I've Fallen In Love

I just had to share with you guys.

I am currently training (boarding/training) a Labrador whom I have fallen in love with :thumbsup:

Now don't get me wrong....I still love my Kelpies and GSD's, it's just that a Labrador has never stolen my heart like this one has. I have trained many dogs but none like this.

He's an American style Lab, you know the longer legged, boxier head type. He's 7 months old, has the sweetest eyes and is a very swtiched on young buck. When I first started training him, he was absolutely out of control....jumping, pulling, mouthing and super boisterous. He's come along way in 7 days and it's as though we've totally bonded and become a team.

This guy now heels like a champion, has the fastest drops, has focus to die for and we are even working on backwards and sideward heeling patterns. What a clever boy!. I so wish he was mine.

Have any of you guys (trainers or the like) ever worked a dog that wasn't yours that you secretly fell in love with it...wishing you could take him/her home?? Just curious.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a couple at the daycare I worked at that I would have loved to take home. Including a Labrador :thumbsup: - they are not normally my thing but this was a smaller built fellow with plenty of drive and so happy to work and very quick with commands.

Same Kavik, I've never really been "into" Labs...I like them but I have never considered owning one. But I just don't want any Lab....I want THIS boy!

Nekhbet, our handover day is on Monday. On one hand I need to demonstrate to his owners that I have taught him something, on the other hand I want him to be the little shite he was when he first arrived. Maybe I'll put some "bad" behaviours on cue like "No" means jump and "stop it' means mouth hands very hard.....Oh it's soooo wrong!!

Yes Kelpie i- a little maltese x bichon recently in for B+T who was amazing and achieved in less than 2 weeks what some dogs struggle to get in 3! Small fluffy dogs aren't usually my favourites but she had the focus and intelligence of a kelpie!!! Actually we also have a lab at the moment who is much the same- divine!!

Cosmolo - I've been meaning to tell you about a little fluffer we have in care at the moment who I think you would die for too!!! This thread reminded me. He is a 7 month old Papillon X Maltese that soooooo needs a home where he can use his brain. He is as active and switched on as a Kelpie and just dying to please. I've never met a little dog like him - he has obviously taken on a lot of the Papillon traits as I've seen many of them doing flyball & agility - that is what he was built for!!!!

I haven't put him up for adoption as the worng sort of people will want him because he is young and fluffy and I want him to work!!!!

Including a Labrador :)

That's highly insulting! :crazy:

Labs are perceived so wrong - until you get your hands on one, one will never know what a joy they really are. They aren't full speed 24/7, they do have the ability to chill out, soak up the love, and are very switched on! For the experienced trainer (which isn't me!), there's nothing they can't get a Lab to do!

The general public who don't own a Lab, see them when they are excited to be out and about (it's a very exciting time, you see!! :scared:) and condemn them as nothin' but trouble, but see them in their natural state at home, they are just cuddly bears and you hardly hear a peep out of them... my two are currently snuggled up next to the heater, and haven't moved for hours!

i agree with rubystar, Labs are often given a bad name because they are owned by the wrong people. They need to be taught right from wrong at a early age.

They are the biggest couch potatoes and will do anything to please you. I've owned thembeen owned by them for 32 years and will always have them in my life.

Working in the dog daycare I got plenty of opportunity to see Labs at their worst :) - most staff there agreed it put them off Labs for life :scared:

They are the ones that put massive holes in the walls at work with their heads and ate through the fences :) and screamed the place down at lunch time which was nap time/quiet time.

So yes I was very surprised when I found one that I liked :crazy:

No offence Lab people - I'm sure some of you don't like Kelpies or GSDs either :)

I also have a black lab. I grew up with labs and love them dearly. As mentioned previously until you actually own one and train one you will never know the joy they give their owners. My boy is so switched on its scary. Yes he can be over the top but he is being trained in self control which he is getting the hang of. They are so willing to be trained and please their handlers which adds to the joy of owning one.

