New Puppy Home But We Are Being Bitten

giraffez

If you have bite marks then it stands to reason you have fleas (at least your dog does). If a dog is tolerant to fleas, and in not allergic, then often you don't see the bites on the dog. Fleas are still prolific at this time of year in some areas.

Stacks of breeds leave home clipped & groomed :birthday:

I didn't know that. In all my grooming years I've not ever had a pup clipped before coming here.

Quite a few pups breeders though, have offered to do the first groom for the puppy owner which I think is nice and fully encourage.

Admittedly there are a large percentage of pet shop puppies in this area.

Edited by Clyde

I may be wrong here, but didn't you mention in a previous post that the breeder uses Sentinel Spectrum? If she uses Sentinel on all her dogs I think it's unlikely that the puppy would be infested with so many fleas that they'd be biting you as well.

I may be wrong here, but didn't you mention in a previous post that the breeder uses Sentinel Spectrum? If she uses Sentinel on all her dogs I think it's unlikely that the puppy would be infested with so many fleas that they'd be biting you as well.

Hugo got fleas on Sentinel. It only sterilizes them, so fleas can still live happily on the dog, just can't create more. So you're right that it seems strange to have so many.... but many people have the problem of them living in the dirt etc... so maybe the pup has picked them up since coming home? Either way i'd try some advantage and if that doesn't work, look into it further. Maybe OP has allergies? Seems strange!

Maybe OP has allergies? Seems strange!

Very strange. The OP says she has bites all over her body, if there are that many fleas that they're biting humans to that extent I would expect to be able to see them. The dog would be crawling in them and they'd be clearly visible, especially if it's just been clipped. I was also thinking allergies.

Very strange. The OP says she has bites all over her body, if there are that many fleas that they're biting humans to that extent I would expect to be able to see them. The dog would be crawling in them and they'd be clearly visible, especially if it's just been clipped. I was also thinking allergies.

I'm wondering if any family member has spent a few nights away from home recently - could be bed bugs.

I'm wondering if any family member has spent a few nights away from home recently - could be bed bugs.

I never thought of that, could also be mosquitos. Flea bites usually have a red pinprick in the middle of them, if they're more like a red welt it could quite possibly be bed bugs.

Have you considered a mild case of sarcoptic mange (scabies)?

They love humans more then dogs and would explain you not being able to see them!

If it is extremely mild you may not yet see a skin irration and also due to the young age of the pup.

Advocate treats this but can not be used until the pup is 12 weeks, maybe have a chat with your vet.

EDIT TO ADD: if it is and you get a postitive skin scrapping I would take your whole family into the doctors to be treated also.

Edited by stacyk

They love humans more then dogs and would explain you not being able to see them!

If it is extremely mild you may not yet see a skin irration and also due to the young age of the pup.

Advocate treats this but can not be used until the pup is 12 weeks, maybe have a chat with your vet.

EDIT TO ADD: if it is and you get a postitive skin scrapping I would take your whole family into the doctors to be treated also.

Yep that's another possibility, but I'd be wondering where the pup picked it up. If the mites originated at the breeders the other dogs would be affected and the breeder would definitely know about it. Did you fly the puppy in a hired crate or have it delivered by a carrying company?

The symptoms in humans are generally temporary and subside once the dog is treated.

Yep this is correct. My pup is already on sentinel 3 weeks ago.

The bite marks are increasing each day. I still have not been able to locate a single flea. :thumbsup:

Haha maybe i have fleas? :)

Yep that's another possibility, but I'd be wondering where the pup picked it up. If the mites originated at the breeders the other dogs would be affected and the breeder would definitely know about it. Did you fly the puppy in a hired crate or have it delivered by a carrying company?

The symptoms in humans are generally temporary and subside once the dog is treated.

No Teddy travelled home in the car. I don't think its mosquitos either.... I've had mosquito bites in the past and its not the same marks.

haha sorry to keep everyone in suspense. Didn't have access to the computer during the day.

I inherited a new bite today when I got home.. :) But it is one so far for today. The other day was like 8. So maybe there is hope! Teddy is not scratching constantly, only once in a while. I seem to be scratching more than him! It could be something in the garden when we take him out....

By the way, i haven't given him any frontline/advantage. I want to be sure it is fleas before putting chemicals on him. I could try bathing him but want him to settle in the environment before I try something like that.

Edited by giraffez

Yep this is correct. My pup is already on sentinel 3 weeks ago.

The bite marks are increasing each day. I still have not been able to locate a single flea. :)

Yes Miranda does make a very good point. If you are being bitten the pup must have a fair amount of fleas which would be visible. How bizarre.