Susan Garratt Recall Training

That technique of hiding so that the young pup turns around and sees you gone and wants to find you was one that Dunbar demo'd in a video at his conference too.

Works with adult dogs who've gone temporarily 'deaf', too. :love: A friend di it with her UD-trained Golden one time - his face was an absolute picture :love:

Hiding works great for dogs who actually give a shit whether you are there or not :laugh:

That's so true! I'm sure some dogs wouldn't care at all!! :laugh:

Even off lead Jedi rarely leaves me... He's what one would call a 'velcro' dog... Even if I release him he needs lots of encouragement to go and play with his dog friends! He would definitely notice if I went 'missing' all of a sudden!!

Hiding works great for dogs who actually give a shit whether you are there or not :laugh:

Works really well with Montu.

Hehehe, so true. Daisy couldn't give a crap if she couldn't find me, unless it was dinner time, and she was hungry (and the bin was empty, there was no food on the counter, and she couldn't get into the cat food) :laugh:

I add without malice or ego..........but does anyone else wonder - due to the example via the you tube, and its relatively basic example....the trainers "world" training ability/strength?

Dogs training can be as simple or.......difficult as we make it.

The hiding game works well here, too, and have been doing it since Ruby was a pup. A trainer at my local club gave me the tip which I thought was fantastic :laugh: And it really was. Hide behind a tree or something and it doesn't take long for even my independent girl to start running around frantically looking for me! The look on her face is pure panic, and it's the only time I enjoy seeing it on her face! :rofl::rofl: Because it makes her remember to keep an eye on me next time :)

Hiding works great for dogs who actually give a shit whether you are there or not :rofl:

Agreed. Dunbar was talking about doing it when the pup is young and still dependent. It would still work on one of my adults, but the other wouldn't turn a hair if I disappeared for 5 minutes. If I disappear for a day she misses me, but that's no good for training recall :laugh:

Hiding works great for dogs who actually give a shit whether you are there or not :rofl:

Agreed. Dunbar was talking about doing it when the pup is young and still dependent. It would still work on one of my adults, but the other wouldn't turn a hair if I disappeared for 5 minutes. If I disappear for a day she misses me, but that's no good for training recall :p

Yep, would have worked well for Axle as a pup but then he had a recall as a pup anyway :laugh:

I find the main problem I used to have with recalls was recalling the dog when I knew they wouldn't come back & recalling too many times. On walks now I only recall Gizmo 4-8 times (over 25 minutes) and even some days that's too many and his enthusiasm drops. He still returns relatively quickly but you can tell he isn't "enjoying" it.

Montu's recall is suffering as I've not done much work on it. If he catches a scent (usually a rabbit) he runs for about 50m (we're on 8 acres so he can do that without crossing into the neighbours house) and realises he left me and comes rocketing back. I really need to work on it.