Final Preparation Questions Before Pup Comes Home

all that glitters

Yup from a very very good GSD breeder in VIC! :)

Met them on the weekend and I am sooo happy I am buying a pup from them, they were as lovely as I hoped they would be, and their GSDs were so beautiful, no ugly slope backs and lovely temperaments!

Edited by Shellectra

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup from a very very good GSD breeder in VIC! :)

Met them on the weekend and I am sooo happy I am buying a pup from them, they were as lovely as I hoped they would be, and their GSDs were so beautiful, no ugly slope backs and lovely temperaments!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :( you calling my dogs ugly :wave:

Not at all Pockets! I was imagining the American GSDs with the exaggerated slopes and roach backs, I was just happy to see that the breeders dogs were lookin good :wave:

Feel free to share pics of your dogs with me anyday!! :( Im sure they are stunners!

Edited by Shellectra

What is your long term plan for confining her when you aren't at home? Personally, I'd be wanting to go to that situation as soon as practicable.

I fear for your lino confining a large breed pup on it while you are at work. You will find it more difficult to toilet train her if she can't access outside and prepare yourself for at least a few evenings of coming home to find poo tracked all over the lino. :love:

The sooner she as 24/7 access to outside the better in terms of her toilet training.

Yes, please post a pick Pockets! :laugh:

poodlefan - Well longterm I don't mind if she stays inside at all, she would have 3 cats for company when she becomes older. Or if she prefers the outside she can be outside. I wanted to put a doggy door in for her, but it would be big enough for humans to fit through, so maybe not a grand idea! Unless I deadbolt the lino room two sliding doors so all they can access and steal is some knives, pool table balls, and kitchenware :laugh:

Im not too worried about poo on the lino as it's better than carpet I guess?

Yup from a very very good GSD breeder in VIC! :rofl:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :laugh: you calling my dogs ugly :laugh:

No! she was calling my dog ugly!!

they [GSDs] are such a true dog to me (a lot of other breeds aren't proper dogs IMO haha!). I've always been drawn to breeds that have the shape of a dog (much like a wolf), long noses like wolves, long legs and sturdy paws.

Poor Hugo!!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Bindii

Yes, please post a pick Pockets! :laugh:

poodlefan - Well longterm I don't mind if she stays inside at all, she would have 3 cats for company when she becomes older. Or if she prefers the outside she can be outside. I wanted to put a doggy door in for her, but it would be big enough for humans to fit through, so maybe not a grand idea! Unless I deadbolt the lino room two sliding doors so all they can access and steal is some knives, pool table balls, and kitchenware :thumbsup:

Im not too worried about poo on the lino as it's better than carpet I guess?

What I would be worried about is having a large breed pup confined to lino 9 hours a day. It can be slipperty (not good for a developing skeleton) and she won't get a lot of exercise or stimulation. Personally I think outside (perhaps with a secure run) would be better - certainly better for getting a decent amount of Vitamin D.

I can't see too many potential burglars wanting to go past a GSD to use her dog door but I suppose you never know.

Well we are thinking of putting the doggy door in anyway, and putting locks on the two lino room sliding doors, so that if someone gets in they can't get into the other rooms of the house.

So she can go in and out! :thumbsup:

May not install it til shes a bit bigger tho, ill give it a few months.

Gee can you see where I get my worry issues from, mum goes to me tonight "if you install a dog door and burglars see it, they will bait and poison your dog so they can then gain access to it".

Surely that won't happen? Surely other people have a big dog door open for their dog when they are at work!

Surely that won't happen? Surely other people have a big dog door open for their dog when they are at work!

I have a big hole in my back door so I can set it up that the dogs can get into the kitchen when I am away. The door from the kitchen to the rest of the house has a simple hook thingee on it, mainly to stop the door coming open accidently as I have 3 house cats.

WOW Pockets he is beautiful!! And massive! Can't believe that lil pup turned into such a giant majestic dog!? Amazing! :thumbsup:

Thankyou for sharing!!

---

Rebanne - Yup well thats what we want to do! I have 3 indoor cats also! Going to Bunnings with dad for lockey things and plywood etc, yays!

Hi Shellectra

Just on the dog door thing, I think you'll find your cats won't use it, it will be too heavy. My cat only just tolerate her cat door and its the smallest one you can buy. I'm going to get a dog door too, but probably when Bronte's much older and furniture safe. Her toilet training (day 2 1/2) is going well.

Not long now.

Shel