New Puppy On A Budget

IggiePiggie

HI!

So I had all my puppy plans set out.

I get paid monthly so i was to go buy all my supplies this weekend for when the puppy get here in 3 weeks.

However, as it goes in my life, my car broke down with major problems last week and i had to spend most of my puppy cash on fixing it.

SO

I am trying to do puppy preparation on a budget.

I had been looking at puppy pens online to buy for leaving the puppy inside when i got out. However they were almost $120.

I looked around the forum and saw the bunnings compost cages.

$26 - DONE

Another thing I found when i was on here was some DOLer with whippets had used a box as a crate and cut a whole in the fornt and filled it with blankets.

I am looking for more ideas i guess.

They dont have to be permanent as I get paid a week and a half after he gets here.

Ijust thought it would be a good place to share some ideas...

:rofl:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do NOT want to sound rude or anything, or offend you in any way, but can you really afford a dog? Unexpected costs can and do crop up from time to time, and it's important that if pup needs a vet now, he needs a vet NOW!

I've been lucky with my dogs, they haven't had any problems **TOUCH WOOD!** but I know others haven't enjoyed the same luxury. But even simple things like on-going worming and heartworming, flea treatments, quality food, etc etc etc all cost money and add up.

I do NOT want to sound rude or anything, or offend you in any way, but can you really afford a dog? Unexpected costs can and do crop up from time to time, and it's important that if pup needs a vet now, he needs a vet NOW!

I've been lucky with my dogs, they haven't had any problems **TOUCH WOOD!** but I know others haven't enjoyed the same luxury. But even simple things like on-going worming and heartworming, flea treatments, quality food, etc etc etc all cost money and add up.

Geeze... tough crowd here hay!! Lets hope your other responses are less judgmental and don't make too many assumptions about you!!

Zillions of dog owners wouldn't even bother to buy puppy pens and / or crates!!!!

IggiePiggie I bought one of those Bunnings cages too, aren't they great!! ( I got that idea off here also)... Would seem like there are quite a lot of 'Dogs members who appreciate saving a few dollars where they can :o

I'll be awaiting all your answers, I'm always keen to save it where I can 2. :)

Yes please do be sure you can cope in an emergency.... Anything can happen with a pup! Making sure you stick to the diet the pup is used to is important so you don't upset his tummy. So I wouldn't try cutting costs on food. So long as he has a warm, comfy bed it doesn't need to be fancy and you have the puppy pen sorted. You can pick up soft toys at op shops very cheaply. Feel them to make sure they are not bean filled though and check the eyes and nose etc. Bowls are not expensive. You will have vacinations and worming etc to pay for, possibly a vet visit. Many breeders like you to take the pup for a check up soon after you get them to have your vet check them over.

From your post it sounds like your financial issues are only temporary? Just wondering.. because the costs of microchipping/vaccinations/worming and the high possibility of vet care (lots of puppies require vet care early on in life) etc will add up so if you can't afford them right now perhaps it would be better to wait another next litter?

Puppies can be very cheap supplies wise, our breeder gave us a harness/collar some wormer, some food and he was already microchipped so that helped. You can get bedding for very cheap from op shops or if you have some old sheets/blankets etc. We used a cardboard box with our first puppy 20 years ago and the only problem was as he got older he shredded it to bits lol. You could get toys from op shops too.. for soft toys just rip off the eyes and stitch the holes (we do this at the shelter) some old maccas toys make great pet toys! One of Turbo's favourite puppy toy was a coke bottle lol. The $2 shops often have supplies that are really cheap (brushes, bedding, etc) and depending on what it is sometimes there's not much difference between them and their more expensive counterparts. Bowls we usually use human ones (again op shops if you don't have any spare lol).

We don't find supplies expensive (except when turbo when through a stage of destroying all his toys)...its really the healthcare side of things.

Check your local op shops for toys, bowls etc. Puppies don't need fancy bowls, just get some cheap second hand ones. Soft toys can be bought very cheap from op shops, remove the eyes, hard plastic noses and anything else puppy is likely to chew off and choke on. Baby chew toys can be good for little pups too.

While you're at the op shop, pick up some old blankets and towels. I buy all my dogs bedding from the op shop, I throw it out when it gets past being worth washing and just go buy some more.

Discount stores are great for leads and collars. You can pick up some very pretty ones quite cheap. Puppy will outgrow

thm very fast so no need to spend a whole lot on them. You can also get cheap brushes and combs, but beware of cheap slicker brushes, they can have very sharp pins, which can scratch.

Once you get back on your feet, put some money aside for emergencies. I have about $1500 in an emergency fund for the dogs.I hope I never have to use it but it's there just in case.

You don't sound rude.

I have back up cash for vet bills etc

I also have his worming down as well as that of my other dog and his first vet apointment.

Basically its just that because of the car, i no longer have money to splash out on his accessories or preparing the house, financially i will be right as rain about a week after he comes.

Thanks for the tips everyone etc.

No worries then.. puppies can be very cheap!

For Turbo we bought some really cute toy, a good collar/lead, brush, car harnes... bedding was second hand, a lot we already had as we had another dog. It really is only as expensive as you want it to be... puppies don't require all the expensive flashy stuff. Also our vet gave us a lot of freebies when we did puppy class which was great.

