Dogs Seeking To Eat Grass...

:thumbsup:

several of the dogs are looking to 'graze'... but there is not a blade of 'grass' around. There are shrubs and weeds... which are nibbled on to various extent.

one dog at present has pigged out on a native bush.. and is throwing up bits of leaf and stalk matter.

I am trying to germinate some wheat........ so there is something................ is there anything easy I can add to the food ? Some on great barko- some on raw.....

psyllium? spinach? lettuce? grated carrot?

This has never happened before... but it's so dry :thumbsup:

I have cat grass i got from bunnings ages ago, it is for the cats, but both dogs will munch on it when they are inside. Not sure how it would go, mine are only in little pots that get rotated every few days.

Just had an thought!

Nic, Lofty has a clam shell in her back yard, she filled it with soil and grass seeds, could you do something like this? then stick a bucket in the shower, and the water can get tipped on it and help it all grow?

Edited by Teebs

How about getting them some celary and carrots to munch on for treats.

ermmm these are 'bush' working dogs :thumbsup: They wouldn't know a carrot if they saw one.

I am happy to grate it up and mix it in food if it will help.

:thumbsup: But food is food no matter what sort of dog you are.

I have been thinking of doing a poll on this topic. Asking if your dog does eat grass, and has no medical problems, do you feed food processed veggies. I have a feeling that the majority of dogs that eat grass don't get veggies & fruit in thier normal diet.

the clam shell sounds like a good idea cause it wouldn't have holes to drain the water out, you wouldn't need alot of water to keep it going. My dogs eat so many plants of their own choice, I just dug up some seedlings last week from the park. It's a patch of weeds, maybe wild mustard or rocket that they eat, so now I am cultivating some here for them. Puck can hardly wait, I have to keep it covered till it establishes but he's been poking his nose through the wire and plucking the little seedlings.

I think the grated vegies also sound like a good idea for your dogs Persephone.

Comparing my high rise tabby, Tommy, to your mob may seem a bit of a stretch...however, I sprouted him wheat. When it was ready, I would show him the tray and he would cry and jump up at it. Certainly hit the spot. This here dog adores lemon grass to the extent that I have to isolate it to allow it to grow. Do you fancy trying a pot or more of lemon grass?

I think grasses have that mysterious X factor that can't be replicated with added vege. Free range canines :D