Advance = Eukanuba Or Royal Canin?

Dont touch advance - contains cancer causing compounds, try eagle pack or artemis

What are they? Do you have any links? I know a lot of people who feed Advance (we even used to) so I'd like to show them if there's proof.

We fed Euk to our dogs for a number of years - the last two dogs (rottie and GSD) both had prostate issues. Rottie got an enlarged prostate - and has since died. GSD stopped peeing one night and after $4,600+ for emergency surgery, ICU and ongoing hospital costs - he also had a suspect prostate. GSD also had developed a lump on his side which was surgically removed.

My parents dog developed a massive growth on the side of his neck - also fed Euk.

All three cases may not have anything to do with Eukanuba but I didn't want to take the chance when our GSD pup came along. I was going to change to Royal Canin but new pup wouldn't eat it, went to try Artimas (older GSD loved it) but opted to feed raw. Both dogs are doing wonderfully on it - even the older GSD who was always difficult to keep weight on (when he was younger).

Edited by Tilly

Dont touch advance - contains cancer causing compounds, try eagle pack or artemis

Would you mind expanding on the cancer causing compounds in Advance please.

I would be very interested to know what those cancer causing compounds are.

I don't feed it but the breeder had weaned one of my small breed pups on Advance Rehydrateable.

I gradually changed him over to a BARF diet.

Akira if you're going to spread the panic at least back it up with some information :thumbsup:

some Advance products simply contain the word 'preservative' I would be questioning the company as to what that is exactly that they will not name it on the packet.

I like Advance. And my dogs do well on it.

Great weight, healthy, coats look amazing. And they have all the energy in the word- never a dull moment here. :thumbsup:

They will be moved onto mostly raw meats and advance dry over the next week though.

I've had no problem with Advance, and have been told nothing about these cancer causing compounds from other breeders.

My vet has recommended Advance to me also, and she feeds it to her dogs.

I personally see no problem with it and am VERY happy to be using it.

I feed my dogs on Advance & admit it's not always available at my local pet shop, have to go to a pet warehouse. I've heard RC is much better than Euk. As far as the pet mince goes does it contain crushed bone as well? I would rather feed raw chicken bones, lamb flaps or necks etc in place of a stodgy mince.

Also it is recomended to separate kibble feeds from raw meat feeds because kibble takes longer to digest than raw bones/meat & the meat can spoil in the gut behind kibble.

i feed RC now and again but mostly raw.

Do you have any references on that? I'm keen to read up on it. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

RC is slightly better than Advance, and I feed my dogs on RC. I would recommend the RC Lab specific diet as it has kibbles especially made for labs - slows ingestion as they have to CHEW their food rather than inhale it lol! It also has L-Carnatine which breaks up the fat molecules and mobilises them so they can be converted to muscle, which basically means it helps control weight. It also has 33% protein, which makes them feel fuller for longer. The other bonus of RC over Advance is that it has a higher amount of glucosamine and chondroitin for joint maintenance.

But, its all about whatever your dog does well on and is happy to eat. My dogs get dry only with the occassional treat, but if you wanted to feed meat you can although its not necessary as the dry food is a complete diet. If you want to feed meat or canned food, you should feed about 80% dry to 20% wet food.

If you do decide to change over foods, regardless of the brand you should do it gradually. This ensures the gut flora can adjust to the new food and reduce the chance of diarrhoea. You should do this over about a week if you can. So day 1 have 3/4 of the original diet to 1/4 of the new, then half/half and so on. Some dogs are fine, but its always better to be safer than sorry!

All of those brands offer a 100% money back guarantee so if you do want to change over and your pup doesn't like it you can take it back where you bought it from (with receipt) and get a refund. They also have a loyalty program - Euk and RC have buy 10 bags get one free, ADV, buy 8 get one free. ADV used to be a bit cheaper but its slowly creeping up to much the same price as the others now...

Hope that helps!

Both our dogs are fed on the RC food, the husky is on Medium Junior and the Dane is on Giant Junior. I've found that Keeley (The dane) has done best on the RC, although she has been on both Euk and Advance as well at different stages. Our dogs are fed mostly kibble only with an occasional treat of some meat or canned food to make things interesting

Also Mudget, not sure if it has done so in Victoria as well but over here in SA the Advance frequent buyers has been increased to 10 bags before the free one as well

Both our dogs are fed on the RC food, the husky is on Medium Junior and the Dane is on Giant Junior. I've found that Keeley (The dane) has done best on the RC, although she has been on both Euk and Advance as well at different stages. Our dogs are fed mostly kibble only with an occasional treat of some meat or canned food to make things interesting

Also Mudget, not sure if it has done so in Victoria as well but over here in SA the Advance frequent buyers has been increased to 10 bags before the free one as well

That's interesting! No, in Vic it's still 8 bags. I'm a dog groomer working at a petstore, which is why I know the difference for the different products. I wonder if they will be changing it across the board or if its a shop specific thing? Will have to suss it out...

That's interesting! No, in Vic it's still 8 bags. I'm a dog groomer working at a petstore, which is why I know the difference for the different products. I wonder if they will be changing it across the board or if its a shop specific thing? Will have to suss it out...

here in WA its also 10 bags...for Advance

It's been changed in Victoria to buy 10 get one free for some months. I guess it will depend upon the store on how big their customer base is and how quickly they get through the cards the have.

Sags

I'll have to check on this as I have been buying since February and have NEVER gotten any card for a certain amount and then get a free bag. I probably wouldnt have all the reciepts anymore though.

I know for Hills and RC it has to be 10 bags at the same store or vet clinic because we have to lodge the receipts for the client.

I'll have to check on this as I have been buying since February and have NEVER gotten any card for a certain amount and then get a free bag. I probably wouldnt have all the reciepts anymore though.

I know for Hills and RC it has to be 10 bags at the same store or vet clinic because we have to lodge the receipts for the client.

Yeah, it has to be purchased at the same store. Some stores still work on the card system, where you get it stamped for each purchase. Some stores work in conjuction to their membership card, so it gets automatically recorded when you purchase. It is also for the most frequently purchased bag size. But if say you have purchased 9 15kg bags and one 4kg you will only get a 4kg free, so its best to have a seperate card for the smaller bags to maintain your big freebie!

It's interesting that our store hasn't changed ADV to 10 bags, unless I've missed something (seeing as I'm stuck in the grooming room for most of the day!) Eeek! Thanks for the info so I can check up on it!!

It is also for the most frequently purchased bag size. But if say you have purchased 9 15kg bags and one 4kg you will only get a 4kg free, so its best to have a seperate card for the smaller bags to maintain your big freebie!

i'm of the understanding that if u buy 9x15kg and 1x4kg bags u have still purchased more 15kg bags so would get a 15kg free. so even if u buy 4 x4kg and 6 x 15kg u should recieve a 15kg free. if it were 6x 4kg then u would only get a 4kg free- so thats when u would have a extra card. thast what happens where i am.

kim

Edited by petmad

Unfortunately it depends what brand.

Royal Canin are nice like that and even if it's 6 large and 4 small bags they will honour the size most purchased.

Hills and Eagle Pack are not that way AFAIK. If you have a small bag on the card and the rest are large, well it's matched to the smallest size purchased. I have not bought EP for some time so happy to be corrected. :laugh: