Obedience Clips

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have a least favourite exercise.....in the past it would have been heeling but I think my handling is much better now and Zig's mad Dally enthusiasm is pretty fun to work with :) My very favourite exercise would have to be the recall as Ziggy is just busting out of his skin waiting for the commands and, when called, leans backwards to give himself extra propulsion and then bolts into position....completely cracks me up :rofl: He always looks less than impressed if the judge doesn't give him much room to build up speed either, so leans back even further!

I thought I would do a new video of Jedi's dumbbell retrieve today... I just uploaded it...

Comments/Criticisms welcome!! I know that I need to work on a straight present and the pace of his finish (and my awful, awful throws!)... But anything else?

Sorry I have been off watching the rest of your video (the heelwork and recall one) and while the dog does it it seems to be that both of you are lacking animation and seem to be just going through the motions, the same could be said for the retrieve one to. I wouldn't be in a great rush to make the exercises to formal yet. I would play some 2 toy or 2 food game with the DB so the dog is driving out and driving back hard. If you want to work on fronts do those separately. Give the dog the DB and ask the dog to present. I would make the dog think that heeling is the best thing on the planet by having the dog chase you, throw toys (or food if your dog isn't toy motivated). I have nothing recent but my young one is about the same age as yours and naughty me has been in a mad rush to make things formal when if you get them enjoying themselves is no big deal. If you want attitude that will sustain for the length of the time in the ring without rewards you need to be as appealing and as exciting as you can be.

ETA. I was off hoping to find a clip of mine but my main focus with the youngster has been foundation agility stuff all my obedience is a bit older and I have conveniently edited it to remove the playing in between :) .

I do however have some video of the 2 toy/2 food game:

Edited by ness

I don't have any recent obedience stuff, may try to get some videod this long weekend. I have been having some success with not having the rewards on me and sending the dog to the reward instead :) I have also been trying rewarding with releasing to reward between my legs for the recall as suggested by dogdude. Took a while for him to get the idea, he kept trying to go around me to get the reward :hitself: but he will do it now :rofl:

Will see if I can get some footage, need OH to help though.

Cheers, thanks Ness... I've been working really hard on his motivation - he used to slowly walk up to the dumbbell and slowly walk back to me like he was on a Sunday stroll!! So I guess I am just happy that he's semi-running!!!! Thank you for pointing out that the enthusiasm levels need to be way higher! It's hard when I've never trained a dog for competitive obedience before. Lots more games for us! :)

Thanks for the video of the 2 food/toy game... I'll give it a go!

Edited by TerraNik

Not just the dogs enthusiasm - I would probably smarten up your pace with the heelwork too. But yes I wouldn't be worrying about getting it formal just yet - plenty of time for that.

Edited by ness

No problems - I have been around a while and picked up a lot of useful information from associating with the likes of Ptolomy and others :eek: . I also will say that while I have BCs I do have 2 very different dogs. My older girl doesn't have much play drive and does require more motivating so I know where you are coming from. I was very careful not to formalize anything to soon with my younger one as a consequence. She knows less formal exercises than my older one did at the same age but I know its been a battle to keep the motivation and enthusiasm in the ring so I make sure that remains a number 1 priority for my training sessions. Teach the exercises will come and life is to short, training is suppose to be fun and if the dog isn't enjoying the training then they won't enjoy trialling.

I have the opposite problem at the moment in relation to motivation, I could use a little less so somebody would apply their brain into gear a bit better. Just did a 2x2 weaving session with her and it was a bit of a disaster as she was to wound up and thought she should share her opinion with me while we were attempting the exercise :) . My mum wasn't to impressed as Kenzie was barking at me instead of working and I was obviously withholding the reward until I got what I wanted. Might save training until tonight when we are at club and I can wait out the barking until she gives me what I want.

Edited by ness

It was drummed into us at my obedience club to not stand with your feet close together when doing a recall. Have them slightly apart so if the dog comes in a little off centre it's not so obvious.

Another thing I noticed a few ppl doing was looking down while heeling. We were taught to keep our heads up & look ahead.

Great videos everyone. I hope to get there one day.

I think he has a good foundation of the exercise! Just some drive building required now.

Try releasing to a food/item target behind you, soon after he turns around from a short to medium distances. Release to the target sooner and sooner, and run to it with him.

This should also get him driving.

Also, be wary of rewarding across your body. Can promote crooked sits.

You look to be doing a great job with him!

Edited by dogdude

:) TerraNik she is a psycho. Sometimes I think she needs a good run and then come home and attempt a session just so her brain is in gear. Obviously we are still working on the "give" :eek: .

She is certainly miss opinionated when it comes to training - I have to laugh her breeder described her litter as the "quiet" less vocal litter. Well either the extra week she stayed and hung around the noisier ones was enough or I would hate to see what the "noisier, more vocal" litter are like now :cry: .

Edited by ness

:eek: TerraNik she is a psycho. Sometimes I think she needs a good run and then come home and attempt a session just so her brain is in gear. Obviously we are still working on the "give" :cry: .

She is certainly miss opinionated when it comes to training - I have to laugh her breeder described her litter as the "quiet" less vocal litter. Well either the extra week she stayed and hung around the noisier ones was enough or I would hate to see what the "noisier, more vocal" litter are like now :rofl: .

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I guess you'll just need to try and harness Cyclone Kenzie! :)

Ness - I just had a go at the 2 food game with Jedi and geez he had a great time!!!!! :) He was so excited and pumped after about 5 pairs of throws that I decided to throw in a bit of heel (5 steps or so) and wow... He was having so much fun!! By the end of it he was galloping back and forth after the treats and then back to heel! He looked sad when I told him we were finished!! "but... but... but.... aren't you going to throw some more for me...?" I think we'll be playing this game regularly!! Now I just need to try it out on my little energizer bunny! Check out her recalls at the end of this video --

She needs a brake upgrade!