Maybe can you should consider buying pet insurance? Vet bill can end up in thousands of dollars. Choose the one which has a lower premium per year and higher excess fee, however not everything is covered.

and the high possibility of vet care (lots of puppies require vet care early on in life)

besides the expected costs of vaccinations and worming what are the high possibilities of vet care for a pup? Accidents and illness can cause strife at any age so what, specifically, causes a lot of pups to require vet care early in life?

Just that the young tend to have weaker immune systems and puppies are particuarly prone to stomach viruses/bacteria and often can require vet care for that.

Of course all their life they need vet care..but a lot of people seem unaware that you can get a pup and have it become sick the second day you have it and you may need money immediately for that. Some breeders may help out with this or even pet insurance but at vets you often need to give up front payment.

I also do the op shop and garge sales for cheap doonas, doona covers, blankets and towels for puppies bedding. Even picked up a few cheap cushions to throw into his bed - to make it more snuggly. I also got a couple of cheap bowls (50c each) for water - they are really heavy china bowls. I got his houndhouse off ebay.

I am looking around for a cheapish/bargin crate but definately don't want a cheap quality one ... it needs to be a heavy duty one.

Collar and leash were the stuff I brought for our current GSD when he was a pup ... but they were never used because he was too big for them.

I have brought numerous toys over the last couple of years and put them aside (rotation) for our current GSD ... so I can fish them out and use them.

My mum will make his doggy coats out of old towels and blankets or any old fabric she had around the place.

Edited by Tilly

I would recommend getting pet insurance if you have a limited income. About $35 a month for peace of mind.

When I got Angs I never dreamt that in less than 2 years I would have had around $6,500 in vet bills.

I would recommend getting pet insurance if you have a limited income. About $35 a month for peace of mind.

When I got Angs I never dreamt that in less than 2 years I would have had around $6,500 in vet bills.

Yes, I am getting Pet Insurance for my new puppy, it's just not worth the worry of something suddenly happening and having to decide whether to fork out THOUSANDS of dollars or not on your beloved pet. Dogs vet bills can easily work their way into the thousands of dollars, very quickly. Be it sudden accident, illness, or disease.

We were just finalizing which insurance company we wanted to go with tonight actually :thumbsup:

Make sure you read all the fine print with pet insurance ... a friend of mine was looking into it recently and some were only going to pay to a max of $500 on any claim/illness with a excess of $50 ... basically only paying out $450.

Others require you to pay upfront before claiming back any expenses - so you need to have the money available in the first instance.

We can't use pet insurance (because they are security dogs) so we set up an ING Direct account and have money taken out each pay - so we have some money set aside ... only it does take 24hrs to transfer back to my regular account. We do have alternatives in place and it all worked well when my GSD boy was sick last year and ended up costing $4,600.

Edited by Tilly

The discount stores usually have a great pet section with collars/leads/bowls/little coats/toys very cheaply from $2. Definately worth going to, especially as puppies grow fast so you don't want to spend alot on things they will grow out of. Don't cheap out on food though. Chicken necks from any supermarket make a brilliant addition to puppies diet and are cheap - can be chopped up or bashed with a mallet if puppy is not used to them. So is tinned fish (salmon/sardines/mackeral/tuna).

Edited by badboyz

the essentials would be

collar, $5 or under is all you need for now, it will grow out quick

some were to sleep, i was given a kennel, but i dotn use it, gave it back to my mate, a old bean bag for the day and a old sofa coushion for night is pefect, and usally free,

get a decent budget dry food, then some raw meat, ie chicken necks and also some sardies and yougourt,

thats about it really for the home, for toys just go to vinnes or an op store and get some stuffed toys, i did for around 50c each, weather you spent 50c or $50 on a toy, it will just end up ruined and chewed to death anyway

the killer is the dam vet bills, vacs and desexing ect

A word of warning, bean bags and dogs can be a very dangerous combination. Given that the bags are easily busted open. The beans seem to gain a static charge and stick to the dogs and apart from being eaten there is a risk of inhalation.

Cheap toys also pose a danger, pups and dogs are better off going without, rather than ripping apart and chewing up cheap toys.

I'd be calling the breeder and asking can you leave the puppy there for an extra week, until you can sort out it's basic needs and ensure it's safety.

The only thing I'd not suggest you not bargain hunt on is any processed food you feed.

Cheap kibble is false economy IMO - you'll be better off in the long run feeding the best stuff you can afford.

Charity stores are great for soft toys and bedding. Simple things like empty toilet rolls are good for destroying. You can get good deals buying veterinary products online and a few phone calls to vets with a comparison price on vaccinations might save you some $$$ too.

Fancy puppy collars are a waste of $$ anyway - pups grow out of them.

Oh, don't buy the nasty pet treats from discount store.. those rawhide chews could have anything in them. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

I'd be calling the breeder and asking can you leave the puppy there for an extra week, until you can sort out it's basic needs and ensure it's safety.

Hi PPS,

I'm not being obnoxious. but what do you mean?

I am not poor, I have vet bills etc covered.

I have its bed(quite safe) and its pen, as well as quality puppy food.

I am asking for ideas on how to cut costs with some things, but obviously if i feel cutting the costs on something with endanger the pup i won't do it.