Cutting Nails

I haven't had much experience cutting nails back (Chloe wouldn't let us do it - only the vet can). I've been diong Sasha's myself (when I can get her to sit there long enough). I cut as close to the quick as I can, then file them smooth. But they are still long and OH says I mustn't be doing it right (she scratched his neck this morning).

How often do they need to be done (I try to do Sasha's once a month) but they are still long but fairly smooth (unless cement roughs them up etc).

Just wondering how far back I can cut... I don't want to cut into that fleshy stuff under her nails (is it called the quick?), but her nails are still really long... I dont think there's anything wrong with them, but OH says they were much shorter when she came to us (not sure how). Or any advice on how to correctly cut them?

Help please? :thumbsup:

Is there any way to retard the quicks growth?

Looks like that's probably what's happened, but is there anyway to correct it now?

And thank you HappyGirl :thumbsup:

If you take off a little bit of nail at a time the quick will gradually retract.

Edited by Miranda

Thanks Miranda, I will keep doing it more regularly, just little bits and hopefully the quick will get shorter and allow me to cut her nails shorter.

I was concerned maybe I was doing something wrong, perhaps once a month wasn't enough. I have a professional nail clipping set so I guess I cant be going too wrong.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

I was concerned maybe I was doing something wrong, perhaps once a month wasn't enough.

Once a week is better, depending on the dog. Some dogs seem to have nails that grow much quicker and stronger than others.

Nail length also depends on the surfaces on which dogs walk. If they do a lot of walking on concrete or other gritty surfaces, they may in effect file their own nails, leaving you less to do. Several months back, there was someone who posted an article on training your dogs to do their own nails (clicker training) by scratching them across a sandpaper-board.

Nail length also depends on the surfaces on which dogs walk. If they do a lot of walking on concrete or other gritty surfaces, they may in effect file their own nails, leaving you less to do. Several months back, there was someone who posted an article on training your dogs to do their own nails (clicker training) by scratching them across a sandpaper-board.

The lower level of my house has concrete floors. My dogs also walk/run a lot. I haven't clipped their nails in over a year (except the dew claws). Everytime I see the vet I ask him if the nails need clipping, but he says that are getting naturally filed. They are really short, close to the paws.

She walks and runs alot on our entertainment area which is concrete (with the tiles stenciled on) but I guess it's not rough enough to file them back enough. When we walk, we usually do majority of it on concrete paths too. I guess this is not doing enough naturally, so I'll try weekly and see how I go. She's not too bad if she's in a good mood and will lie there patiently. But when she's had enough, she's had enough. :thumbsup:

Perhaps if we do it more regularly too she will become alot more patient (as it does take me a while cause I dont want to hurt her and Im no expert!!)

Ok, I will try doing it weekly and see how we go - thanks. I think her nails must grow really fast (and yes they are very strong!!).

Not sure how she will go with weekly nail trims, but with lots of bribes I think we'll manage :thumbsup:

The more regular its done the quicker it is. :rofl: The longer you leave it the more you need to take off & the longer & often the more unsure people come.

I have adog who grows them fast so i do it twice weekly because its just easier & takes all of 5 secs to do

Nail length also depends on the surfaces on which dogs walk. If they do a lot of walking on concrete or other gritty surfaces, they may in effect file their own nails, leaving you less to do.

I had one girl who I never had to do her nails - they either filed themselves or just did not grow (except the dew claws of course), yet another of my girls had the longest nails no matter what surface she was on - I'm sure they grew over night. I dremelled them every week and they were will always long and I could never really get "on top of it".

With my old lab, I have never once trimmed her nails in 13 years :thumbsup: When she was younger we used to walk/jog twice a day on roads and concrete paths, and now she is older she loves to hang out on our concrete courtyard. My litte dog doesn't wear his down quite as well...I tend to trim the tips off once a week. I'm not sure if the diference between him and her is a size thing, feet placement or what!

Yes Sash's just seem to grow so quickly... I can always hear them scraping on the cement when she's doing zoomies etc, but I don't think it's rough enough to do a good job.

I've also warned OH to stop encouraging her to jump up and play roughly, as of course a dog will scratch you when they are playing so rough and jumping/rumbling. :thumbsup:

She doesnt jump on me much at all anymore as I discouraged it.

My mums dog bites her own hind leg nails. Mum only has to clip the front ones. It is very strange she will sit there in front of you munching on them. Mum wishes she would start chewing the front ones too as it is mission to cut them she freaks out. :thumbsup:

My mums dog bites her own hind leg nails. Mum only has to clip the front ones. It is very strange she will sit there in front of you munching on them. Mum wishes she would start chewing the front ones too as it is mission to cut them she freaks out. :wave:

LOL - a do it yourself dog... I like it!!!