Obedience Clips

Thought that I would start a thread where people can post their obedience clips - where if your dog does something you are proud of - no matter what standard - then post it for everybody to see.

It might also be helpful to people starting out - or moving up the levels to see how other people handle their dogs, their hand signals, the interaction with their dog between exercises..... :thumbsup:

You might even be able to offer some helpful advice with people having problems. :cheer:

So here goes......

This is Sexi Lexi in her second open trial at the Western Classic back in March. Lexi is a work in progress and due to soreness issues had minimal training. She is not the most confident dog and as we moved through the exercises I could feel she needed more and more help - hence the very extended finish signals. She ended up failing the final exercise - but I was tickled pink with what she gave me and her little tail never stopped wagging. :cheers:

Sorry - the quality of the clip is not brilliant....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea Ptolomy - here are two of my favourite rounds or parts of rounds of Ness's.

One was her heelwork at the Adelaide Royal last year:

The other was from the first trial for this year:

Edited by ness

Ooh I'm proud of Jedi's left about turns!!!

And his recent achievements in dumbbell work... This is video of him doing everything for the first time. It took 7 months (on and off) for him to hold the dumbbell for more than half a second! It just clicked one night and then within a couple of days he was doing a full formal retrieve... I was about to give up!

I know we still have a lot to work on and he's much better than in the video now, but I'm just proud we finally got there!

EDT - Ness -- I love the enthusiasm in the 2nd video!!! I can see a big difference between the two! She really looks like she's loving being out there in the 2nd vid! :thumbsup:

Edited by TerraNik

Terranik - you have done a terrific job so many people have poor left about turns - with the dog having no rear end awareness. I start training mine in slow motion and clicking for rear end movement.

I have to ask what treats were you using in the dumbbell clip - your dog chewed every piece several times and I love the look on his face when you gave him a jackpot and kept presenting another piece of food before he had finished the last one. :thumbsup:

Would love to see where you are at in 4 weeks time - keep up the good work.

Terranik - you have done a terrific job so many people have poor left about turns - with the dog having no rear end awareness. I start training mine in slow motion and clicking for rear end movement.

I have to ask what treats were you using in the dumbbell clip - your dog chewed every piece several times and I love the look on his face when you gave him a jackpot and kept presenting another piece of food before he had finished the last one. :thumbsup:

Would love to see where you are at in 4 weeks time - keep up the good work.

Thanks Ptolomy... I did a LOT of back end awareness with him, mostly doing the elephant trick and learning to reverse.

I think I was using dried liver.. Jedi makes sure that every piece is chewed 50 times before he swallows... :cheers: For heelwork I make sure I use soft treats - he has issues chewing and moving at the same time!! Poor boy is a little uncoordinated!!!! :cheer:

Wow Ptolomy Lexi is great!

Love all the videos guys, keep them coming :thumbsup: I don't have anything particularly worthwhile to add yet but might share something as Daisy's drive training progresses :cheers:

Love all the videos guys, keep them coming :cheers: I don't have anything particularly worthwhile to add yet but might share something as Daisy's drive training progresses :cheer:

make sure you do post something Huski ..... its great to watch other people working with their kids.

Lexi is my little pocket rocket :thumbsup:

Love all the videos guys, keep them coming :cheer: I don't have anything particularly worthwhile to add yet but might share something as Daisy's drive training progresses :)

make sure you do post something Huski ..... its great to watch other people working with their kids.

Lexi is my little pocket rocket :thumbsup:

I loved watching her in your clip! A pocket rocket indeed :laugh:

You might be waiting a while until I film something that I'm not incredibly embarrassed about :cheers:

I will see what I can do over the weekend in getting some video of my pocket rocket :thumbsup: .

Interesting TerraNik. I changed something I did before I took her into the ring as an experiment and she came out with Scoota batteries :cheers: .

Edited by ness

Yeah not sure it will work a second time might have to try something different next time :rofl: .

PS. Ptolomy can I have the Scoota batteries express posted so they arrive in time for Sat weeks trial pretty please.

The things I learnt out of this clip are work is obviously needed on her finish, and also that she turns to pick up the dumbell in the opposite direction to Oscar, which I will have to allow for in my throw, inorder to make her return appear more direct.

Thanks to those who posted clips....I was just online trying to find out some info on obedience and saw this post.

Fantastic work guys :laugh:

Can anyone give me an idea on the length of time they spent on the CCD training.

I have seen the exercises laid out to complete and realise it will vary from dog to dog, but for most, did you find you spent 4,5 or 6 mths leading up the trials or did you find it took longer?

:o

I guess it depends on where you want to count your starting point, memyselfNi... Jedi just turned one and I've been working towards his CCD/CD title since he was 8 weeks old... So... 8 months so far! :laugh: He's not there yet though! I guess it also depends at what point you want to start trialling. I am in no rush to put Jedi into the ring - that'll only happen when I'm totally comfortable that he'll be able to pull it off and score really well. In saying that, I could probably put him into CCD now and he might pass, but I want him to do well and be much more reliable. I guess it's a personal choice.

You've got the right idea, "perfecting the work before submitting" so to speak, all the best, when the time comes I'm sure your efforts will pay off. :laugh:

I had read that obedience is aged from 6mths and really couldn't see myself being ready before 12mths of age at the earliest, and was wondering if I was spending unnecessary time.

Thanks Terranik, I don't feel so bad expecting my little 'monster' to sit and stay at such a young age now having seen you also started from an early age.

I guess it depends on where you want to count your starting point, memyselfNi... Jedi just turned one and I've been working towards his CCD/CD title since he was 8 weeks old... So... 8 months so far! :laugh: He's not there yet though! I guess it also depends at what point you want to start trialling. I am in no rush to put Jedi into the ring - that'll only happen when I'm totally comfortable that he'll be able to pull it off and score really well. In saying that, I could probably put him into CCD now and he might pass, but I want him to do well and be much more reliable. I guess it's a personal choice.

Well said Nik, it is more about the pace you are comfortable go and the dog you are working with. Some dogs will take longer than others.

I could have kept going at obedience school with Daisy, but I could tell she was not getting the 'oomph' I was after which is why I started drive training. I knew I wanted to trial with her eventually but I was constantly battling with her urge to scent. She's two years old now and if I can get everything right, I might be closer to trialling by the end of the year - but like Nik, I'll take it at 'our' pace and only trial when I know she will be the best dog she can be.

ETA: I would try and not think of it as a time frame or deadline, go for it when you are both ready and comfortable :o

Edited by huski

I agree, Huski. In saying that, I have set myself a goal - to start trialling by the end of the year or at least do a mock trial so I can see how we're going.

Thanks Terranik, I don't feel so bad expecting my little 'monster' to sit and stay at such a young age now having seen you also started from an early age.

It can be difficult when they're young, but if you make it fun for them and do lots of little short bursts of training every day they will pick it up quickly. This was Jedi at 10 weeks old (2 weeks into his training):

EDT - xena - great video! Congrats on the 1st place!! :laugh:

Edited by TerraNik

I agree, Huski. In saying that, I have set myself a goal - to start trialling by the end of the year or at least do a mock trial so I can see how we're going.

I think goals are good :laugh: Especially once you get to the point you are at with Jedi where he is working really well. As I said I am hoping to have Daisy closer to our goal by the end of the year too. In the early stages though I think it is important to work at the pace of your dog and see how you go. I used to get so frustrated at obedience club when I would see people enter our class, and graduate to the next level, while Daisy and I were still slugging away. Then I realised that I couldn't compare her to the other dogs and I feel much more relaxed just working at our own pace.

That's just my (totally amateur) opinion though :o