Obedience Clips

Ha! I hadn't even considered which way Ahsoka or Jedi turn to retrieve the dumbbell... I'm just chuffed they go and get it!!! :laugh: Time to start paying more attention and finessing it now!!

Which way they turn when they pick up the dumbbell has a big bearing when you add a solid jump into the equation.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! I hadn't even considered which way Ahsoka or Jedi turn to retrieve the dumbbell... I'm just chuffed they go and get it!!! :o Time to start paying more attention and finessing it now!!

Which way they turn when they pick up the dumbbell has a big bearing when you add a solid jump into the equation.

More info please!! :laugh:

I begin training the moment the pup walks into the house - so basically at 8 weeks of age

With my first dog I trained for novice and then once she got her title I then trained her for open and then finally UD. Lucky for me Lara had been here in a past life and to teach her the dumbbell I threw it told her to fetch, which she did and it was easy as that. :laugh: If only all dog training was that easy.

Then I got my first toller and it was all downhill from there :o

Now I start teaching the basics of each of the exercises at an early age. The dog learns to sit in a hoop or a box as a baby, they learn to pick things up, to find something that smells of me - all of which are the basics of open and UD training. I find stays with my breed the hardest to teach - and generally I would struggle to have a toller ready for novice before they were 16 -18 months of age. I have found they mature and become more confident after 4 years of age - so there really isn't any rush.

Somebody once said to me in 9 trials you can have your UD - so why rush. HMm if only Beans could read this.... :p

I love your left about turns TerraNik, awesome :laugh: I've started working on Ruby's backend awareness to perfect her left about turns, they're a shocker :shrug: Wish I had known how to train that earlier, or that I had to train it at all! :(

I've got nothing to add at this point in time, at least nothing I am proud to share. I would like to get Millie filmed, her downs can be really speedy :o Unlike Ruby who takes her sweet time and takes another step forward before deciding to drop... so I'm trying to retrain that too so she folds backs :p

Great clips everyone! Can't wait to watch more! :)

Hi, it's been good watching everybody else's video clip. Thought I would put one on my little coolie Gabby from the Royal Show last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCmHMK2aCGg

Thats was a tough assignment and a great achievement for Gabby. The area she competed in had been used by the show dogs for the previous few days and there were lots of food and dog droppings all over the place. Sideshow alley was just outside the door and you had the crowd just outside the ring. A great round by a baby dog. Well done.

Ha! I hadn't even considered which way Ahsoka or Jedi turn to retrieve the dumbbell... I'm just chuffed they go and get it!!! :o Time to start paying more attention and finessing it now!!

More info please!! :laugh:

Because if you throw to the left and the dog turns to the left then it is more likely to run around the solid jump and vice versa.

PS - where were you last night! Not at training.......

LOL Ptolomy, all this talk of novice, open and UD :laugh: I dream about just entering a CCD trial :o

I love watching open and UD videos!! The dogs are just amazing!

Edited by huski

:laugh: Yes I was, just with Millie though on the top oval as we had our Intermediate test.

Proud to report my choccy baby came 1st with 100/100 :o

Pssst... I think the examiner was very leanient with marking for Intermediate :p There were many SWF's going for each other nearby and she kept looking away from me and to them and she's usually all eyes, especially when I have food in my hand which we were allowed to use!

Edited by RubyStar

:o Yes I was, just with Millie though on the top oval as we had our Intermediate test.

Proud to report my choccy baby came 1st with 100/100 :p

Pssst... I think the examiner was very leanient with marking for Intermediate :shrug: There were many SWF's going for each other nearby and she kept looking away from me and to them and she's usually all eyes, especially when I have food in my hand which we were allowed to use!

Woo Hoo - have you posted this in the Brad 2009 thread? Well done :laugh:

Because if you throw to the left and the dog turns to the left then it is more likely to run around the solid jump and vice versa.

I'm going to have to pick your brain on any new exercises I teach from now on... that's where I go wrong, watch someone else, give it a try and then I am wrong! And have to retrain it all over again :laugh: I want to start teaching the retrieve over solid jump soon, too.

