Feeding My Mal

beccaul

i have an 18 week old mal. i dont like canned food so she has puppy kibble and a mix of raw foods ( fresh chicken or beef cubes with veges, large meaty uncooked bones etc). Bushes make a kangaroo steak for dogs that she loves too, has anyone else tried it? also i read that some fish is good for mals is this true? would like to hear what other mal owners feed their dogs. also she already weighs 20kg but is not at all fat. i keep hearing differing info on mals weight so is she large or average? her father was huge but the breeder said that she probably wouldnt get that big. thanks

if you do a search, you will find heaps of info on raw feeding!!

One of my dogs HATES roo, she wont go near it, but the other will scoff it down! Kaos wont even eat a roo bone!

My puppies are fed a quality large breed kibble (no supermarket brands) untill the age of 12-18 months, after this age I switch to a complete raw diet. I feed Eukanuba along with a dob of natural yoghurt, fish oil, vit C tablets (which is doubled when teething and if the feet start to turn out or go flat), along with fresh meaty bones such as lamb flaps/necks/tails, chicken frames, duck and of course, fish.

Mals do very well on fish and I feed it every second day - usually sardines, salmon or wild caught fish from our fishing trips. I usually just buy the no name cat food tins and feed 1/2 a can to each dog. I don't like to feed kangaroo or beef to Mals as it is too lean for them, some can even have reactions to it as they are not designed to ingest it (remember they mainly ate seal blubber and arctic animals with a high fat content).

Which breeder is she from or do you know which kennel bred her parents? Certain lines/kennels breed different sized Mals, 20kg is about average for a 5 month old pup (standard size) though. She should finish growing in height at about 7-9 months then slowly start to fill out till about 4 years (also depending on what lines are behind her) :laugh:

Kaos wont even eat a roo bone!

Shar throws up when given a roo bone :banghead: Not good, not good at all :rofl:

Hi,

I wonder if it is a Lab thing as my Lab will eat anything (yeah, nothing unusual there I hear you say) but will throw up when given roo. I caught her heaving and then vomitting it up after feeding roo mince/bones. It is a shame because it is a good all round meat, with little fat.

I was at puppy school last night and the vet nurse suggested roo bones, along with lamb and chicken bones for pups and dogs to eat as they are softer and easier on their teeth than beef bones.

That being said, I haven't my girl on it yet.

The pugs love roo.

Some dogs find it to rich and it gives them the runs.

Bushes seems very overprocessed to me. Having a look at the contents listed online I would be very carefull feeding it to a puppy as it contains added calcium and who knows what other preservatives to keep it fresh. The added calcium could cause problems with bones and joint growth.

You would probably be much better off just buying normal human grade meat and offal as well as chicken necks and lamb bones. Sardines are a good easy choice of fish to add.

You must remember that if you are feeding raw or even partially raw you must maintain the correct balance of bone to meat.

My two both love roo. My keeshond practically lives off the stuff because he's allergic to chicken/turkey.

I buy roo mince from coles/woolies and roo tail from the pet warehouse store. Just watch out though, it can be too rich for some dogs.