Unfortunately most people only see them when are they are "misbehaving" and boistrous, and owned by people who have no idea what to do with them and only have them because they are seen as a "safe" breed.

I encourage all to take a look a lab that has had training or look after one in your home sometime. They are adorable and i will always have at least one in my life.

:scared:

I'm someone too who has never really been into labs for probably the opposite reason, all the labs I come across are massively overweight waddling things. As someone has already said, people seem to get them for the wrong reasons.

So rarely do you see a fit looking lab that it is kind of off putting. I also have been put off by the chocolate craze which has seen the rise of byb's and dodgy temps.

HOWEVER I saw one at one of K9 Forces workshops who was stunning to look at and a friend now has one who he exercises and trains regularly. Toby is a lovely dog and one I would be happy to own myself.

ETA: a lady I meet has a shitzu who I also have a secret crush on. Not a small dog person but this little girl is a real character :scared:

Edited by Quickasyoucan

I'm someone too who has never really been into labs for probably the opposite reason, all the labs I come across are massively overweight waddling things. As someone has already said, people seem to get them for the wrong reasons.

Yes, that's been my experience too. Most of the labs I see round here seem to be really out of shape and overweight, it's a pity since a trim lab is a nice enough looking dog, I just rarely see them that way.

Off topic, but this whole thread reminds me of an occasion a few years back when I was at obedience training with my SBT, waiting for our class to start, and a nice looking old lady with a miniature poodle gave me a conspiring look and whispered that my dog looked like a nice friendly dog but wasn't he ugly? She seemed quite oblivious that I might find her comment offensive. Though I suspect she would have been less impressed had I said the same thing about her little poodle! :scared: I guess we all find different things attractive.

I don't mind labs, I just find them a bit boring :thumbsup: My friend has a chocolate lab named Oprah and I love her, just not for me.

What is boring about them? Genuine question, I am going to collect my lab puppy next weekend and am very curiuos to hear your answer.

My OH also thinks they are boring :thumbsup:

On topic, there was also an Amstaff at the daycare that I loved - and they also are not normally my thing. This was a lean, athletic, highly driven dog who was very keen. A bit much for her owners I suspect :laugh: Would have made a lovely sports or working prospect with some work. Unfortunately as the daycare became busier, she found the environment too stimulating and we had to ask the owners not to bring her in anymore.

I don't mind labs, I just find them a bit boring :thumbsup: My friend has a chocolate lab named Oprah and I love her, just not for me.

What is boring about them? Genuine question, I am going to collect my lab puppy next weekend and am very curiuos to hear your answer.

Nothing in particular, the same reason I find BCs, goldies etc a bit boring, maybe it's because they are quite popular and you see them around a lot. They just don't appeal to me as a dog I would want to own and train etc.

I don't mind labs, I just find them a bit boring :p My friend has a chocolate lab named Oprah and I love her, just not for me.

Nothing in particular, the same reason I find BCs, goldies etc a bit boring, maybe it's because they are quite popular and you see them around a lot. They just don't appeal to me as a dog I would want to own and train etc.

That is my perception of BC's - way too popular in the dog sport world. Smart little buggers that are perfect for it, and even though I'm into dog sports, it's not a breed I actually want to own myself. So each to their own I guess. I just get my back up when people see these overweight, out of control Labs and paint all Labs with the same brush :eek: My girls are very trim and although highly excitable when they're out at a highly stimulating place, they are generally very well behaved young ladies! A joy to have.

I'm someone too who has never really been into labs for probably the opposite reason, all the labs I come across are massively overweight waddling things.

You do realise this is a fault of individual owners?

I don't mind labs, I just find them a bit boring :o My friend has a chocolate lab named Oprah and I love her, just not for me.

My OH wanted a BC but I wanted a lab.

After getting Scout He has totally changed. He is a total lab devotee now, we will always have a lab in our lives.