Puppy And Cats

all that glitters

Well I was very worried bringing Shyla home because we have 3 cats who have lived and grown up here for 4 yrs, and the house is their domain. I was worried they would become different and less affectionate/would get anxiety etc. But I have to say they dealt with it MUCH better than expected! Salem our 8kg big cat I knew would be fine, and he is, he even lets her sniff his head and jump on him without giving her a whack. The two girl cats (sisters) are more bitchy, but will happily walk past her and do their normal cat stuff, they just flatten their ears back and get VERY narky and angry if she barks at them and wants to play. I guess to them it looks threatening/like unwanted behavior.. if only they knew her intentions! :kissbetter:

But after a few swipes from them, she knows she can try to rouse them up, but to keep that little 'distance' which is good.

So how did everyone else find their resident cats coped with a puppy coming home?

Lovely!! You can get some great photos!!

We have always had several dogs and cats together, no problems, even with rescues or visitors. I suspect it maybe because we have the cats are the kings of the castle type vibes in the house!! Even dogs who visit and are cat chasers, never go for our cats (4) and I have had both together for 49 years without anything happening, even with sighthounds, cattle dogs etc. :hug:

Your lot sound wonderful!! I think the girls can be bitchy too, boys are so 'blah' whatever :kissbetter:

100_1082.jpg

picture0006-2.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

AWW what beautiful photos!!!!! :hug:

Wow if mine ever get that close to her it will be a :kissbetter: moment lol!

Once Shyla gets over the 'oooo cat, lets chasey and play!' phase I think we might start to see them taking on friendships! When shes fast asleep on the floor, even the biatches come over and give her fur a good sniff.. so thats a good sign!

Right now shes sleeping at my feet, I have a bitchy cat on my lap, and sooky big cat boy sitting next to her.. but he's also making sure she doesn't want up hehe. Other bitchy cat is on the couch above looking down.

BUT when my cats are scared/put off, one of the girls especially will hide in the closet and not come out for HOURS. She did that on the first night, but never hides now, phew! She's also been known to pee on dirty washing on the floor, or random towels and sheets lying around. Even a soft toy! Mum was like "shes gonna pee everywhere now cos shes jealous" but she hasent so far :hug:

Yes, peeing is nothing to do with 'jealousy' at all.

things will run really well once Shyla knows she is 'lower' than the cats, the cats have to be boss, simply because a dog can harm a cat if it thinks it is OK. They will all get on fine if they already are when Shyla is 'quiet' :kissbetter: I'd run a mile from a crazy pup too! :hug:

My dog LOVES my cat... unfortunately my cat does NOT feel the same way :):scold:

Appollo does his best to pretend that Kei doesn't exist, Kei does his best to make Appollo run so he can chase him :)

I think they secretly like each other though.

OH yeah the other good thing is that Shyla is crated at night so 1) the cats can relax and still sleep on top of me at night :rofl: and 2) they can sniff her through the crate bars when she is asleep and get used to her

jThat's a great idea, give the kitties a break :thumbsup:

My dog LOVES my cat... unfortunately my cat does NOT feel the same way :rofl::rofl:

Appollo does his best to pretend that Kei doesn't exist, Kei does his best to make Appollo run so he can chase him :thumbsup:

I think they secretly like each other though.

My ridgebacks used to do the same thing, they loved to chase the cats!!

No kitty chasing allowed here :thumbsup: ever. they can have a bit of a play like hide and seek, but no running or getting excited. No prey drive stuff at all. Could get out of hand one day, even by accident.

IMG_0028.jpg

It took quite a long time (several months) to make puppy Tarot understand that cats in the house are not "prey" even when they are running around. Just constant vigilance and encouraging her to be gentle. It helped that the ginger cat was determined to be friends.

No kitty chasing allowed here :rofl: ever. they can have a bit of a play like hide and seek, but no running or getting excited. No prey drive stuff at all. Could get out of hand one day, even by accident.

Tried for 10 years to stop the dogs chasing the cats, unfortunatly only the one dog stopped, the other one is a bit of a free spirit ADD dog. My cats are in quarantine on their way to me in Perth and the dogs are staying with my mom. I am getting a lab puppy in 4 weeks and I am going to try my best to teach him that chasing is not allowed! Its easier when you only have 1 puppy at a time, even if i have to keep him on a lead inside he will listen!!

