirpy. She is sleeping at the moment but that is normal. She checks up on me when I move around the house.

Truth be told, if this was my boy he'd be off to the vets - because he loves them. She is absolutely terrified (she visibly shakes) and she is still being rehabilitated (ex puppy farm breeding stock). I don't want to traumatize the little mite only to have the vet say "keep and eye on her".