New Puppy Home But We Are Being Bitten

giraffez

Hi All

I've just brought my new puppy home and it has been great!

We however are having some problems with itching (not on the little pup) but on us! ;) I checked him and can't see any fleas in sight (its not flea season either) - he is clipped so should be relatively easy to spot. But i've been bitten by something like 10 times on my body and various family members have bites as well. He too is scratching a bit but i thought it was because he just had a haircut.

Is it fleas and is it okay to use frontline on the pup @ 10 weeks old? The packaging says its okay on puppies older than 8 weeks.

I'm curious which breed requires clipping at only ten weeks??

Just treat the pup for fleas so you can rule it out. If the packaging says it's fine, then it's fine ;)

Personally, I prefer Advantage for flea control. :)

I am allergic to my Bull Terrier, when i am playing with him, i get a red rash on me, it looks like bites, once i wash my hands/arms it goes away. I also get it with one of the other bullys at my work, but no others... could it be something like that?

Look for fleas and flea bites on the pups stomach (they do tend to run for cover) and look for flea dropping on his back at the base of the tail - they are small brown specks. I have never had problems with flea bites from a dog with only a few fleas - only when they have heaps.

I have used flea spots on on young pups but make sure you follow the directions.

We NEED pictures ;)

its a mini schanauzer.. I posted some pic in the schnauzer forum.

I got the clip so I could follow the lines... he is wearing a jumper in the night. In the day time he runs around mad ;)

Could it really be fleas? Isn't summer the season for fleas?

Isn't frontline better? It treats for ticks and lice as well? My previous dog was on frontline with no issues

Edited by giraffez

Just treat the pup for fleas so you can rule it out. If the packaging says it's fine, then it's fine ;)

Personally, I prefer Advantage for flea control. :)

Stacks of breeds leave home clipped & groomed ;)

All our minis go to there new homes fully groomed so the dog has a chance to settle & there first groom has been done by someone they trust & of course they shouldnt go to a salon until vaccinated.

It could be fleas although personally i would avoid frontline like the plague.To many dogs react to it.

Mini are highly allergic to fleas so if it is fleas there will be bit marks on the dog especially in the groin area as that where fleas like to hang & the dogs will chew/lick there.

Edited by settrlvr

Just treat the pup for fleas so you can rule it out. If the packaging says it's fine, then it's fine :laugh:

Personally, I prefer Advantage for flea control. :o

Stacks of breeds leave home clipped & groomed :rofl:

All our minis go to there new homes fully groomed so the dog has a chance to settle & there first groom has been done by someone they trust & of course they shouldnt go to a salon until vaccinated.

It could be fleas although personally i would avoid frontline like the plague.To many dogs react to it.

Mini are highly allergic to fleas so if it is fleas there will be bit marks on the dog especially in the groin area as that where fleas like to hang & the dogs will chew/lick there.

Nope no markings at all. How do I know if my pup is reacting to frontline. I still have 1 dosage left from my previous dog. Both of my previous dogs did not react to it and frontline worked really well with them.

I use Frontline on my minis (a friend did have 2 of her minis react to it) but I use the spray instead of the drops.

Is there any black specs in the coat or on the belly? If you see any put some damp, white tissue over them and see if you are left with a rusty red mark - that will be flea droppings.

It would be odd for the whole family to be getting bitten and not be able to see any fleas on the pup. I would be inclined to just bath the pup first (shampoo around the neck and then start shampoo at the back end and wirk forwards, then any fleas will move towards the head end and be visible in the shampoo layer around the neck.

Could there by bitting insects outside and you are all going out with the pup to toilet train and getting bitten that way?

Just treat the pup for fleas so you can rule it out. If the packaging says it's fine, then it's fine :laugh:

Nope no markings at all. How do I know if my pup is reacting to frontline. I still have 1 dosage left from my previous dog. Both of my previous dogs did not react to it and frontline worked really well with them.

Was the puppy washed before or after the clip?

I would definitely not use Frontline on a puppy.

Like Clyde and Rysup I would use Advantage.

I use Frontline on my minis (a friend did have 2 of her minis react to it) but I use the spray instead of the drops.

Is there any black specs in the coat or on the belly? If you see any put some damp, white tissue over them and see if you are left with a rusty red mark - that will be flea droppings.

It would be odd for the whole family to be getting bitten and not be able to see any fleas on the pup. I would be inclined to just bath the pup first (shampoo around the neck and then start shampoo at the back end and wirk forwards, then any fleas will move towards the head end and be visible in the shampoo layer around the neck.

Could there by bitting insects outside and you are all going out with the pup to toilet train and getting bitten that way?

haha could be. But we are being bitten underneath clothing. Maybe its hard to spot a black flea on a black coated dog... :laugh: I seriously could not spot any markings.... The only reason I suspect it to be fleas is that he is scratching every now and again. But the breeder didn't mention anything about fleas on the pup so thats why i;m a bit baffled about what it could be.

Was the puppy washed before or after the clip?

I would definitely not use Frontline on a puppy.

Like Clyde and Rysup I would use Advantage.

Washed before. Why not frontline? Has it had bad results?

He might be itchy with loose hair in his coat - same as when you come out of the hairdresser and he is also getting used to his coat feeling different.

Yes, it is possible for midges to bite under your clothes and go up trouser legs etc.

Give the pup a bath and see how he goes.

I was thinking if the pup had been just groomed and you have been holding him, maybe you all have some very fine hair on you from him being clipped, and that is what is making you itch?

Ten years ago one of my schnauzers had a very serious allergic reaction to Frontline and due to complications died.

I was thinking if the pup had been just groomed and you have been holding him, maybe you all have some very fine hair on you from him being clipped, and that is what is making you itch?

Ten years ago one of my schnauzers had a very serious allergic reaction to Frontline and due to complications died.

Sorry to hear that. But wouldn't there be a chance that advantage will have an allergic reaction aswell?

No, defintely not hair. I have bite marks all over my body.

But wouldn't there be a chance that advantage will have an allergic reaction aswell?

Dogs cope with different chemicals in different ways.

As the two products have different active ingredients, it is possible, but unlikely that he will be allergic to both.

I have used advantage on VERY young puppies, under vet's advice- it is a very safe product...

before using anything- check with the breeder, or the information sheet you received with puppy. there should be a record of any flea/worm treatments he has had...and when.

This way you can avoid using excess chemical :laugh:

Sorry to hear that. But wouldn't there be a chance that advantage will have an allergic reaction aswell?

No, defintely not hair. I have bite marks all over my body.

The bite marks have me baffled. :laugh::o

Maybe something in your yard when taking Teddy out to toilet?