I think it has a lot to do with the age and breed of cat. I have two Ragdolls, aged 10 and 11. I also have an 11 year old Maine Coon. My puppy, Max, is almost 8 months old and the whole cat/dog thing has been a nightmare from the start!

The Maine Coon weighs in at 12kg and has never been scared of Max, but Max makes the poor boy's life a bit miserable, getting worse as he gets older. Max is due to be desexed this Friday and I'm hoping with all my heart that when the testosterone leaves his system in a couple of weeks, things will be a little better.

My Ragdolls, on the other hand, have NOT taken things well at all! They haven't voluntarily come out of their section of the house since Max came home. I've tried absolutely everything to make them feel more secure, but nothing has worked. I have a puppy gate dividing the house in two and the Raggies stay down their end. They hate it too, because Ragdolls are very much 'people cats' and always want to be with their humans.

Nothing I've done so far has stopped Max chasing the cats - he's extremely territorial and VERY jealous over me. I've been doing training every day with him since he was about 12 weeks old, but he's completely deaf when it comes to the cats.

I'm just hoping that things improve with his desexing and also as he gets older. If not, I'll just have to have a divided house forever!!

I'm glad it's worked out for your pup and cats - I'm also bloody jealous! Lol!

I think it has a lot to do with the age and breed of cat. I have two Ragdolls, aged 10 and 11. I also have an 11 year old Maine Coon. My puppy, Max, is almost 8 months old and the whole cat/dog thing has been a nightmare from the start!

The Maine Coon weighs in at 12kg and has never been scared of Max, but Max makes the poor boy's life a bit miserable, getting worse as he gets older. Max is due to be desexed this Friday and I'm hoping with all my heart that when the testosterone leaves his system in a couple of weeks, things will be a little better.

My Ragdolls, on the other hand, have NOT taken things well at all! They haven't voluntarily come out of their section of the house since Max came home. I've tried absolutely everything to make them feel more secure, but nothing has worked. I have a puppy gate dividing the house in two and the Raggies stay down their end. They hate it too, because Ragdolls are very much 'people cats' and always want to be with their humans.

Nothing I've done so far has stopped Max chasing the cats - he's extremely territorial and VERY jealous over me. I've been doing training every day with him since he was about 12 weeks old, but he's completely deaf when it comes to the cats.

I'm just hoping that things improve with his desexing and also as he gets older. If not, I'll just have to have a divided house forever!!

I'm glad it's worked out for your pup and cats - I'm also bloody jealous! Lol!

I also tried my best with the ridgebacks but the dogs never learnt, my cats were one and two when I got the pups, even though they were young they never accepted the dogs and the dogs never stopped chasing the cats, dogs thought it was a fun game to chase them. Will post back if i get it right with the lab and the cats...

Thanks, Candi - how are you coping with your cats being in quarantine? My Raggies were in there for 5 months when I moved back from the US. They were none the worse from the experience, but it damned near broke my heart!

Thanks, Candi - how are you coping with your cats being in quarantine? My Raggies were in there for 5 months when I moved back from the US. They were none the worse from the experience, but it damned near broke my heart!

I hate them not being home, mine are in JHB until 13 august, they fly to Perth that day and come out sometime in September. Its 7 months in total from RSA to Australia.

I hate them not being home, mine are in JHB until 13 august, they fly to Perth that day and come out sometime in September. Its 7 months in total from RSA to Australia.

Awww...I feel for you. I was a mess when my guys were in Eastern Creek (NSW). But luckily, I live in Sydney so I could visit them once a week.

I don't recommend it, though - all it did was upset me and them. Seeing my two sooky ragdolls, who were (and still are) horribly spoilt, in an outdoor enclosure with very little shelter was just awful. The carers at Eastern Creek were lovely, but there's only so much they can do to provide the comforts of home. I'll never move overseas again and take animal with me!

My Vizsla is TERRIFIED of our cat (Marcellus)...

Our cat also hates Zac... if Zac so much as puts a paw out of his bed (inside) the cat swipes him and hisses.

The cat pushes Zac off his dinner, steals his chicken wings & necks...

And Zac won't do anything!

Zac was on the couch last night with us and the cat was NOT impressed. He sat on the floor in front of Zac, staring him down and Zac kept looking away and not making eye contact. Zac ended up jumping off the couch and running back to his bed - which is in another room!

Some things just sort themselves out... some don't...