The things I learnt out of this clip are work is obviously needed on her finish, and also that she turns to pick up the dumbell in the opposite direction to Oscar, which I will have to allow for in my throw, inorder to make her return appear more direct.

Nice retrieve dogdude.

Do people prefer wooden or plastic dumbbells and why?

This is Baby Beans in open at last years State Champs. If Lexi is a work in progress - Beans is definitely a trilogy or something similar to Ward and Peace :laugh: She has improved a lot in the last 6 months and its a BIG call but she is now my best heeling dog (shhh don't tell Scoota) :o

We are having a few focus issues as the round progresses, but we had a lesson with the guru tonight and we have lots to work on. Beans is my little allergy girl that I was told should be pts. :p To look at her now you wouldn't pick there was anything wrong with her - but its taken a lot of careful management to get her to where she is today. :shrug:

Ha! I hadn't even considered which way Ahsoka or Jedi turn to retrieve the dumbbell... I'm just chuffed they go and get it!!! :p Time to start paying more attention and finessing it now!!

Oooh... Right. Anyone able to give me some more info on what I should be doing or point me in the right direction to find some information on that?!

I love your left about turns TerraNik, awesome :laugh: I've started working on Ruby's backend awareness to perfect her left about turns, they're a shocker :shrug: Wish I had known how to train that earlier, or that I had to train it at all! :(

Thanks RS... Ruby will pick it up - dogs have back legs and they know how to use them (I'm sure you've seen Ruby reverse out of a tight corner or something at some point!) - it's just that you need to make them more aware of them and how and when to use them!! Lots of reverse, lots of reverse in heel (along a wall helps), lots of elephant tricks/pedestal tricks... I practice left about turns with the dog's front legs on the pedestal (phone books!), then I fade the books and then I integrate the turns into heeling. That's just what I did and it worked?! Good luck! You should post a video of her progress!!! :o

Great video of Beans!!

Edited by TerraNik

The things I learnt out of this clip are work is obviously needed on her finish, and also that she turns to pick up the dumbell in the opposite direction to Oscar, which I will have to allow for in my throw, inorder to make her return appear more direct.

Nice retrieve dogdude.

I let the dogs choose, but I prefer wooden dumbells as I tend to zap my dogs with static electricity with the plastic ones. The other reason is that I can get a wooden d/b to fit my dogs mouth better as they can be made to order with different size bits/ends ect. I was helping someone who owned a chi x who couldn't see with the plastic ones but when she got one made just for her, Bingo she was much happier

Also on this subject how many people teach their dogs to return over the solid jump no matter where the dumbell lands?

I let the dog decide re: dumbbells too. Jedi wouldn't take the plastic one into his mouth so I had to get a wood one... But now he knows what he's supposed to do he doesn't care whether it's wood or plastic. Ahsoka's not fussy! She even tried to pick up Zero's (Shell's husky) dumbbell which is WAY too big for her! Poor thing could hardly carry it but she wasn't going to let that stop her! :laugh: Personally, I like the wood ones. Aesthetically pleasing. :o

Edited by TerraNik

Nice retrieve dogdude.

Also on this subject how many people teach their dogs to return over the solid jump no matter where the dumbell lands?

I do - and if the dog ever looks like going around the jump - I will step in and help guide it back over the jump whether this be at training or in a trial. I can now almost guarantee that whereever my dumbbell lands my oldest three will come back over the jump. Lexi is still a work in prgress and has done very limit retrieving over a jump.

I also tend to stand much further back from the jump than most when I throw the dumbbell - as I like to give my kids plenty of room before they have to take off, and enough room to align themselves for a straight present.

I used a wooden dumbbell for my first dog and have now gone to plastic. No idea why though...... :laugh:

Edited by Ptolomy

Nice retrieve dogdude.

I prefer a wooden one but thats only because I seem to be able to throw them better. However saying that both my dogs only really like the wooden ones.