Advance = Eukanuba Or Royal Canin?

Our 10 week old pup is on Advance Puppy dry food, amongst other things. This is what he was fed by the breeder and we were given some when we picked him up. However, it is very hard to track down where we live so we'd like to try something else. Our vet recommened Eukanuba or Royal Canin (neither of which he sells). Is anyone able to shed some light on which would be best, or at least most like the Advance? I've had a look at the ingredients list of each on the net but they all look like their made of the same stuff...or am I just daft :)

IMO - If you ae unable to get advance, I would go Royal Canin over Eukanuba :) but an idea would be to get some now while you still have advance so you can slowly swap the puppy over to the new stuff :love:

What type of puppy do you have?

We've got a lab. Who is currently asleep in my lap with his head on the keyboard, so i'm typing around his face... :)

Another question sorry - we feed chicken or lamb mince every night, with the dry food. I'm currently buying the 'pet mince' from the butcher, but is this stuff ok? It looks rather revolting.

I'm currently buying the 'pet mince' from the butcher, but is this stuff ok? It looks rather revolting.

Yep it's fine :)

We feed our dogs chicken pet mince from the butcher and eagle pack puppy dry food

I'd go with the Royal Canin :) You should be able to get it from your local pet supply place :love: If you want to tell us yuor rough location (eg nearest city) we can probably share the info of who is good in the area and the best places to get what you need :eek:

I feed my pups on Royal Canin and don't have any problems with this. They really like it but i do mix it with other things such as mince and some vegetables. I originally bought Euk my ended up taking it back after reading many kibble threads on DOL and changed to the RC.

I feed my dogs on Advance & admit it's not always available at my local pet shop, have to go to a pet warehouse. I've heard RC is much better than Euk. As far as the pet mince goes does it contain crushed bone as well? I would rather feed raw chicken bones, lamb flaps or necks etc in place of a stodgy mince.

Also it is recomended to separate kibble feeds from raw meat feeds because kibble takes longer to digest than raw bones/meat & the meat can spoil in the gut behind kibble.

I have to say I feed a combination of Advance and Royal Canin as personally I find they are very good brands nuritionally and my dogs do very well on it, lovely weight, good health and beautiful glossy coats :party:

Some places will deliver aswell if you cant get it in your direct area :laugh:

My boy came to me on Eukanuba puppy food but we changed him over to Royal Canin after that first bag was finished and he has been on it since .... we are quite happy with it and he loves it (ok as long as it appears to be edible he would love it as he is a GSP) .....

Also it is recomended to separate kibble feeds from raw meat feeds because kibble takes longer to digest than raw bones/meat & the meat can spoil in the gut behind kibble.

So...that means that the meat seperates enough that it doesn't digest until after the kibble does? - by that idea shouldn't the meat digest while the kibble 'spoils'?

Meat and bone digest at different rates - different foods of different densities digest at different rates - going by poo output different meats can be digested at different rates *shrugs*

I've never had a problem feeding a mix of foods - but i am sensible about it - eg i'm not about to munch on glass of milk and some sardiens so i won't give that as a mix for the dogs....mind you some of the stuff i've seen them eat it's more for my state of mind then their tummies!

We fed Eukanuba for around a year, and the dogs did great on it but after researching the Barf Diet and starting the dogs on that we no longer feed kibble....

$115 for a 12kg bag of Euk was way too much for us and then I found out Eukanuba is owned by IAMS and they still test their product on animals :) so I will never feed it again, no matter how well they did on it.

I was actually told not too feed dry and meat together as is throws out the balance of the nutrients such as calcium and phosphorus.

I prefer feeding Proplan over Euk but i know many who are really happy with Euk.

Maybe ask your breeder what she/he thinks - they may have a preference and some breeders do like to have an input on what their pups are raised on.

• 3 months later...

Muffinmclay, My puppy was on Advanced to then I swapped him to Eukanuba. I havent tried that third one but he is quite happy on the Euk, I also feed him the pet mince and have no problems.