My Dog Just Attacked Another Dog

One of my gsd's who's almost 6 years just attacked another dog that was walking past our house

We had been out the front as we front onto a reserve and our back yard is too steep doing some agility training and had just packed it away and was just locking the garage door when a young girl walked by with a small poodle and she took off after it and grabbed it around the neck sort of shaking it.There was no blood or any visible signs of injury and the dog appeared fine after luckilyThe mother who was also walking behind her daughter and the dog were very nice about the whole situation

We have done obedience training and have just about completed 12 weeks of agility and she has never shown any signs of aggression before.She has snapped at a few dogs while out on walks on lead before though.

I am really concerned now about continuing her agility training after this has happened.How should I handle this now.I just brought her in and put her in the crate at the moment as I'm really upset with her

Thoughts?????

Edited by 4 Paws

I'm no dog trainer but this sounds like territorial aggression. According to our shire nearly all dog attacks occur outside peoples' houses where the resident dog is loose and has a go at a strange dog passing by. I wouldn't have any of my dogs loose at the front of the house when another dog was walking past, they're normally fine in off leash situations, but another dog coming into their territory might be a different matter.

Dogs loose in the front yard are a major issue in my area. You cannot have your dog loose in your front yard if you don't have a high fence and gates, eg if it is not secure.

If your front yard is insecure, your dog is free to attack another dog (for whatever reason), a cat or bail people up.

All against the law in NSW and can attract big fines.

I'm very sorry for the poodle and the poodle's owner, what a horrific fright for all.

I had to report the owners of two large dogs (GSD and Labrador) who have been loose in their front yard and chased me and my dogs on several occasions, the people have nothing to answer to my requests to control their dogs except the "f" word. If I had been walking across the road, their dogs would have just run over to come and see us. My dogs are all about 5 kilos.

The Council took my complaint seriously but I no longer walk down that road.

It sounds like the dog may have been aroused and stimulated too from all the activity, and could have become over-excited, along with territorial issues already mentioned.

All I can think to do is make your front fence so that your dog cannot jump it, otherwise keep her away from the front yard and try and set up the agility course elsewhere or perhaps join a club where you can practice.

Thanks for your thoughts

Umfortunately there is no where in the back yard to set up as it's on a hill and the front yard is not fenced and is a rental so no possibitlity of that happeneing

I had her on lead but had just dropped the lead to pull the garage door down when the dog appeared from no where and she spotted it and took off down the driveway.It certainly scared us all.I don't think she was barking or growling at all,just swooped and grabbed it I think.

I'm just really hesitant about going to agility now but as some have said it may have been more territorial aggression so may not happen outside the home area

And from the attack you describe, it was a miracle that this little dog survived - to get any other dog by the throat is extremely aggressive with intent to kill.

I hope it doesn't have a haemorrhage or other delayed reaction.

To be honest I don't think it's a miracle. Dogs have an amazing control of their jaws. If the dog wanted to cause more damage she would have.

As for giving up agility... I would say it's too early to say as it definitely seemed more like a territorial issue.

And from the attack you describe, it was a miracle that this little dog survived - to get any other dog by the throat is extremely aggressive with intent to kill.

I hope it doesn't have a haemorrhage or other delayed reaction.

To be honest I don't think it's a miracle. Dogs have an amazing control of their jaws. If the dog wanted to cause more damage she would have.

As for giving up agility... I would say it's too early to say as it definitely seemed more like a territorial issue.

Thansk for your post laffi,I was just starting to settle down than read the previous post and started freaking out again

she is quite soft mouthed normally so I guess it probably looked worse than it was

I agree its most likely a territorial matter.

I see some over reactions here.If the dog was intent on doing some serious harm, the outcome would have been far far different.

It makes me cringe at times some of the misinterpretations of dog behaviour I read.To grab by the throat do's not mean intent to kill.Every situation has to be taken as an individual and all variables and factors accounted.

