Obedience Clips

I'm unable to watch all the vids at the moment being at work, so looking forward to watching them when I'm home!

I'm also looking forward to trying and filming something small this weekend from my girls to add here!

This is about the only video I could think of worth posting here for the time being. It's of Ruby the same session she finally "got" scent discrimination! (so therefore the session went for far too long in hindsight!) So it's far from perfect, but thought I'd share cos I was mighty proud of her that day as we'd been working on it for weeks and the light bulb finally went off!! :)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing how long it took Ruby to finally work out the scent game - you should be mighty proud of this clip Katie. :laugh:

Its about time you updated it though and videod her doing scent now so we can see if she has improved or not.

Knowing how long it took Ruby to finally work out the scent game - you should be mighty proud of this clip Katie. :laugh:

Its about time you updated it though and videod her doing scent now so we can see if she has improved or not.

I would, except I haven't done a whole lot of scent with her lately :provoke: I'll do more over the weekend and perhaps film some then if I feel she's doing any better :thumbsup: My weekend assignment is to film some little things so I can look back on them to see how she is progressing, and of course for them to be open to constructive criticism to make my training better hopefully :hug:

I think you can either do Community Companion Dog (CCD) or Novice (which gains you CD - Companion Dog). CCD is the lowest but I don't think you have to do it?

Some of the experienced triallers won't do it but I think all beginners would, I know I will.

I am hoping to start trialling later this year but at the moment probably won't do CCD and will go straight to novice since most of my training is done off-lead (mainly cos I am to lazy to get a lead out and I find it weird having to juggle a lead as well :thumbsup: ).

I am hoping to start trialling later this year but at the moment probably won't do CCD and will go straight to novice since most of my training is done off-lead (mainly cos I am to lazy to get a lead out and I find it weird having to juggle a lead as well :thumbsup: ).

Ah, I'm not the only one!! :cool: I'm considering going straight into novice for that very reason!! We'll see... :eek:

I did CCD with both dogs, because I am too much of a nervous handler to go straight to novice

Its a good build up for the handler, and good for the dogs to get used to your nerves in there and get used to funny little things you will find yourself doing in there (like me when I tripped over Mollys lead in fig 8)

Interesting I am over the getting nervous stage with Ness but because her reactions are predictable to me when I trial now. I was nervous with Kenzie in the mock trial as I had no idea how she would react and she has a few issues with people so I was a bit concerned but she was better then I thought.

Its interesting - I did CCD with my last dog - used it to see what needed work and what would fall to bits.

I did 2 legs of CCD with Beans and I couldn't get the third leg for her title - so I went onto novice :)

I did CCD with both dogs, because I am too much of a nervous handler to go straight to novice

Its a good build up for the handler, and good for the dogs to get used to your nerves in there and get used to funny little things you will find yourself doing in there (like me when I tripped over Mollys lead in fig 8)

Can I ask a silly obedience newb question?

If you do something like trip over (very likely if you are as un-co as me) does that d/q you? Do you lose points? I can just imagine if I ever get Daisy to trialling stage that is exactly something I would do :) :)

Its interesting - I did CCD with my last dog - used it to see what needed work and what would fall to bits.

I did 2 legs of CCD with Beans and I couldn't get the third leg for her title - so I went onto novice :cry:

That is very interesting! :laugh:

We've got our last leg to go... is the last the hardest to get? :cry:

Can I ask a silly obedience newb question?

If you do something like trip over (very likely if you are as un-co as me) does that d/q you? Do you lose points? I can just imagine if I ever get Daisy to trialling stage that is exactly something I would do :cry::laugh:

Do you mean trip over as in @ss over tit? They might give you extra points for entertainment :cry:

Sorry, don't have a proper answer for you :cry:

Good luck, RS!

I never considered entering CCD once or twice and then going up to novice if you felt you'd do better... Certainly an idea! I don't tend to get nervous for stuff - even my first time in the show ring, I'm so blasé about everything!! :laugh:

OK, as requested by Ptolomy, an updated Scent Discrimination video :cry:

We are still working leather separate to wood and metal because we haven't been doing leather as long... but will try the whole set next time I get them out! :laugh:

Question - do you get penalised for the dog taking a while to find the article even if they don't pick anything up until the right one? You'll see in the second round (wood), she sniffs them all but keeps missing the right one, then fiiiiinally sniffs the right one and bingo! She knows she's found it :cry:

Hmm, I wish I could see some of these vids on my crappy net service.

I dont do ccd anymore, because when I trialled my first dog (a B.T) only lost one point, and could of taken out a High in Trial had I entered Novice (was Encouragment class in those days) Gave up on it after that trial and got my first H.I.T the following one.