Obedience Clips

Thanks RS... Ruby will pick it up - dogs have back legs and they know how to use them (I'm sure you've seen Ruby reverse out of a tight corner or something at some point!) - it's just that you need to make them more aware of them and how and when to use them!! Lots of reverse, lots of reverse in heel (along a wall helps), lots of elephant tricks/pedestal tricks... I practice left about turns with the dog's front legs on the pedestal (phone books!), then I fade the books and then I integrate the turns into heeling. That's just what I did and it worked?! Good luck! You should post a video of her progress!!! :)

I'll try get a video soon. We worked on it last night on an upturned cake tin and she's finally getting it :rofl:

Yet to transition it properly on the ground... we'll get there!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COP v Broadjump - well that decision is easy COP otherwise Ptolomy will never talk to me again and will get out her big stick and beat me up :) .

Edited by ness

For Novice.....probably COP as Zig thinks this whole exercise is a hoot :) I have to be very, very careful with body language as he can predict my command extremely accurately! He's finally caught on to retrieving after 3 months of clicker training so I don't want to push that too far too soon.

For Open.....would have to be COP, otherwise Ptolomy will hit me over the head from afar :rofl: I would probably teach broad jump anyway, just for something different....similarly Zig's traditional finish is neater than his flip and I would use the former in a trial at this stage but I train both for variety.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Judges down here think the same way. Watch for the look of disbelief if you pull out a dumbell in novice lol.

I'm the same though, COP for novice, and DC for Open. I did have a big problem teaching DC to Oscar, and we bombed 3 Open trials in a row because of it.

Seems to have it soughted now though. Blew some very high scores last year, and in his last trial he got over it, and sitting on a 196 when he chose to adjust his bum during the stays for the first time ever! :)

Edited by dogdude

So what are people least favourite exercise and why........

Mine - would have to be the sit stay :) - it would have to be the longest 1 and 3 minutes in your entire life and I don't believe the dog should be penalised because it stayed where it was, but dropped. I have also had a few ugly moments in sit stays where dogs have been allowed to stand over mine and its taken forever to fix the problem. :rofl:

COP here too for Novice... if I can get Ruby to not creep forward when she drops!

Try releasing to a food target placed behind her. Dogs tend to gravitate toward the enforcement. You can also couple this with placing her at the edged of a stair or something.

Use your command with sense of urgency to try to get speed into it.

Dogs will normally choose the quickest and shortest route to achieve a reward. A crouch or foldback is quicker for them. Mark movement earlier and earlier to quicken it too.

I like Balabanovs method of facing the dog while holding reward, then give the command while bending and lowering the reward/prey item to the ground quickly. Speed is made the essence of the game.

Edited by dogdude

Mine would be the drop stay Ptolomy - wonder WHY :rofl: . Apparently Ness totally disagrees with what your saying and finds it much better to stay sitting then dropping for any great length of time.

So if they shouldn't be penalised for staying when they dropped does that mean the reverse can be true too :) .

Edited by ness

Mine would have to be the heeling, for the simple reason of nerves, knowing that this exercise will usually show whether or not your dog is going to be switched on or not, also one of the exercises with the most opportunities to lose points on.

First, second and third place are usually soughted out after that exercise.

Thanks dogdue :) We're working on the foldback drop which works better when I stand closer to her (as she hasn't the need to come forward) so we're gradually trying to incread the distance. It's a pain in heelwork too, she takes that extra step after the command and drops, so I'm having to go back to guiding her into the drop like she doesn't know the meaning of it so she has to fold back. I hope she doesn't find it demeaning me taking her back a step :rofl:

Re the stays - I believe they should be allowed to take on whatever position is most comfortable, as long as they stay! And this whole down stay thing where if they roll onto the other hip and in the process show "daylight" underneath their body then its a fail/points off is rubbish! :hitself:

My most hated exercise depends which dog I'm trialling. With my old girl (Border Collie) I hated the drop stay, apparently it was more fun to sit and watch everything that was going on.

With my Golden I hate the heeling. He has never been a great one for heeling and is going through a bad patch atm.

Most hated exercise... Probably heeling, though I'm learning to love it now that he's actually paying attention these days! I'm sure one of the more advanced exercises like scent work will drive me insane if we ever get there! :)