2 Puppies Not Working!

Hi guys,

I have just recently bought 2 puppies. I dont mind with the hard work really.

The problem is one of them really make lots of noise. He seems to bond more with us than with the other puppy.

Can anyone help???

2 puppies obviously not working for us!

G'day joee :thumbsup:

Can you provide a bit more info? Age, breed, how long you've had the pups, sex, when the pup seems to make the noise most, what you are doing with regards to feeding, training, interaction with them?

Are you in a position to talk to the breeder of these guys, if they know what they're on about? You WILL need to spend a fair bit of time with them, and yes, two pups are harder to deal with than one. But you've made your bed :cheer: You've come to the right place for advice though.

You might want to hit "report" on your topic though on the bottom left hand side to get this moved out of the BSL forum and into General Dog Discussion :cheer:

G'day joee :thumbsup:

Can you provide a bit more info? Age, breed, how long you've had the pups, sex, when the pup seems to make the noise most, what you are doing with regards to feeding, training, interaction with them?

Are you in a position to talk to the breeder of these guys, if they know what they're on about? You WILL need to spend a fair bit of time with them, and yes, two pups are harder to deal with than one. But you've made your bed :cheer: You've come to the right place for advice though.

You might want to hit "report" on your topic though on the bottom left hand side to get this moved out of the BSL forum and into General Dog Discussion :cheer:

they are labradors.. both 8 weeks. one choc one yellow. im planning to desex them as soon as possible.

Ive heard lots ot opinions saying that two puppies will bond to each other..

Ive got the yellow one first just yesterday, and everything seemed to be going well..he didnt cry at all! i put him inside the house because i still need to clean up the outdoor kennel.

Then i got the choc one this morning.

So I started to put both of them outside..

ive got an old shed, so I put the kennel in there and let them play inside..

then the yelping starts.. even in the morning, we cant leave the yellow one inside the crate! he cries cries and cries begging to go inside the house.. even with the choc one next to him..

but as soon as i carry him, he stops crying.

maybe its just bcoz i dont know how to crate train him.. or shed train him.. and ive bought LOTS OF treat for him but none of them work!!!

can anyone help me please?

maybe to make him love his new place?

I think it's way too soon to say the situation isn't working - you've had the pups less than 2 days! But that said, IMO two puppies together is a bad idea (even though I've done it myself) Is it possible to return one of the pups and just concentrate on raising one well at the moment? It may seem harsh to return a pup, but they've been gone from the breeder for such a short time that it shouldn't affect them or the litter.

Edited by Sandra777

Can you explain more about your situation.

What city are you in? Just to give an idea on temperature, maybe the cold is affecting them.

Are the pups intended to be purely outside dogs, will you not keep them inside when they are young.

You say you cant leave the yellow one inside the crate, where is the crate? Is it outside or inside?

Have you thought about returning them to where you got them from, 2 dogs are a hell of a lot of work, I know, ive done it.

Edited by BigDaz

Did the breeders of your puppies know that you were getting 2 puppies of the same age? Did they give you any advice or try to discourage you from getting two?

If you really want this to work I would buy another crate and bring them inside so that they can be around you and family and when they are outside play with them make them tired and they will then settle down and sleep. Also make sure that you give them individual attention.

It didn't take you too long to realize that you may have made a mistake.

If you really think you can't cope, make the descission to return 1 now before it is too late.

This is the exact reason why I will never sell anyone 2 puppies at the same time. I always tell them if you want a second come back when your 1st puppy is older.

Hi there,

You should come to the labrador breed subforum thread there are loads of breeders there who can help you with advise.

10 years ago I got 2 puppies together, ridgeback x bullmastiff, the one in particular was a very difficult dog on her own... she still is, the other one is easier, but together they were impossible to train together!! Now at 10 years old they are still not the most obedient dogs. I wish you luck, training one is hard enough but 2 is almost impossible. If you decide to keep both you should seperate them for training.

How much information did the breeder give you?

Start training them IMMEDIATELY, and get them into a routine ASAP. And be consistent, or you will have a harder road ahead of you.

I see Poodlefan is here - the cavalry has arrived :thumbsup:

Edited by caffiend42

You have only just got them! Literally.You can't judge the situation in 24hours.

It takes a few days for even just one pup to settle in - sometimes longer. Some pups take longer to come out of their shells. I assume they have left their litters so they have alot of change going on. The crying is pretty normal for a pup that has just left the nest only to be put outside with a stranger in a strange enviroment.

Give them time - lots of cuddles and love and let them adjust to their new surrounding. And bring them inside - they are 8 weeks old! Don't leave them locked in a crate for hours on end - they are puppies. They don't have bladder control and they are most likely not use to it - leave the crate door open and let them go in and out and learn that it is a safe place to be.

I had no problem training two puppies together (not siblings).

I found one learnt alot quicker than the other so I spent time training them together and apart and I found that the slower one actually picked up alot from the faster pup so my job wasn't too bad. To this day if I want to teach the girl something - I teach the boy with her there and encourage her to learn too and she copies him and picks it up in no time.

You just need patience. Do training separately and together - mix and match it depending on how your pups learn and their own personalities.

Edited by Ci

The problem is one of them really make lots of noise. He seems to bond more with us than with the other puppy.

Bonding with you more than each other is exactly what you want, otherwise it could be very difficult to train them or maintain dominance.

However they are so young and new to you and each other and the home at this stage that I'm not sure you can draw any conclusions.

Labs are a companion breed and even with each other they may just be happier and better behaved if they are inside dogs at least some of the time.

If you're crate training them perhaps consider having the crates in your room with you overnight so they're close to each other and you overnight and will quiet down and sleep. However you'll have to make sure they view the crate as a den they want to be in, rather than a punishment to isolate them, before this will work.

Hi guys,

I have just recently bought 2 puppies. I dont mind with the hard work really.

Can anyone help???

2 puppies obviously not working for us!

Hi joee,

You'll get more help by posting In the rite section, either Puppy Problems or Training/Obedience

Ask to have this thread moved, as It's not BSL related

Cheers

I see from the thread you started re Frontline that the puppies are actually only 7 weeks old.

I would say that a lot of the issue is that the pups will be missing their mother (and should still be with her) and are trying to adjust to the new environment without their litter. The mother teaches a lot to puppies in 6-8 weeks and they would have missed out on this.

Based on age I am guessing that you did not get them from a registered breeder so suspect you will not get a lot of help by trying to speak with them.

IF you are raising two Labrador pups together you will have your hands full but more certainly so if they have been removed from their dam before 8 weeks of age. The same can be said for any breed, there is a reason reputable registered breeders have all these guidelines in place.

I suggest that you contact the people you purchased these pups from and see if they will take at least one of them back. Although I dont really like your chances.

In the meantime, join us in the Labrador thread where you can liaise with other Labrador owners who may be able to offer you some handy hints plus some support.