Dogs at times may grab another by the throat and pin to the ground.Even older dogs may at times scruff a pup in the same manner.Are these situations, an intent to kill? No of course not. Tony

I don't see any over reactions. DOLers get slammed on here all the time (usually in general) for incidents like this. It concerns me that although there was no visible injury, there may have been bruising etc- did you tell them they needed to take the dog to the vet to be checked. Having seen a few fights/ attacks- i know from experience that just because an injury is not visible doesn't mean its not there.

I too would consider having the dog assessed as there may be other issues at play. Talk to the agility instructors next time you go and ask them what they think about safely training the dog in agility around other dogs. Safety first but i don't see any reason why you couldn't continue doing agility in a safe and controlled environment

Despite the knowledgeable tones being used to express opinions here, no poster can tell for sure what motivated your dog to attack. We didn't see it and few, if any of us are behavioural experts (stand fast Cosmolo). You need to see one ASAP.

Dogs frequently kill prey without visible signs of injury. To pick up an animal and shake it may be predatory behaviour. A good shake will rupture organs and break the spine. Small dogs are sometimes killed by such behaviour. I sincerely hope that the poodle isn't seriously hurt. No bite marks doesn't automatically equal a mild incident. You need to shrug off any assumption that your dog did not really mean to harm the poodle.

Many poodle and GSD people will tell you that the two breeds may not mix well. GSDs don't 'read' poodles well. That prancing upright gait, raised tail and upright body carriage that are normal for a poodle spell dominance to a GSD. I have had three aggression incidents between GSDs and my poodles.

Am I trying to scare the shit out of you? No, not really but personally I'd be steeling myself for a visit from the rangers. If taken as far as I would have taken that incident as the owner of the attacked dog, you'd now be looking down the barrel of a dangerous dog declaration.

Agility is a highly arousing sport that has a lot of little dogs participating. I think your caution about returning to training is justified. I'd be seeing a behavioural expert before returning.

Sort out your yard. I doubt you'll get another chance like this incident seems to have given you to get your house in order. Your dog needs to be onlead or in a run if she cannot be secured behind fences. Secure her before putting gear away and exercise caution when you are training in a public place.

Figuring out why your dog attacked doesn't change the fact that your dog now has form for dog aggression.. heed the warning. You may not be so lucky if there is another incident.

Edited by poodlefan

... she has never shown any signs of aggression before.
She has snapped at a few dogs while out on walks on lead before though.

As has been mentioned, no-one here can really tell you the whats, whys, wherefores of your dog's behaviour nor estimate the severity/inappropriateness of it. Nor whether it is ok or not for you to continue with your agility activities with her.

However, the above two selections of what you have written bothers me and I can't help but wonder if aggression has been there all this while .... with a possible escalation in these more recent times.

I'm no dog trainer but this sounds like territorial aggression. According to our shire nearly all dog attacks occur outside peoples' houses where the resident dog is loose and has a go at a strange dog passing by. I wouldn't have any of my dogs loose at the front of the house when another dog was walking past, they're normally fine in off leash situations, but another dog coming into their territory might be a different matter.

No trainer here either, but this sounds believable to me. My "everyone's my best friend" Labrador is so friendly when out meeting new people, however, the times we've been out the front of my house and someone has passed our house or the neighbour came out into their front yard, she barks at them like they are a threat to our property. I was shocked at first til I realised this is probably what she was doing, defending her property from strangers she doesn't know.

Edited by RubyStar

Being picked up and shaken is exactly how a friend nearly lost her toy poodle many years ago. She had severe muscle damage for the rest of her life around her neck.

I can see what you mean about the poodle body language poodlefan, the same friend now has 2 toy poodles, and my girl was a bit funny with them to start off with. She does seem to find them hard to read (and even moreso with the standards as they're her size and their whole posture does look very dominant), but now that they tend to mostly ignore her, she kinda does the same to them after the initial greeting.

I know some dogs just lock onto an idea and they're off but maybe more obedience rather than or as well as agility?

If he could follow through on the Stay command, then I imagine it would have been very different?

Best of luck.

Z

I know some dogs just lock onto an idea and they're off but maybe more obedience rather than or as well as agility?

If he could follow through on the Stay command, then I imagine it would have been very different?

Best of luck.

Z